Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 12th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 322Posts
    • 142Thanks
    Jack Itin
    Confusion Over Pension
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    Confusion Over Pension 12th Apr 18 at 2:17 PM
    O.k....The other day I received my Old Age pension notification letter, giving a figure of 147.81 per week.....the government website says that I will get 152.51 per week.....which is correct ??....the gov. website also says that my NI contribution record for 2017/18 is not available yet.....I have over 40 years of contributions.......any clarification welcome....
    Retired (Early) April 2015
Page 2
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Apr 18, 7:59 AM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Tom99
    Yes, it will be. Will you actually need it?

And, if you need any more, you could pay class 3 for 2015/16 (although it sounds as if you won't need to).
    Originally posted by greenglide
    I don't think 2015/16 would count even if needed as the OP already has 40 yrs NI
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 13th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    greenglide
    Doh. 2015/16 would get nothing as you say, 2016/17 could if the maximum nSP had not already been reached.
    • margaretclare
    • By margaretclare 13th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 10,162 Posts
    • 17,220 Thanks
    margaretclare
    No ......my Mrs. gets 200 fuel allowance, I assume that we both would not get it.......
    Originally posted by Jack Itin
    You get half each.
    r ic wisdom funde, r wear ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 13th Apr 18, 1:58 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Jack Itin
    O.k....I have just checked the Gov. website again, and it says in bold letters "YOU NEED TO CONTRIBUTE N.I. TO REACH YOUR FORECAST"....why does it say this if they know that I have over forty years of contributions ?....is there something that I am missing ?......am I doing right by ignoring this ?.......
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 13th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    greenglide
    What does the forecast actually say?

If you just need the contributions from the final year, 2017-18, then that will be OK.

You said that your SP award was around 147 or so? To get above that requires the 2017/18 contributions for which the autocredits may not be available yet.
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 13th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Jack Itin
    The letter dated 20 March says I will get 147.81 per week....but does say that this may change "due to changes in circumstances or uprating"......the Gov. website says my forecast is 152.51 per week...as someone has pointed out this may be due to the 3% rise....but then says that I need to contribute to reach that forecast....the letter also states that "we need to make further inquiries into your NI record"....and "we may need to write to you to tell you if the amount has changed".......
    Last edited by Jack Itin; 13-04-2018 at 3:03 PM.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 2,499 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    Tom99
    O.k....I have just checked the Gov. website again, and it says in bold letters "YOU NEED TO CONTRIBUTE N.I. TO REACH YOUR FORECAST"....why does it say this if they know that I have over forty years of contributions ?....is there something that I am missing ?......am I doing right by ignoring this ?.......
    Its not the 40 yrs, you will get a credit for 2017/18 but they would like to con you into paying 741 for 2017/18 to see if they can get away with it!
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 13th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Jack Itin
    Yes, it certainly looks that way....I guess it's just a waiting game now, to see when, or if, I get that credit for 2017/18.....
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 13th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 3,145 Posts
    • 2,048 Thanks
    greenglide
    but then says that I need to contribute to reach that forecast....the letter also states that "we need to make further inquiries into your NI record"....and "we may need to write to you to tell you if the amount has changed".....
    So when the 2017/18 contributions data is available this should increase your award that currently sits at 147.81.

Unless they have done something very stupid the 147.81 figure will include the uprating from April. Using 2017/18 rates for an award that starts in 2018/19 makes absolutely no sense and the IT wouldnt have allowed them to in the past. It is, of course, possible that they may have enhanced it to give out incorrect information!
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 26th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Jack Itin
    Just checked the Gov. website, and the auto credits for 2017/2018 have now been applied, so pension is 152.50......that'll do.....Jack.
    Last edited by Jack Itin; 26-04-2018 at 9:14 AM.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 26th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    The full state pension, for 35 years of contributions is around 164 per week from April 2018. I have 36 years and my forecast tells me I will get the full amount. I have never been contracted out, so I guess that may be why other people are getting a different amount.

https://www.lovemoney.com/news/61140/how-much-state-pension-pay-rise-2018-2019
    Last edited by Shakin Steve; 26-04-2018 at 1:35 PM.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 26th Apr 18, 1:37 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    A lot of your contributions will be pre-2016, so the whole 40 years won't count under the new state pension system. Possibly when the website has updated to include your 2017/18 contributions the weekly figures will tally.

https://www.gov.uk/new-state-pension/how-its-calculated
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    All of you NI contributions count towards your state pension, it says so in your link.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 26th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    That is very spooky! I closed down MSE, went upstairs, heard the postman, came down and my award notice is here!
    • Jack Itin
    • By Jack Itin 26th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    Jack Itin
    I was contracted out for quite a few years, hence the 152.50 figure, several friends that were never contracted out will get the full NSP......I originally thought that this was unfair, but then realized that they have no private pension income.....mine is about 600 a month, so no complaints here......
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 26th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I was contracted out for quite a few years, hence the 152.50 figure, several friends that were never contracted out will get the full NSP......I originally thought that this was unfair, but then realized that they have no private pension income.....mine is about 600 a month, so no complaints here......
    Mr S will get 151 plus some shrapnel in 2 weeks time. That's on top of his 29 year RAF pension and 10 year Civil Service pension, so certainly no complaints here either!
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 26th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    You two don't need your pensions, you should give it to charity.

I'll bet you've even got bus passes you'll never use. I have
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 26th Apr 18, 7:14 PM
    • 3,132 Posts
    • 4,476 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    You two don't need your pensions, you should give it to charity.

I'll bet you've even got bus passes you'll never use. I have
    Originally posted by Shakin Steve
    Mr S could have claimed his bus pass at 63+ (pension credit age) - but hasn't. He's also been able to claim winter fuel allowance for the same reason - but if it makes you feel any better, we gave 100 each to family members who needed it more than we did.
    • Westy68
    • By Westy68 26th Apr 18, 8:21 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Westy68
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but would like some thoughts/opinions on whether it is worth combining all my existing frozen pensions into one pot or to better keep them separate
    Many thanks in advance for your help
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 26th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 26,135 Posts
    • 15,486 Thanks
    xylophone
    all my existing frozen pensions
    Deferred rather than frozen?

What kind of pensions are these?

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/categories/types-of-pensions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,124Posts Today

8,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin