Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • t45
    • By t45 12th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 102Posts
    • 6Thanks
    t45
    Freeholder requesting to see lease
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    Freeholder requesting to see lease 12th Apr 18 at 1:41 PM

Hello,
    If the freeholder has requested a copy of my lease do I have to give it to them, and all of it for them to look or if they are just requesting a specific part relating to a specific area can I not just send them this? They would like to check something and itís in relation into a potential sale of one of the other flat in the building.
    What are my rights in this matter?
    Surely they should already have details of my lease?
    Many thanks,
Page 1
    • kirtondm
    • By kirtondm 12th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    kirtondm
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    What payment are they offering?
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 12th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 913 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    tacpot12
    They should already have details of your lease, but may have lost or misplaced it and want to see if you a copy.

They have no rights to demand to see your copy of the lease, but not sending them a copy would seem to be likely to antagonise a relationship that you want to be good; who knows when you will need the freeholder to agree to something...
    • t45
    • By t45 12th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    t45
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    They have requested to see if so they can check something - I just feel a bit suspicious - we already don't have the best relationship - they have said they would like to check something in terms of what I thought was a communal space shared by all the flats - one of the other flats in the building is undergoing sale and the buyers of this have asked for something specific in terms of a communal space - i.e they want to have their own part of it!
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 12th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 6,337 Posts
    • 6,197 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:10 PM
    The freeholder could (probably) get a copy of your lease from Land Registry for a small fee - I guess they want to save a bit of time, so are asking you.

As others say, it's up to you whether you want to do the freeholder a favour.

You might also be doing your neighbour a favour, by helping to speed up the sale of their property. Again, it's up to you whether you want to do that.

(So providing a copy is unlikely to change the outcome, it might just speed up the process.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,469Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin