Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wilsonb86
    • By Wilsonb86 12th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Wilsonb86
    Credit Card Fraud help/advice
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:20 PM
    Credit Card Fraud help/advice 12th Apr 18 at 1:20 PM
    Hello everyone

I'm looking for some advice please. I recently discovered that my credit cards has been used to make fraudulent payments over the last 6 months. Just over 1k has been taken.

Once I found out I immediately contacted the credit card company (creation - Asda money credit card) and had my cards canceled. They have since told me that I can only get 3 months of fraudulent payments refunded and this is In my terms and conditions.

So I was wondering if there is any way I can get the full amount back? They know what payments are fraudulent but are only going to give me 1/3 of it back. Or am I up the creek with no paddle and an expensive lesson on credit card statement scrutiny?

Thanks!
Page 2
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 13th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    newuser86
    Absolutely. This 3 month thing is all a nonsense. Perhaps the CC aren't really treating it as fraud/disputed transaction.

I wouldn't be talking to Juiceplus (or the police*) or whoever. I would simply stick to my guns and deal with the CC. These are unauthorised transactions. Escalate as necessary. It is for the CC to prove they were authorised else they must be refunded.

It is one of the many pitfalls of DD that people end up not checking statements. But that's beside the point.

OF COURSE, the OP must be absolutely certain that he or the wife didn't inadvertantly authorised these amounts.

(* because it's been established that the proper victim is the CC, not the cardholder. Of course I would cooperate with the police if they make contact. Frankly zero chance the police would get involved.)
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    My first thought would always to contact the company who authorised a sale/took the money unless it was an extremely dodgy website. They could either provide a lot more detail about the charges or even a refund. There is no harm in contacting them to get more insight which in turn could assist your claim.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Apr 18, 3:42 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,672 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    My first thought would always to contact the company who authorised a sale/took the money unless it was an extremely dodgy website. They could either provide a lot more detail about the charges or even a refund. There is no harm in contacting them to get more insight which in turn could assist your claim.
    Originally posted by newuser86
    The less you know about them the better in my view.
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 13th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    A few things

Firstly there is no 90 day rule but disputes for say unrecognised transactions are limited to 120 so they may be going down this route by way of investigation. If this is the case and the chargebacks are successful the bank may refund the older transactions.

The transaction type doesn!!!8217;t jump out as fraud, doesn!!!8217;t mean it is or isn!!!8217;t but doesn!!!8217;t appear like an obvious one, the bank may share this opinion.

Ultimately the bank have ways of proving this was or wasn!!!8217;t genuine so they should exhaust this process and refund you in full if it turns out to be fraud.

Sounds to me like they aren!!!8217;t clearly explaining what they are trying to do for you.

I!!!8217;m fairly sure the bank must refund fraudulent credit card transactions going back 15 months, albeit they are allowed to investigate things first instead.

Hope it works out mate
    • 2e0arr
    • By 2e0arr 13th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    2e0arr
    it should be
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,178Posts Today

5,879Users online

Martin's Twitter