Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 12th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 273Posts
    • 536Thanks
    efes shareholder
    0 WOW
    rome or barcelona - January City break with 3 early 20's ofspring
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    0 WOW
    rome or barcelona - January City break with 3 early 20's ofspring 12th Apr 18 at 1:16 PM
    I have offered to take my kids for a short european city break instead of purchasing presents this christmas
    ( i gathered that they soon forget last years gifts but never the memories of holidays)
    We will be a 4 and its my treat however i do like value for money so i will scour sky scanner and trivago/ air bnb for suitable places to stay

thing is , to where ?
    Eldest has done Paris , Prague , Berlin and Athens
    Middle has done Paris and Prague
    Youngest no city break experience

The younger two have mentioned Italy however i have a feeling this can't be done on a budget

I have been to a few cities Dublin , Barcelona , Prague , Brussels , Budapest , Madrid , Lisbon and although I am not against revisiting any I would like to make sure there is plenty for all of us

I'm thinking Barcelona ticks the boxes for the offspring and also Rome - any other suggestions people ?

Any tips welcome
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 16,360 Posts
    • 12,430 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    Once yearly big sales will be on in Rome.
    Barcelona would be the more budget friendly option imho
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 13th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 1,368 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:47 AM

The younger two have mentioned Italy however i have a feeling this can't be done on a budget
    Originally posted by efes shareholder
    It depends on what your budget is - We've just done 3 nights in Venice for 360 each including hotel, flights & transfers + 150 euros each spending money.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 13th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 12:04 PM
    Something different - short 3 or 4 night cruise from Southampton ?

All meals paid upfront and entertainment laid on.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 13th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    • 4,561 Posts
    • 10,437 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    I love Roma, the history, the two thousand year old buildings, the museums, the galleries, the food, but it's anything but cheap.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 13th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 6,208 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    Surely it depends what your budget is?

We did four nights for three of us in a 4 star hotel in Rome last April for 700 all in.

Needless to say loads to do, but January could be the wrong time.
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 13th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 2,178 Thanks
    Teahfc
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    Valencia would be perfect, reasonable prices, easy to get round, lots of things happening.... flights freely available... check tripadvisor etc for more info.
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
    • PoppyTaylor
    • By PoppyTaylor 13th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    PoppyTaylor
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 5:43 PM
    Although I love everything about Italy, I would vote for Barcelona. My friends and I (all in our 20s) went for city break there a couple of years ago and had a fantastic time, lots to do and we didn't find it too expensive!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,825Posts Today

8,828Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin