Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • edy500
    • By edy500 12th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 5Thanks
    edy500
    Car insurance - change of address charge??? extortionate
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    Car insurance - change of address charge??? extortionate 12th Apr 18 at 1:06 PM
    Hello ,
    Right well I'm a bit shocked here if I'm honest...
    I've just received a receipt email from my car insurance company for 100... for changing my address.
    Firstly I wasn't aware of the charge as nothing was mentioned during the phone call I had with my insurance company telling them id moved...
    However after the phone call I admit I did receive a 'new insurance certificate' email.. which i just presumed was all ok so I didnt open the email at the time...

So from my perspective obviously not been told over the phone was a bit frustrating.. and obviously had i been told.. maybe i could have looked into things a bit more.
    So for that reason alone I dont feel particularly happy and feel a bit like they have backed me in a corner as if id known and refused the payment.. i would have to end the policy and go elsewhere...which would incure a charge id expect and it sounds this can be a very loose figure in itself..

So just for info this current car policy has only 6 months left to run.

So needless to say I have called the insurance company this morning asking why I wasnt informed on the phone there would be 100 charge for change of address...

The insurance company havent really listened to what im saying and have said there is nothing they will do for me.. and its my fault for not looking at the email.

some more info ... So basically my car at the previous address was listed as being parked on a driveway and at my new address ive now explained things further as they had it down as just 'parked in a car park' which is wrong really as my new address is an old house consisting of 6 flats with its own drive and a private car park at the rear with a few parking spaces.. and actually mine being the only car parked there at this time and also the car park and building has security camera's so in reality my car is actually more secure and safe than it was at the last address!!

I guess you can feel my frustration about this.. and sorry to vent, thank you for reading this far.

So i feel aggrieved and Im now trying to look into what or if theres anything I can do about this now..
    Ive made the choice that in the future due to what i perceive as a lack of information when it should be made clear to a customer. I simply wont be using this insurance company again.

So my thoughts so far is to try and end the the policy and take a new one out somewhere else... i guess they will charge again though... and obviously id have to pay a new policy cost
    But Im also just wondering if there would be a 14 day cooling off period for this payment?

In reality im sort of thinking there is nothing I can do apart from vouch to not use this insurance company again.. and it seems now clear we are doomed and have no control of charges during our policy life!
    I have over 10 years no claims, and have used this company many times over the years as well.

So Im sort of hoping that there maybe others in a similar situation that could advice as its seems totally extortionate to me.. and having not been told over the phone there would be this charge seems very unprofessional to me.. there answer to that is well it said about the charge in the initial email.. which is headed 'new certificate'...and we sent a letter... which i havent received!

Ok I know some will think.. well i should have asked or i should have opened that initial email.. but as I wasnt told there would be a charge I didnt expect one and didnt feel it a priority to open the email at the time..
    And hey even if I did would I be any better situation?

Thank you for reading and again sorry to sound venting, I will be interested to read more and hear a bit more about this if anyone has similar issues.

Many Thanks
Page 2
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 13th Apr 18, 12:16 PM
    • 11,458 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I really don't see the point of this thread. You change address, your perceived risk changes and your premium changes plus a reasonable fee was charged, neither of which could be described as extortionate. What did you think would happen.
    • edy500
    • By edy500 13th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    edy500
    Well had I listened to what some are saying I would be over 50 worse off.. so with the little bit of info I got from a couple of replies plus a little thinking time and finding out a bit more plus voicing my dissatisfaction about not being informed.. there was a conclusion to something that was relevant to me and I have personally noted to be a bit more aware of insurance fees for such things and also to be more aware that for some reason sometimes service providers don't tell you things and just assume you know or you will just go along with whatever as thats just the way it is.

But just to say ...if anything... surely it must be pointless to reply to a post saying that post is pointless?
    If its not something that resonates with you then I really don't see the point in replying.

Any post is relevant to whomever has posted
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,993Posts Today

8,606Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin