Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 3,134Posts
    • 1,635Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Appointments in work time - clarity for GP appointments nowadays
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    Appointments in work time - clarity for GP appointments nowadays 12th Apr 18 at 1:03 PM
    Hi

Sorry if wrong board, please move if necessary.

Just had an interesting chat with my boss - after I requested half day leave or suggested I take a late lunch on day in question - both I think are being rejected, anyway it was said if I am going to a doctors appointment (words put in my mouth here unfortunately, been a fool I just went along with what was being asked when on the spot) it was said then I could be entitled to up to 3 hours off - but - I need my GP to confirm this in writing - do GPís do this?

I have nothing against understanding why I would be asked to show proof and I know I havenít been to see my GP for over 2 years but does every surgery now send a text message confirming appointments ? Iíve never heard of it, as my work place is trying to indicate this happens as standard nowadays? So in a way Iím glad it had come up.

I always thought you booked to see your GP by phone and that was it?

Thanks for any insight.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 8,730 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:06 PM
    Mine don't but as the texts aren't free (I used to work in a garage that used this reminder facility) I can understand why not all do.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Ms Chocaholic
    • By Ms Chocaholic 12th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 9,259 Posts
    • 56,892 Thanks
    Ms Chocaholic
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    Could your GP give you an appointment card, I know it's very OS but would that suffice.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till The End

You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 12th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 12,507 Posts
    • 218,968 Thanks
    greenbee
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:09 PM
    Mine has an online booking service, and also has a text reminder service. Quite a lot of surgeries have signed up for this, as they find that text reminders reduce the number of missed appointments.

Why not call your surgery and ask them whether they can do this if you give them your mobile number?
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 12th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    ceh209
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    Mine text the day before your apopintment as a reminder. If I was only able to get time off approved a day before I needed it, then I wouldn't ever get it, because we need to plan around people being away.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    Thanks everyone.

Just did call my surgery OMG they do a text service! I never knew that.

I was on the patients most wanted list anyway..., I hope the doc is as friendly as the receptionist!
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 19,931 Posts
    • 15,638 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    It's good that yours does it, I think it's quite a useful service. My NHS dentist does it for all appointments but my medical centre only does it for appointments with non-doctor staff, so I get one when I have to see a nurse/phlebotomist for a blood test but not when I've booked a GP appointment.
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    Yes hey, perhaps we'll see the day the likes of blood test results given by text, if I'd really known my last was abnormal when I thought I heard fine I'd never have risked it.

So glad again the whole doctors appointment thing came up, supposing it'd been used as an excuse to be late to work and they asked to see the text. Oh that could have been embarrassing!

Still in bit of a pickle as to what to do as they are still content to ignore everything I've asked in regards to the seperate time off so I think I'll just try go into work early so I'll least have worked extra time and if I am disciplined as a result of late back from lunch well so be it.
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 12th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 8,141 Posts
    • 12,732 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    I've made an appointment to see my GP next week. Haven't seen a GP for about 5 years. I was surprised to receive a text confirming my appointment.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 12th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 17,141 Posts
    • 30,124 Thanks
    Ames
    I get texts about appointments, at least one reminder (I can't remember if it's the hospital or GP that sends two reminders) and a text asking to make an appointment if a blood test is abnormal.

They also text if they need to cancel an appointment.

I find it really helpful.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Apr 18, 9:53 PM
    • 16,191 Posts
    • 40,912 Thanks
    elsien
    Or you could just request an evening GP appointment so you don't need time off work?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Apr 18, 1:12 AM
    • 38,390 Posts
    • 34,992 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    If you're able to book online you could grab a screen shot of the booked appointment.

Dentist texts me the day before. Audiology texts a week before and the day before. Both very useful!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern on order...
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 13th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 1,635 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Or you could just request an evening GP appointment so you don't need time off work?
    Originally posted by elsien
    My Surgery doesnít do evening appointments and Saturdays which are even at another surgery are taken up months in advance. In fact the earliest I can be seen by a GP is the first appointment of the day and thatís with a required blood test - the appointment being at a time I should be travelling into work as I also have the commute to factor in.

Anyway Iíve just flushed the 20k permanent job down the toilet so weíre all happy.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Apr 18, 10:00 AM
    • 8,288 Posts
    • 6,109 Thanks
    pmduk
    Originally posted by elsien
    Despite Govt pronouncements to the contrary, they're very rare and far between in this area.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 13th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    Xbigman
    It would be interesting if my employers adopted this policy. I joined my current surgery 2 years ago because they don't do appointments, instead the doors are open for 2 hours at set times and you just go in and wait. The Doctor stays until everyone is seen. Perfect.

I left my previous surgery because they adopted a system of call backs. I would cycle up to the surgery and ask for an appointment and then return for said appointment. Suddenly the receptionists don't book appointments but they will get the Doctor to call me back within 2 hours, so I sat in the waiting room. Sure enough I get a call back and, as expected, the Doctor needs to see me and will book an appointment. Once I point out I am sitting 10 feet away I went straight in. I did that twice but on the third try the practice manager came over and asked me to leave the waiting room because I didn't have an appointment and I wasn't covered by their insurance. So I sat outside and waited for a callback. Once again the Doctor needs to see me but isn't allowed to see me that day because their policy has changed. The Doctor even admitted she didn't agree with it and for people willing to wait it must be frustrating. I changed surgeries.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • venison
    • By venison 13th Apr 18, 5:03 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    venison
    Most will send a txt if they have an upto date number, also many now open early and close late on one or more days in the week.
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • kleapatra
    • By kleapatra 13th Apr 18, 11:53 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 190 Thanks
    kleapatra
    I get a text a week before and the day before every appointment at my surgery. The hospital do it too. I also have a surgery that don't do evenings or weekends but when I have a blood test, the results are waiting for me online first thing the next day (one of the results even showed up the same day this week). And each test says whether it's normal or otherwise and what the normal range is - I even get graphs.

And people say the NHS are rubbish!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,659Posts Today

8,576Users online

Martin's Twitter