Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LindA.
    • By LindA. 12th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LindA.
    Confused - JSA contributions based entitlement.
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:52 PM
    Confused - JSA contributions based entitlement. 12th Apr 18 at 12:52 PM
    Hi, I have been working as a supply teacher for a few years, I do not work in the holidays and more than likely I will sign on.
    I have claimed for this Easter break, but just had a call from JSA saying I may have no entitlement due to me working as a supply teacher for two year and that is the rule.
    Please help, does anyone know the legislation. i do not choose to work as a temporary agency worker, it is that I cant find a permanent job. I have been fortunate enough to be keep getting asked back to the schools I have been working in, but that is just good fortune really. This money does help especially as I am now on my own. Does any one know about this rule please?
Page 1
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 12th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 11,760 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    Yup, had this the same. They say you made a choice to work seasonally so therefore you are not deemed to be actively seeking work in the Easter holidays or summer (and when I did supply, I didnt seek work at Easter or Christmas...)

It would be the same once UC is fully rolled out as well.

I could be wrong but I believe technically if you work FT as a supply teacher the money you receive should come out to about the same as someone working FT as a teacher anyway.I know if I worked every teaching day I would have got the same amount as a main scale teacher if you added up my day rates.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 12th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 9,037 Posts
    • 5,386 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    It certainly was in force when I did supply teaching.

If you work every day of a school year, you will have the same salary as you would if 'paid for holidays', as daily pay is determined by annual salary divided by the number of school days per year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,098Posts Today

5,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin