Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 12:38 PM
    • 312Posts
    • 96Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Laptop slow since updates
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:38 PM
    Laptop slow since updates 12th Apr 18 at 12:38 PM
    My laptop is a 4 year old, windows 8.1. Yesterday, I did updates to Malware Bytes and did a quick scan (nothing to report) then went to 'update and shut down' the laptop. I went to use the laptop, few hours later, and found it is super slow. Everything is slow e.g. the computer loading up, opening files, using the internet. From the time of me switching it on to me typing this message, it's taken about 20 minutes. The only things that are not slow is the cursor across the screen and registering the keyboard taps.
    Why has my laptop gone slow and what can I do to fix it? Thanks!
Page 1
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:49 PM
    p.s. for the first time, I got a message saying Stop running this script? A script on this page is causing your web browser to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Then there's a yes and a no box.
    Could this have something to do with it? I have only been on this forum. And clicking yes doesn't change anything.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    The problem can be caused by temporary and other junk files. Our Acer laptop was very sluggish the other day, the cure was to de-clutter using the free program Bleachbit (https://www.bleachbit.org/)

It is worth a try
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    What does task manager say is going on ?

(Cpu usage & Memory usage)
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    What does task manager say is going on ?

(Cpu usage & Memory usage)
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    CPU usage varies from 7-25% but seems to stay around 9-13% and Memory usage is 26%. Background processes varies from 62-65.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    Could be windows updates. Is the hard drive light on a lot?
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    Could be windows updates. Is the hard drive light on a lot?
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    The hard drive light blinks anything from 1-7 second intervals.
    If it is windows updates, will it work itself out, in time? Or is there something I can do?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 12th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    CPU usage varies from 7-25%
    Originally posted by pennypincher2013
    But which processes are using the CPU (order column to get highest at top).

Does 8.1 still get updates? Goto Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Updates. Click Check for Updates if its not already doing it.
    Last edited by grumpycrab; 12-04-2018 at 3:18 PM.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:36 PM
    But which processes are using the CPU (order column to get highest at top).

Does 8.1 still get updates? Goto Control Panel -> System and Security -> Windows Updates. Click Check for Updates if its not already doing it.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    It varies but currently Task Manager is the highest. Followed by Google Chrome, System, Aviva System Speedup Maintenance, Desktop Window Manager, Service Host Local System and a few other things. They don't stay in this order.

I will get back to you on the updates. Laptop is having trouble getting control panel open.

Got there! It says you are set to automatically install updates (8 optional updates available). Most recent check for updates: Today at 12:18. Updates were installed: Yesterday at 14:54. You receive updates: For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update
    Last edited by pennypincher2013; 12-04-2018 at 3:41 PM.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 12th Apr 18, 3:39 PM
    • 3,809 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    It varies but currently Task Manager is the highest. Followed by Google Chrome, System, Aviva System Speedup Maintenance, Desktop Window Manager, Service Host Local System and a few other things. They don't stay in this order.

I will get back to you on the updates. Laptop is having trouble getting control panel open.
    The highlighted item stands out like a sore thumb. Whatever its doing is probably slowing your computer down. Whether you wait for it to finish or uninstall it (the latter will be the suggested option by many here) is up to you.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Never heard of Aviva System Speedup, did you mean Avira? Even so, it is an odd one... given that it features in the background programs currently running, I would shut it down (ctrl-alt-delete, task manager), then consider deleting it.

As per my earlier post, it maybe your computer is full of junk files.
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 6:07 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    The highlighted item stands out like a sore thumb. Whatever its doing is probably slowing your computer down. Whether you wait for it to finish or uninstall it (the latter will be the suggested option by many here) is up to you.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    I have uninstalled it and even though my laptop is still slow, it is no longer super slow. I will have a clean up and see if that helps.
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 6:09 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Never heard of Aviva System Speedup, did you mean Avira? Even so, it is an odd one... given that it features in the background programs currently running, I would shut it down (ctrl-alt-delete, task manager), then consider deleting it.

As per my earlier post, it maybe your computer is full of junk files.
    Originally posted by Frozen_up_north
    Sorry, I meant Avira. Aviva is a completely different thing lol! I will have a clean up. Did your computer go faster after using Bleachbit?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Apr 18, 6:32 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 850 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Sorry, I meant Avira. Aviva is a completely different thing lol! I will have a clean up. Did your computer go faster after using Bleachbit?
    Yes, significantly. It was a 4GB RAM Acer laptop with Windows 10 Home, 64 bit. The old recommended program to clear junk and unwanted temporary files was CCleaner, unfortunately firstly it became infected with a virus from the authors and more recently wants to install Avast A/V as well!

The IT paper The Register, suggested Bleachbit as an alternative to CC when they reported the virus problems with it

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/18/tainted_ccleaner_downloads/
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 12th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    I spoke too soon. Laptop is still super slow. Where something may have taken 20 minutes, it's now 15 minutes
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 12th Apr 18, 11:48 PM
    • 4,060 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    AndyPix
    First thing I would do here is run ADW cleaner to scan scheduled tasks etc .. Make sure there isn't one that's trying to update something in the background (Its free)

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Let us know how you get on
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 12th Apr 18, 11:59 PM
    • 8,769 Posts
    • 6,615 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    First thing I would do here is run ADW cleaner to scan scheduled tasks etc .. Make sure there isn't one that's trying to update something in the background (Its free)

https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner/

Let us know how you get on
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Or get it here https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/ , they are the new owners/providers
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 13th Apr 18, 5:34 AM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    Tarambor
    The hard drive light blinks anything from 1-7 second intervals.
    If it is windows updates, will it work itself out, in time? Or is there something I can do?
    Sounds like it is Windows Update, it'll sort itself out eventually but may take some time.

Press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC, fire up Taskmanager. Click on Services, look for wuauserv (which is the Windows Update Service) and see if that is running and what CPU and RAM its using. Stop the task and see if the speed returns. If it does that confirms it was a Windows Update.
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 13th Apr 18, 4:32 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Sounds like it is Windows Update, it'll sort itself out eventually but may take some time.

Press CTRL-SHIFT-ESC, fire up Taskmanager. Click on Services, look for wuauserv (which is the Windows Update Service) and see if that is running and what CPU and RAM its using. Stop the task and see if the speed returns. If it does that confirms it was a Windows Update.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I checked Taskmanager and couldn't find wuauserv. A few times the disk spiked up to 99% but quickly went back down. I checked everything to see what was making it spike and found Malware Bytes was orange so I ended that task. I think it's worked. I will def have a clean up of my laptop too. Anything that can help.
    • flossy_splodge
    • By flossy_splodge 14th Apr 18, 5:35 AM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 1,404 Thanks
    flossy_splodge
    further info please
    Having read this thread and been horrified to hear about CCleaner, I have now downloaded Bleachbit.
    Could someone please give me some details on how to use it? It looks very different to CCleaner which I've used for years!
    A screen shot or two to clarify would be much appreciated as to which boxes I should tick.
    Many thanks

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.
    ― John Wooden
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

507Posts Today

4,693Users online

Martin's Twitter