Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 26Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    Electric turned off inside flat but meter still running
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    Electric turned off inside flat but meter still running 12th Apr 18 at 12:32 PM
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I moved into a 1 bed new build flat (rented) a month ago. I!!!8217;ve just received my first bill from Eon and it said I!!!8217;ve used 383 kWh in the space of a month! I knew this was impossible so I made sure all plugs were turned off, then I turned off the electric by the main fuse box. Took a meter reading. In the morning the meter had jumped up by about 6 kWh even though I had no electricity coming into my flat.
    How do I know whether it!!!8217;s Eon responsibility to check this out or my landlords? Eon say if they come out and the fault isn!!!8217;t with the meter itself, but the wiring to it they won!!!8217;t refund the £64 charge for testing. My housing association is saying if they come out and the fault lies with the meter and Eon, not themselves, then they!!!8217;ll charge me £100. I!!!8217;m on a very low income right now and the added stress of this is making me ill. Every day my bill is being added to through no fault of my own and I need to get it sorted but don!!!8217;t know who to get to come out and look.
    Could anyone please advise me as I!!!8217;m desperate. Thank you
    P.s communal hallway lights in the flats are still coming on so they aren!!!8217;t hooked up to my meter...but something not inside my flat is running up the meter
    Last edited by MaggieSimpson; 12-04-2018 at 3:56 PM.
Page 2
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 6:31 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    Will do. A previous poster said there were representatives from E-on that use the forum? If any are around it would be useful to hear their take on the situation too
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 12th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 63,298 Thanks
    D_M_E
    You don't need to get Eon out - turn everything off and read your in home device, take a reading from that of Kwh.

Now, just fill your kettle up and turn it on, make sure only the kettle and IHD are plugged in and turned on - if you have electric heating and/or an immersion in a hot water tank make sure both of these are turned off.

Now get a new reading from your IHD - it may have increased by 1, possibly 2, units when the kettle has finished boiling.

As well as the KwH reading, also look at the daily consumption graph on the IHD - this will show a small increase after the kettle test even if the KwH reading does not show much of an increase.

If no movement, fill the kettle again and turn it on again and get another reading.

Did the KwH reading increase after boiling the kettle?

If so then you have the correct meter - if not then the meter is not yours and you have saved the £64 or £100 depending on where you go to resolve the problem.

One of the settings on the IHD will display the meter serial number - is it the same one as that on the actual meter which you think is yours?
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    The thing is though D_M_E the meter is increasing quite rapidly, even when last night I turned my electricity supply off overnight. If it!!!8217;s not my meter, great, but if it is something else, it still needs to be rectified as I don!!!8217;t want to pay for electricity which I am not using. As stated earlier, my smart meter device doesn!!!8217;t seem to be working correctly but will have another look at it and try boiling a full kettle again. There is definitely something amiss either way. Thanks for your advice
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 12th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    PaschalFun
    I am not sure why there are random numbers and exclamation marks in my original post, so apologies for that. I!!!8217;ll go and check my meter again later and the cables that are coming out of it. My smart meter portable display thing is not working either, so can!!!8217;t check my consumption. That!!!8217;s a moot point at the moment as when my fuse box is fully switched off, something somewhere is causing my meter to run still. Someone is going to ring me back tomorrow from E-On o can discuss things further there but how the hell do I know whether it!!!8217;s the actual meter causing the problem or some thing which was connected wrongly by the contractors for the build?
    As an aside when I initially talked to someone from E-On, they said to turn off the isolated switch by the meter and check to see if communal lights etc lost power. There are only 2 switches next to my meter, but when I did that I was still receiving electricity to the flat (this was before my fuse box test). My meter is situated in a cupboard with 2 other meters which supply the 2 other flats on my floor. We all moved in around the same time, their readings are around the 325 kWh mark....mine is 817 kWh now : ( there is no change in the rate it!!!8217;s going up even with the boiler, cooker etc switched off. In face the only appliance I use a lot of is the new fridge freezer and my tv...and both of those shouldn!!!8217;t be drawing appx 18-20 kWh per day.
    Sorry for the long reply, it may seem like a minor stress for some, but I!!!8217;m on the verge of a breakdown as every day my bill is increasing. Thank you for the replies and advice xx
    Originally posted by MaggieSimpson
    I agree with others.
    If you have switched off the 2 switches and you are still receiving electricity to your flat, then you are probably looking at somone elses meter

Contact your 2 neighbours, and agree a convenient time to establish who has which meter.

Simple to do. Simply turn all 3 metered supplies off, and ensure none of the 3 flats have electricity. Then turn them on one at a time, and see which property gets electricity.

It is important you do this, as not only will it affect your billing, but more importantly you need to know which switch(es) to use to isolate your electricity in an emergency.

Then you should each call your supplier and advise them accordingly.

You appear to have the wrong in-house display unit too.
    Well the one you have relates to the meter you thought was yours, but it seems is not actually yours.

Last edited by PaschalFun; 12-04-2018 at 7:20 PM.
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 12th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    matelodave
    You dont need to talk to Eon or your housing association to work out which meter is yours. Just do as suggested above and save all the grief that you are putting yourself through.

Stop using the IHD, it's just confusing you.

You need to find out which meter stops & starts when you do something in your flat. Just trying to watch it when it's the wrong one and the flat it's connected to is cooking their dinner or watching the telly wont help you identify yours.

If you continue to keep looking at the IHD and the meter that you think is yours, you'll never work it out
    Last edited by matelodave; 12-04-2018 at 7:36 PM.
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    UPDATE. I am officially an imbecile. Decided to turn everything off by the fuse box again and look at all 3 meters. Noticed the one labelled for flat 4 had a red glow around it. Came back and switched the electricity back on, went back to the no 4 meter. Red glow had disappeared. Just to be sure I tried the 2 switches by no 4 meter. Electricity was cut off to my flat. The wrong bloody meter had been assigned to me. Whether it was E-on or the housing association that had labelled it incorrectly I do not know. I will still update after it has been sorted, but thank you all for your advice and being patient with me having a total freak out. You saved me £64 and more importantly my sanity . I was so busy worrying I did not see what was literally in front of me. Anxiety will do that to a person unfortunately.
    Last edited by MaggieSimpson; 12-04-2018 at 8:44 PM.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 12th Apr 18, 8:43 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 506 Thanks
    mac.d
    Also check the meter serial number against what it says on the bill - if you don't yet have a bill call your supplier and ask them what meter serial number you are being billed against.
    Originally posted by D_M_E
    The wrong bloody meter had been assigned to me. Whether it was E-on or the housing association that had labelled it incorrectly I do not know.
    If you haven't already done so, do as D_M_E suggested above. Check if the meter number listed on your electric bill matches up to the no.4 meter you think is yours, or if it matches the incorrectly labelled meter.

I'd also photograph the no.4 meter, and the incorrectly labelled meter for your flat, note the details down and send it all to E-On (and it was probably the builders that labelled them incorrectly in the first place).
    Last edited by mac.d; 12-04-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 12th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    House Martin
    Thank you so much Smodlet. Matelodave, where you able to look at the link I posted? The portable unit is definitely communicating with the meter in question. I supplied the meter serial number when I moved in as I was told by the housing association that was mine. Ive had the first bill through which when I realised how much he meter was increasing by., and started to look into things. Now its looking like a crossed meter or not mine at all. I am so thankful for all your help, its very useful. I think I just have to bite the bullet and pay E-on to come out, and if I can spread the cost of this until I;m (hopefully) refunded.
    Virtually every new building estate I see when I`m reading the meters, has this problem somewhere.
    Crossed meters. Its caused by the houses and flats being built with plot numbers then once they start selling them they are assigned a number.
    You do not need Eon to sort this if its a crossed meter.
    Put a high using appliance on such as a steam iron and look at other meters to see which one has the little red light pulsing on and off very quickly. Switch the appliance off and see if the light slows.
    If it does , note the serial number, make, model, year of the manufacture of the meter , date it was installed and its start reading, then get in touch with Eon.Eon will still eventually send out a meter reader to get these details as well
    They need all these details to get your meter assigned to the correct flat.Some other flat dweller will also be having problems as well '.
    Label your meter with your flat number so any future meter readers get the correct meter
    Last edited by House Martin; 12-04-2018 at 8:50 PM.
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 8:50 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    I think I answered this upthread, but the meter serial number on the bill is the one for meter 3, as itís a new build and E-on asked for the serial number when I registered for their services. When I signed for the flat I was told meter 3 was mine and had a 3 written on it, which is my door number (as well as 16, which is the plot number of my flat). After I speak to Eon Iíll get in touch with my housing association to let them know and so they can change the numbering. Iíll also talk to the people who live at no 4 to let them know the meter they were told was theirs is in fact mine, and show them how to check what one really is their meter
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    House martin how do I find the start read on the meter? It will not be a true reading as the builders would have been using electricity before I moved in, but maybe the housing association will have their final meter read from the date when (no 4) took over the responsibility for the account. I took all of the other details when I ascertained meter 4 was mine. I am breathing a sigh of relief for myself but now someone else might have issues
    Last edited by MaggieSimpson; 12-04-2018 at 9:01 PM.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 5,911 Thanks
    Smodlet
    MaggieSimpson, I think you have just illustrated exactly what this forum is for. We all live, we all learn. No-one is stupid for not knowing what was told to them was incorrect unless they do not question it. You are the person who has taken initiative to resolve this situation, not your neighbours, not Eon.

Please stop stressing and try to enjoy your new home. Helena and Malc should have been here by now, imho, but there is probably a reason why they have not been. I have tried to find an email address for them but to no avail.

Sleep well and know that help will still be here tomorrow, should you need it.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 12th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,290 Posts
    • 1,071 Thanks
    House Martin
    House martin how do I find the start read on the meter? It will not be a true reading as the builders would have been using electricity before I moved in, but maybe the housing association will have their final meter read from the date when (no 4) took over the responsibility for the account. I took all of the other details when I ascertained meter 4 was mine. I am breathing a sigh of relief for myself but now someone else might have issues
    There should be a card stuffed behind the meter attached to the wooden backboards. It has details like date it was installed , serial number and its start reading.electric meters do not all start at 00000. Could be a much higher start reading usually with a large number of new builds tho they use batches of brand new meters with similar serial numbers.Reading could be , say 00080 , or something similar or even much higher if the builders are using heaters and brewing cuppas.
    If the card is not behind the meter look on the floor. Sometimes they end up lying around nearby
    Last edited by House Martin; 12-04-2018 at 9:38 PM.
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    MaggieSimpson, I think you have just illustrated exactly what this forum is for. We all live, we all learn. No-one is stupid for not knowing what was told to them was incorrect unless they do not question it. You are the person who has taken initiative to resolve this situation, not your neighbours, not Eon.

Please stop stressing and try to enjoy your new home. Helena and Malc should have been here by now, imho, but there is probably a reason why they have not been. I have tried to find an email address for them but to no avail.

Sleep well and know that help will still be here tomorrow, should you need it.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Thank you so much for your kind words, Im actually shedding a tear or two. To many it would have been a minor inconvenience, but to me it was a huge deal, and the last straw in a year full of terrible luck/stress. For strangers to take a few minutes out of their day to help me not only saved me money, but helped to remind me that society is inherently full of good people. I will sign off for the night before I end up reciting Whitney Houston lyrics from Greatest Love Of All but I can now relax (after I tell my neighbour the bad news about what they thought was their meter/help them find theirs. I will still keep one eye on my other utilities in case there is any !!!! up there too lol) xx
    • MaggieSimpson
    • By MaggieSimpson 12th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    MaggieSimpson
    There should be a card stuffed behind the meter attached to the wooden backboards. It has details like date it was installed , serial number and its start reading.electric meters do not all start at 00000. Could be a much higher start reading usually with a large number of new builds tho they use batches of brand new meters with similar serial numbers.Reading could be , say 00080 , or something similar or even much higher if the builders are using heaters and brewing cuppas.
    If the card is not behind the meter look on the floor. Sometimes they end up lying around nearby
    Originally posted by House Martin
    I have now learned how to quote posts #progress Yes there are cards next to the meters, will check the start reading in the morning as I think I have spent most of the last few days going to and fro to that meter cupboard so now I am sick of the sight of it ha ha. Thanks for your help
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Apr 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2,912 Posts
    • 5,911 Thanks
    Smodlet
    Thank you so much for your kind words, Im actually shedding a tear or two. To many it would have been a minor inconvenience, but to me it was a huge deal, and the last straw in a year full of terrible luck/stress. For strangers to take a few minutes out of their day to help me not only saved me money, but helped to remind me that society is inherently full of good people. I will sign off for the night before I end up reciting Whitney Houston lyrics from Greatest Love Of All but I can now relax (after I tell my neighbour the bad news about what they thought was their meter/help them find theirs. I will still keep one eye on my other utilities in case there is any !!!! up there too lol) xx
    Oh, come on! You are a brave, capable lady... And you do realise we actually have nothing better to do, right? Then, we could be playing stupid games killing virtual people but instead we come on here and occasionally do a bit of good (in my case, in between taking the pee) Yay! All right, it's out there now.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 13th Apr 18, 8:45 AM
    • 6,853 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    House martin how do I find the start read on the meter?
    Your neighbours bill is a record of your usage. Daily usage from this should give a close estimate if you cannot provide a start reading.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Willow92
    • By Willow92 13th Apr 18, 2:21 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 13,093 Thanks
    Willow92
    I'm glad you got it sorted! I come across this fairly regularly, I work for an energy company
    Savings £5,848 £/7,000
  • E.ON Company Representative: Malc
    E.ON Crossed Meter
    Hi I was wondering if anyone can help, I moved into a 1 bed new build flat (rented) a month ago. I!!!8217;ve just received my first bill from Eon and it said I!!!8217;ve used 383 kWh in the space of a month! I knew this was impossible so I made sure all plugs were turned off, then I turned off the electric by the main fuse box. Took a meter reading. In the morning the meter had jumped up by about 6 kWh even though I had no electricity coming into my flat.
    How do I know whether it!!!8217;s Eon responsibility to check this out or my landlords? Eon say if they come out and the fault isn!!!8217;t with the meter itself, but the wiring to it they won!!!8217;t refund the £64 charge for testing. My housing association is saying if they come out and the fault lies with the meter and Eon, not themselves, then they!!!8217;ll charge me £100. I!!!8217;m on a very low income right now and the added stress of this is making me ill. Every day my bill is being added to through no fault of my own and I need to get it sorted but don!!!8217;t know who to get to come out and look.
    Could anyone please advise me as I!!!8217;m desperate. Thank you
    P.s communal hallway lights in the flats are still coming on so they aren!!!8217;t hooked up to my meter...but something not inside my flat is running up the meter
    UPDATE. I am officially an imbecile. Decided to turn everything off by the fuse box again and look at all 3 meters. Noticed the one labelled for flat 4 had a red glow around it. Came back and switched the electricity back on, went back to the no 4 meter. Red glow had disappeared. Just to be sure I tried the 2 switches by no 4 meter. Electricity was cut off to my flat. The wrong bloody meter had been assigned to me. Whether it was E-on or the housing association that had labelled it incorrectly I do not know. I will still update after it has been sorted, but thank you all for your advice and being patient with me having a total freak out. You saved me £64 and more importantly my sanity . I was so busy worrying I did not see what was literally in front of me. Anxiety will do that to a person unfortunately.
    I think I answered this upthread, but the meter serial number on the bill is the one for meter 3, as itís a new build and E-on asked for the serial number when I registered for their services. When I signed for the flat I was told meter 3 was mine and had a 3 written on it, which is my door number (as well as 16, which is the plot number of my flat). After I speak to Eon Iíll get in touch with my housing association to let them know and so they can change the numbering. Iíll also talk to the people who live at no 4 to let them know the meter they were told was theirs is in fact mine, and show them how to check what one really is their meter
    Hello MaggieSimpson and sorry I'm late coming in here. On my own this week and playing catch up and, must admit, I've only just noticed your thread. I don't think you needed me though as you've already received excellent advice. Thanks all.

As you've identified, this looks like a crossed meter. This is where we've been billing to a different meter to the one recording usage at your property. They tend to happen mainly on new builds. They can take a time to sort out as there can sometimes be quite a few properties involved. Don't worry, we've specialist teams who look after crossed meters. They investigate what has been mixed up, put it right and rebill the account using the right meter and readings. Sometimes a visit is necessary (no charge to you) to help move things forward.

I'd recommend talking to this team. Let them have as many details as possible including the meter serial number, opening and up to date readings plus all relevant dates. Photos would be great. They'll keep you up to speed with their investigation and when you can expect a resolution. Contact details are on our website. It's under our New Connections (Developer) team.

On new builds, meters are installed on individual plots often a long time before the occupier moves in or a postal address is created. It's usually down to the builder/developer or their agents to let us have details of the meters at individual addresses. These details aren't always given to us as they should be and so become mixed up as appears to have happened here

Once all's done and dusted, if there's a debit balance, we'll be happy to look at setting up a payment plan to help spread the amount over a more manageable period.

Let us know if you need any more help. Although I'm not here now until next Wednesday, Helena will be in Monday. I'll drop her an email to let her know about this thread. We'll be happy to help.

Have a good weekend MaggieSimpson and hope you can start enjoying your new home.

Malc
    ďOfficial Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 13th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 63,298 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Malc - from what MaggieSimpson has written, she has been paying Eon bills for the wrong meter and I would think, from what's been described, that she will have a large rebate due when it's all sorted out.

MaggieSimson - you need to photo the meter card for the correct meter - this should show the start reading - and send Eon a copy and they should eventually give you a correct bill.

Since you are the original first and only occupant the reading on the card should be your start reading.

The only problem here is that, being on your own, you probably don't use much energy but the people in the flat whose meter you were paying for are likely to use a lot more than you and could well get a big unexpected bill when it's all sorted.

EDIT - if the cards are all mixed up, then make sure you match the card to the correct meter using the serial number printed on the card.
    Had this problem myself a few years ago and it took over a year to sort out - not with Eon, though.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 14th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,042 Posts
    • 900 Thanks
    Carrot007
    All to common a problem on new builds and especially flats. Builders care little about getting meters right as there is no come back for them.

If you all have the same supplier still then it will be easier to sort out as you can raise a common issue with the supplier. Unfortunatly if the suppliers are differnet this could go on for years as you might get yours fixed but there will be a duplicate meter on a different mpan for the other customer.

If you are all reasonable people it can be worked out but the flats need to work together. Maybe they are high users as they knew about this and will be a pain getting it sorted out. Hopefully not though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

5,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin