Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • justaquestion
    • By justaquestion 12th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    • 582Posts
    • 111Thanks
    justaquestion
    Pip and poor hearing.
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:30 PM
    Pip and poor hearing. 12th Apr 18 at 12:30 PM
    Hi folks,

If someone has such bad hearing that they can't hear anything without two hearing aids and even with aids they still have difficulty hearing what are their chances to get any level of pip?

At night time this person can't hear anything at all as hearing aids have to be left out, to allow ears to rest, and in case of any emergency such as fire would not realise this.

I have looked through how the points are awarded for pip and can't see any mention of this problem.

Thanks for any information.
Page 1
    • w06
    • By w06 12th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    w06
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    PIP is about how the problem affects you rather than a diagnosis or specific impairment, it's descriptor 7 that applies:

7. Communicating verbally

a. Can express and understand verbal information unaided. 0 points

b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to speak or hear. 2 points

c. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand complex verbal information. 4 points

d. Needs communication support to be able to express or understand basic verbal information. 8 points

e. Cannot express or understand verbal information at all even with communication support. 12 points
    Last edited by w06; 12-04-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: wonky formatting
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 12th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    • 3,992 Posts
    • 3,812 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    Hi folks,

If someone has such bad hearing that they can't hear anything without two hearing aids and even with aids they still have difficulty hearing what are their chances to get any level of pip?

At night time this person can't hear anything at all as hearing aids have to be left out, to allow ears to rest, and in case of any emergency such as fire would not realise this.

I have looked through how the points are awarded for pip and can't see any mention of this problem.

Thanks for any information.
    Originally posted by justaquestion
    There are lots of PIP descriptors and points are awarded based on how a condition affects you. PIP descriptor 7 communicating verbally could score a person 2 points for using hearing aids. Unless the person has any other difficulties, then this won't be enough for a PIP award.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 16,359 Posts
    • 23,249 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:51 PM
    You can get fire alarms for the deaf.

I suspect that even being completely deaf would not get you much in the way of PIP points. But then I have no experience.

Google 'PIP for the deaf'.It seems to be a challenge.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 12th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Danday
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    I too was prescribed hearing aids for both ears by the audiology dept at the hospital.
    They are good but do in fact pick up too much background noise as well.
    When assessed by ATOS twice they wanted to see that they were present.
    Subsequently I have never been able to get more than 2 points under any descriptor other than for having them.
    • Christian73
    • By Christian73 12th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Christian73
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    I too was prescribed hearing
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 12th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 3,131 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    It was possible to get DLA being deaf but harder with PIP because the criteria are different.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 16,359 Posts
    • 23,249 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    Possibly may qualify for higher points in this section?
    Originally posted by bspm1
    Communication support "means support from a person trained or experienced in communicating with people with specific communication needs, including interpreting verbal information into a non-verbal form and vice versa"

https://pipinfo.net/activities/communicating-verbally

Simply needing a hearing aid would be an aid or appliance that gets you 2 points.

That's the issue with PIP. It's very specific.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 12th Apr 18, 5:32 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    bspm1
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:32 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:32 PM
    Communication support "means support from a person trained or experienced in communicating with people with specific communication needs, including interpreting verbal information into a non-verbal form and vice versa"

https://pipinfo.net/activities/communicating-verbally

Simply needing a hearing aid would be an aid or appliance that gets you 2 points.

That's the issue with PIP. It's very specific.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    Thank you for pointing this out. I have deleted accordingly.
    • w06
    • By w06 12th Apr 18, 10:05 PM
    • 763 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    w06
    It is possible to score higher than 2 points for hearing loss on PIP, I scored 8 on descriptor 7, but I have no hearing and rely solely on lip reading
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 12th Apr 18, 11:00 PM
    • 12,075 Posts
    • 13,917 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    It is possible to score higher than 2 points for hearing loss on PIP, I scored 8 on descriptor 7, but I have no hearing and rely solely on lip reading
    Originally posted by w06
    Yes I agree it is possible to score higher than 2 points.

This guide gives information about descriptor 7

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/665635/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-assessment-criteria.pdf

Note the reference to lip reading in the preamble to the descriptor and point scoring.

The OP does not say how her husband interprets verbal communication.
    • later
    • By later 29th Apr 18, 9:56 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    later
    I got DLA for being deaf, and without my hearing aid I'm profoundly deaf. I can hear a fair bit with. I can't hear my son crying in the night.

I can't hear announcements or tannoys - even though I can hear that there's sound, it's too muffled for me.

I score 2. Luckily, I haven't been sent the dreaded letter yet!
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 29th Apr 18, 11:39 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 1,155 Thanks
    Sncjw
    No chance. I struggle massively hearing people in crowded places due to picking up noise in my hearing aid everywhere.

I can!!!8217;t do things like people with hearing can do. I have to plan things out in advance like if I!!!8217;m travelling somewhere I haven!!!8217;t been before to make sure I know where I am going or what is going to happen.

I scored 2 points because of hearing aid which the dwp think is a magic cure
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 25th May 18, 2:44 PM
    • 3,992 Posts
    • 3,812 Thanks
    poppy12345
    My childhood friend is facing sudden hearing loss. Does he require hearing aid?
    Originally posted by Mainak Santra
    This is a benefits forum. He should see his GP for a hearing test because no one here can say whether he needs a hearing aid or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

998Posts Today

6,760Users online

Martin's Twitter