Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 12th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    • 217Posts
    • 94Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: Mortgage rates are rising - if you're considering remortgaging act NOW
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:23 AM
    MSE News: Mortgage rates are rising - if you're considering remortgaging act NOW 12th Apr 18 at 11:23 AM
    Mortgage rates are rising with the best deals disappearing, so it's vital everyone considering cutting costs by remortgaging to a new deal acts now...
    Read the full story:
    'Mortgage rates are rising - if you're considering remortgaging act NOW'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 12th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 655 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Raxiel
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    I think I know the answer to this, but, just to be sure...
    I'm in the process of remortgaging now. Current mortgage with Santander is 4.99% for three more months of a 5 year fix, going onto their 4.49% SVR after that.

After a bit of shopping around, the best remortgage deal I've found (after discounting providers who won't lend on a house with an unrepaired-prc home next door) is with Santander again, this time 5 years at 2.49% with no fees.

I've got a Conversion offer from them, and have until the 26th to accept it. Is the rate 'locked' now? Can I take the full 14 days to decide I want to go ahead? Or is there a risk it could still change?

I feel like it should be fixed from the wording in the documents, but it's not explicit. All I've had to do so far is click a couple of buttons on a web form, so it feels 'too easy'. I think it's pretty unlikely I won't accept the offer, but I don't want to rush into another 5 year commitment either.

TIA
    • FredaJones
    • By FredaJones 12th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    FredaJones
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    1.09 to 1.29 is hardly a rocket of a rise.
    • VT82
    • By VT82 13th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 786 Thanks
    VT82
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    1.09 to 1.29 is hardly a rocket of a rise.
    Originally posted by FredaJones
    In MSE World, it's an 18% increase in your mortgage rate!!!

Meanwhile, in the actual world, it's an extra £13 (2%) per month on a typical mortgage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,719Posts Today

5,975Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin