Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Syman
    • By Syman 12th Apr 18, 11:09 AM
    • 2,470Posts
    • 6,084Thanks
    Syman
    Use of other vehicles
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:09 AM
    Use of other vehicles 12th Apr 18 at 11:09 AM
    When renewing my personal car policy, the question comes up "Do you have access to any other car or van".

What constitutes access to a vehicle? My insurance company have not yet got back to me through their help pages.

I work for a local authority, we have a minibus that i may be asked to drive (voluntarily, i.e. i would not be compensated in any way) in the course of my working week.

I only have access to the vehicle, when specifically granted for an driving task, that is, i cannot just decide to jump in the bus and drive it around.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 15/48
Page 1
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 12th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 1,284 Posts
    • 1,901 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    I always think of this as another vehicle you can use if necessary - which wouldn't be a minibus at work. It's more for things like partners car, or other vehicles you may own. Only your insurer can tell you how they mean it though.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Apr 18, 12:43 PM
    • 17,188 Posts
    • 15,496 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:43 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:43 PM
    If you've got another car you can use, there's no point in the insurer giving you an expensive loan car.

If you haven't got another car you can use, then you are going to need a loan car.

Can you borrow that minibus for whatever, if your car is written off?
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 12th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    OP, if it's fully comp, it may relate to driving other vehicles through 3rd party cover of your FC policy. TBH, can't remember having ever being asked that question. Pretty sure they usually ask how many vehicles are there at my property. I have business use cover and theoretically I could use a work vehicle (local authority as well) but it's not part of my normal job, haven't driven one for 10 years, so I don't include it. Your minibus driving should be under your employers insurance anyway. If it was me, I'd presume they mean any other car or van which you would drive under the cover they are providing. If your not expected to drive the minibus for work, then I'd be happy not to include it if it was me.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 12th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 2,470 Posts
    • 6,084 Thanks
    Syman
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    Thanks for the opinions.

In my mind, i do not have access to any other vehicle for my own personal use.

Not overly fussed, but was curious. We all know that insurance companies can find all sorts of reasons to limit the payouts.

If i ever get a response from them i will post up.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 15/48
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 12th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    AFAIK it could be used by some insurers to assess the risk profile of a driver: if you're insuring a car, but have also access to a motorcycle and to another car, then you might be seen as less risky: you can only drive/ride one vehicle at a given time, after all.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 12th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    Drive other cars is for like driving cars that don't belong to you like a family member car or a friends car not another car you own. But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.

Surely if you have to drive a mini bus for work then your employer should have appropriate insurance that covers you and other employees to drive said mini bus.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 13th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:31 AM
    Drive other cars is for like driving cars that don't belong to you like a family member car or a friends car not another car you own. But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Not necessarily. There's no such condition on my Direct Line policy.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 13,756 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:51 AM
    But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.
    As said above, this varies depending on insurer. Not all policies require a car driven under "drive other cars" to be insured in its own right.

Driving a car with its own cover would be quite restricting though as it would mean that it was only insured while it was actually being driven. Parking would have to be chosen with care.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 13-04-2018 at 8:54 AM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    Car 54
    As said above, this varies depending on insurer. Not all policies require a car driven under "drive other cars" to be insured in its own right.

Driving a car with its own cover would be quite restricting though as it would mean that it was only insured while it was actually being driven. Parking would have to be chosen with care.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Its "own" cover would apply when parked.

I've had a car damaged when parked. The insurer didn't ask who had parked it.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Not necessarily. There's no such condition on my Direct Line policy.
    Originally posted by chrisw

Originally posted by Gloomendoom

Originally posted by Car 54
    Ha ha ha knew it wouldn't be long before this got piped up.

If you drive an uninsured car under your "drive other cars" status...

1. You'll be at risk of being stopped by the police and/or triggering ANPR for having no "insurance" yes it might be legit but it's still a hassle.

2. What happens if you park up and walk away, car won't be insured.

But that aside, I want to know why a local authority requires it's employees to drive minibuses on the employees own personal insurance.
    Last edited by LeeUK; 13-04-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Apr 18, 12:21 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    Car 54
    Ha ha ha knew it wouldn't be long before this got piped up.

If you drive an uninsured car under your "drive other cars" status...

1. You'll be at risk of being stopped by the police and/or triggering ANPR for having no "insurance" yes it might be legit but it's still a hassle.

True.

2. What happens if you park up and walk away, car won't be insured.

The owner's insurance covers it at all times, except when an un-named person is driving.

But that aside, I want to know why a local authority requires it's employees to drive minibuses on the employees own personal insurance.

AFAIK no-one has suggested that it does.
    See comments in red.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 12:31 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    See comments in red.
    What insurance does the owner have that covers it while parked when we are talking about a car not having insurance to start with?

Also why would someone have available a car that is taxed and MOT'd yet has no insurance sitting waiting for someone with "drive other car" extension to come along and drive it?
    Last edited by LeeUK; 13-04-2018 at 12:33 PM.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 13th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    chrisw
    Regardless, you said

But they must be insured in their own right before you can drive them under your "drive other cars" cover.
    It might cause some hassle but your statement is wrong.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Regardless, you said

It might cause some hassle but your statement is wrong.
    Originally posted by chrisw
    Why would someone have available a car that is taxed and MOT'd yet has no insurance sitting waiting for someone with "drive other car" extension to come along and drive it?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Apr 18, 12:58 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    Car 54
    What insurance does the owner have that covers it while parked when we are talking about a car not having insurance to start with?
    I didn't know we were. Anyway, according to you (post #7) the car must have insurance to start with. That is not always the case.

If no insurance is in place then the owner has no cover for damage to his vehicle, and he's committing a continuous insurance offence. But those apply regardless of whether it's parked or being driven by A N other.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    I didn't know we were. Anyway, according to you (post #7) the car must have insurance to start with. That is not always the case.

If no insurance is in place then the owner has no cover for damage to his vehicle, and he's committing a continuous insurance offence. But those apply regardless of whether it's parked or being driven by A N other.
    So you are all just talking nonsense going round in circles then. A car has to have insurance to be on the road, it's own insurance, in it's own right - however you want to word it, before someone with "drive other cars" cover can come along and drive it.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 13th Apr 18, 1:15 PM
    • 2,841 Posts
    • 1,801 Thanks
    Car 54
    So you are all just talking nonsense going round in circles then. A car has to have insurance to be on the road, it's own insurance, in it's own right - however you want to word it, before someone with "drive other cars" cover can come along and drive it.
    Not at all.

Let's say I own a car, which is not insured. If your policy allows it, you can drive it quite legally. I am the one committing an offence.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 13,756 Posts
    • 18,035 Thanks
    Gloomendoom

It wouldn't if it didn't have its own cover but had been driven to the parking spot by a driver whose insurer allowed him/her to drive other cars that are not insured under their own policy. Like one of mine does.

Which was rather the point of my post
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 13th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 1,326 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    A car has to have insurance to be on the road, it's own insurance, in it's own right - however you want to word it, before someone with "drive other cars" cover can come along and drive it.

It is the person using the vehicle on a road or other public place that is required to have insurance, not the vehicle itself - s.143, 1, (a), Road traffic Act 1988.

That person could be using their insurance third party cover, but it would depend on their own insurance terms and conditions if the vehicle needs to be covered by other insurance or not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

5,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin