Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 12th Apr 18, 10:29 AM
    • 10,786Posts
    • 9,655Thanks
    Party wall notice advice please..?
    • #1
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:29 AM
    Party wall notice advice please..? 12th Apr 18 at 10:29 AM
    Hi all

    I have received a party wall notice from the owners of adjoining property. It is rented and they want to replace soffits and guttering to front and rear.

    They have given an undertaking that any consequential damage will be made good. The 14 day period has expired.

    They have sent another letter asking me to sign the consent.

    Is it wiser not to sign the consent as surely if i did, i would just be relying on their good will rather than something more formal?

    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 12th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 1,968 Thanks
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • #2
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    I!!!8217;m struggling to understand how this work is even covered by the party wall act.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 12th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • 26,305 Posts
    • 70,860 Thanks
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    • #3
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:14 PM
    You need to sign it.

    It's barely covered under the act - I'm not sure it is, in honesty, but anything that is will be so minor it's not worth worrying about much.

    If you don't sign it, you'll be seen to be dissenting and so they have to hire a party wall surveyor to come out and draw up agreements. I think you'd be being unreasonable to make them pay for that, given that they are minor works and the surveyor would cost more than the actual work!

    Fact is, you're always relying on their good will.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 12-04-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter