MSE News: Martin Lewis issues warning over financial regulator’s PPI adverts

Martin Lewis is warning PPI claimants not to follow advice on the financial regulator's new Arnold Schwarzenegger adverts - as they could end up losing a third of their payout...
Read the full story:
'Martin Lewis issues warning over financial regulator’s PPI adverts'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The problem is that the message needs to be imparted within a few seconds of airtime. A full quote of the FCA website address would be confusing to many of the people the advert is trying to reach.

Regardless, it should be a simple matter to differentiate between an official FCA site and a Claims Company and if people sign contracts which stipulate a third of any redress will be lost they have to take responsibility for this themselves.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,306 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I recall Martin once telling us (when he was active on the forums) that he couldn't give the full information or cover all scenarios as he only had very short segments and had to keep it simple. ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • TheJC
    TheJC Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 5:25AM
    Why doesn't the FCA have a gov.uk address? The F(inancial)SA did, as does the F(ood)SA.

Looking at the rules for registering a gov.uk sub-domain, it is open for Non-Departmental Public Bodies (NDPBs), and I'm pretty sure the FCA is an NDPB even if https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/financial-conduct-authority doesn't want to say it is.

"Visit FCA dot org dot uk slash PPI" for the audio/audio-visual ads, and the full URL plus a QR code for the posters.

Or if they only care about getting the information out, a succinct "Google PPI" would do - after the ads is a featured snippet for the MSE page on PPI. A "Google PPI and ignore the ads" would have the MSE page at #1, the FCA at #2, and Which at #3.

Actually, my SEO "what search terms are already optimised" Googling suggests the best search term for audio/audio-visual advertisements targeted at Google users is "PPI deadline", because on Google that gives (after the ads*) a featured snippet of the MSE page with the actual deadline stated by Google as a fact with MSE as the source, and the first link after that being the FCA page.

Searching Twitter for "PPI deadline" also brings up the FCA's PPI verified Twitter account at the top of the search results.

* At page load, ad #1 was an FCA ad that includes the deadline date, ads #2 & #3 don't mention a deadline, and ad #4 doesn't say what the deadline is. If the FCA changes the (non-Google) ads, there'll probably be a bidding war and a better optimisation of the other ads for this search term.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Be glad when all this PPI stuff is finished, if you signed up for it its Your fault anyway.
    The ads & phone calls get on my nerves.
  • Mchambers
    Mchambers Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    It is a bl**dy awful advert.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mchambers wrote: »
    It is a bl**dy awful advert.
    I so agree.

The "Arnuld" animated head is almost as bad as the voice impression!

Still, it will get the attention required, so effective enough....
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think Martin needs to worry too much.

The only thing this advert impresses on me is that it adds to the canon that makes me wonder how many people in the advertising industry are using hallucinatory drugs, or that they think brand recognition is everything, even if it desperately relies only on making the advert memorable by being annoying as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure