Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Littlealfiesmum
    • By Littlealfiesmum 12th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Littlealfiesmum
    BLT query
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    BLT query 12th Apr 18 at 9:42 AM
    Hi have virgin money BTL 2.99% fixed for 5 years interest only 380.90 pcm

I am thinking of changing it to a repayment mortgage same rate etc they can just switch it and it would be 790.60 pcm. I am thinking getting the balance down would be good and I can also put a lump sum 10% overpayment down.

The outstanding balance is approx 150k

There would be a early repayment charge if I decided to go to a different mortgage I think its around 3k.

Other option is to sell the house and use the capital for something else...
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 16,848 Posts
    • 8,791 Thanks
    ACG
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    You could just make overpayments to the mortgage potentially?
    That way if the property is empty, you can go back to interest only without any hassle?

ps - I wont make any Sandwich jokes.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Littlealfiesmum
    • By Littlealfiesmum 12th Apr 18, 9:50 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlealfiesmum
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:50 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:50 AM
    I think I could change back if needed but I have just relet the property about 4 months ago to a company and long term let. I'm not worried about that and in 5 years will sell it.

I have 13k in my isa I could pay off and probably save more paying off than getting interest in savings?!

Dont think there is any benefit overpaying a interest only?!
    • Littlealfiesmum
    • By Littlealfiesmum 12th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Littlealfiesmum
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:53 AM
    if i go on the MSE calculator I save quite abit changing to repayment and putting the lump sum down. Just means I don't have any income off the house to use monthly
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 16,848 Posts
    • 8,791 Thanks
    ACG
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:25 AM
    By overpaying it has the same effect as putting it on repayment.

Switching back could possibly be done, but it is all the hassle that comes with it.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,344Posts Today

5,627Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin