Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Okydoky25
    • By Okydoky25 12th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 998Posts
    • 868Thanks
    Okydoky25
    What woudl you do?
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    What woudl you do? 12th Apr 18 at 8:49 AM
    Asking for a friend....

They started at a new job at the end of last year at a small family run company. They are the only office employee bar family members who are the directors.
    All was going well and probation passed. The 2 senior members have been traveling leaving her in the office with the son.
    He has on occasion got uncomfortably close to her and she has warned him off. Since then he has made it difficult for her to complete her work due to him now avoiding her.

She has many years working in a male environment and is used to banter and has said if he had just laughed it off she wouldn't think much of it but it is now causing her issues.

On the parents return and she has had a verbal warning about her work from them and rightly wants to just quit but needs to work so is looking for something else.

I believe she should report him and quit but it is her word against his.
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 9,924 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    Get a new job.

Also research covert cameras
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 4,091 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    Report him to who? If it's a small family run company, they're unlikely to have an HR department, and even if they did, if he's the family of the owners, they're hardly going to fire him are they?

If she believes it's sexual harassment, she could try the police, but I don't fancy her chances that much. Her job, plus any chance of a reference, would probably be in doubt too.

Suggest she puts all her energies into finding a new job ASAP, as sadly, I can't see many circumstances where this ends well for her.
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 12th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    Katapolt
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:43 PM
    if shes concerned for her safety, just quit. If its just a bit awkward, search high and low for anything else, and if she feels she needs any evidence (if it works) she can leave her phone recording sound while on her desk or close by.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 13th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    I would find another job, wait until the reference has been given and then tell them why I'm leaving. They will probably be shocked and have words with the son and so prevent it from happening again.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 13th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 188 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    I doubt that anyone will have words with anyone else, especially as there is zero evidence - the family will likely stick together. Probably better just to get out, not attempting to complain or taking it further, and leaving the whole experience behind.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,268Posts Today

8,012Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin