Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • primrosecottage14
    • By primrosecottage14 12th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    primrosecottage14
    "Material Change" - Mortgage App Disappointment
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:39 AM
    "Material Change" - Mortgage App Disappointment 12th Apr 18 at 7:39 AM
    Hello,

I wondered if anyone could help advise me. I had a mortgage application approved by Halifax in December and the most they could lend me was 142,500 at 1.9%. The property I was planning to purchase fell through at the weekend (this was my fault - we pulled out due to constant changes in the chain and no exchange date) and I had to act fast to find another suitable property chain free. I had an offer accepted on Tuesday for a property which is more expensive (I didn't mind stretching as it is more suitable for us) but I am having to put down another 12,500 on my deposit (45,000 in total). The seller had a higher offer than ours but we managed to persuade him to go with my offer as I am FTB and had mortgage approval etc.

I spoke to my mortgage broker and informed him of the plans and he has come back letting me know that he will need to reapply for my mortgage as the interest rate has risen slightly (understandable) but that Halifax have capped what they will lend me to 140, 625. I am so surprised at this, I have been squeaky clean since my last application - no credit card spending (balance at 0), 2 accounts both up to date (1 sofa finance with 400 remaining, the other mobile contract with 25 remaining). My credit score is showing as higher than average at 629 with a 5/5 credit rating. I really will struggle to come up with the additional 2K odd at this stage since I have already put forward 12,500 more than I was planning to (I was keeping this back for house renovations and furniture, appliances etc as first time buyer).

This is really disappointing for us as my husband had initially been rejected for a mortgage due to a late payment on his account in August whilst we were on holiday so our budget had already been halved.

Please can anyone advise what might be affecting the amount the bank will lend and the likelihood of me being able to borrow the amount needed? I earn 30K and have no other debt.

Thanks so much
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Apr 18, 8:04 AM
    • 16,848 Posts
    • 8,791 Thanks
    ACG
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:04 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:04 AM
    Your budget had been halved because of a late payment? That does not make sense. I deal with people who have defaults, CCJs, bankruptcy and in the main they can borrow more or less the same as someone with no bad credit.

It could be thatHalifax have tweaked their affordability calculation maybe, has your broker extended the term/tried other lenders?

I think there is some confusion or some information missing as some of what you are saying does not sound correct.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 12th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 10,469 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    It sounds to me like fluctuations on the credit file since December which was 4/5 months ago.

Your question should be addressed to your Broker for a clearer explanation.

You may get higher lending elsewhere, but there may be other factors as to why Halifax is the chosen route.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • primrosecottage14
    • By primrosecottage14 12th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    primrosecottage14
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    Hi both @amnblog & @ACG,

Thanks for your responses.

The reason we had to apply with Halifax being that we had been working abroad for several months from the start of 2017 (I covered APAC for my company and went out to open their Singapore office) and our broker advised Halifax being the only high street lender who would consider us. My husband had a late payment on his file in August (it had gone to a 2, this happened due to bank withdrawing his overdraft whilst we were abroad and we didn't get the letter, he was actually ahead of payments on that loan by 800 and we cleared the remaining 1000 as soon as we realised he'd missed it) but before that had credit issues from missed payments on his phone a couple of years ago, so his credit score wasn't great. Obviously the late payment on a personal loan in Aug had the biggest impact since we started our mortgage apps in Nov.

My broker has said he will look into this for me but unfortunately he's currently on holiday, hence looking for some further reassurance or advice in the meantime. I have checked my online accounts (Clearscore and Noddle) both are showing as stable scores back to December, no change, no credit usage and payments to phone and DFS all made on time. This is why I am so confused :-(

Thanks
    Last edited by primrosecottage14; 12-04-2018 at 8:45 AM. Reason: typo
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 12th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 10,469 Posts
    • 4,136 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    Clearscore and Noddle 'scores' mean nothing to Halifax, they run their own score.

Quite frankly, if I were your Broker Id be more worried about cash being so tight on this new purchase that 2K is a problem.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • primrosecottage14
    • By primrosecottage14 12th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    primrosecottage14
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    Hi @amnblog,

I take your point but I'm sure the majority of first time buyers in this country aren't equipped to throw 1000's about unexpected, especially when they've already been working to save a 25% deposit. It may not sound like much and we will have it if we really need it but as I said, starting from scratch over here and it all counts.

Appreciate your comments on Clearscore and Noddle - just trying to find some indication as to what/where the suggested fluctuations might come from.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,789Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin