Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mariajayne91
    • By Mariajayne91 12th Apr 18, 3:29 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mariajayne91
    Tax fine for self employed but not self employed
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:29 AM
    Tax fine for self employed but not self employed 12th Apr 18 at 3:29 AM
    Hi I really need help so here goes

My husband was told back in 2013 to pay 60 for being self employed. Well we was confused as my husband have never ever been self employed so we called them a few times saying they have it wrong as he has always been employed by a company and the longest he's been out of work was 1 month. So we thought we had sorted this with the tax people but now in 2018 we have found out we have been paying off a tax fine so they have been taking double tax off us. How do we go about getting all this money back that they should never have taken off us. We have all pay slips saved
    Thank you !!!128522;
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 20,960 Posts
    • 16,737 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    Who told him to pay 60? Was he asked to submit a tax return and failed to (which would be the usual reason for a fine)? Whether you can get money back or not depends on whether it was really owed in the first place, and you haven't told us anywhere near enough to know that.

I expect other people to have more questions for you, so maybe wait a while and answer them all at once.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th Apr 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,175 Posts
    • 2,961 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:51 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:51 AM
    Both me and my husband have to complete self assessment forms and neither or us is self employed. If HMRC request you complete self assessment forms, you do.
    • Mariajayne91
    • By Mariajayne91 12th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mariajayne91
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    Thank you for replying

HMRC told him to pay the 60 we didn't get any forms to fill out and send back. We called them 3 times back in 2013 and as far as we knew it was sorted and now found out we had been paying a fine for the 60 we didnt pay.

They said the 60 was from him being self employed he was in the middle of finding a job was out of work for 4 weeks unemployed but we have always been on a low income even more so back in 2013. I'm just confused
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    John-K
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    Please, you need to read the questions people are asking, and answer them, not write irrelevant points and ignore them.

We!!!8217;re you asked to submit a tax return?

If so, then you had to do so, and will be fined for not doing it.

To be clear, it does not matter at all what you think that you should have to do, if you are asked to submit a tax return then you need to do it.

If you think that they have made a mistake, you can query it, and ask them to reconsider if they have based the decision on bad information, but you cannot just decide that they were wrong to ask.
    • Mariajayne91
    • By Mariajayne91 13th Apr 18, 1:25 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mariajayne91
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:25 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 1:25 AM
    I did say that we was not given or sent any forms in the post or any tax returns to send to them all we received is a letter saying to pay 60 for self employment nothing else was sent. I have no idea where they have got there bad information from. Which is why we was confused and asked for help!
    • whitewitch21
    • By whitewitch21 13th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    whitewitch21
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    Hi I really need help so here goes

My husband was told back in 2013 to pay 60 for being self employed. Well we was confused as my husband have never ever been self employed so we called them a few times saying they have it wrong as he has always been employed by a company and the longest he's been out of work was 1 month. So we thought we had sorted this with the tax people but now in 2018 we have found out we have been paying off a tax fine so they have been taking double tax off us. How do we go about getting all this money back that they should never have taken off us. We have all pay slips saved
    Thank you !!!128522;
    Originally posted by Mariajayne91
    Who told him to pay the 60? Did you get a letter from HMRC asking for a payment - if so what was the reason it gave for your husband owing them money? Was he in employment and underpaid PAYE? Was it for a late tax return? Were you sent a self assessment statement?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,298Posts Today

7,767Users online

Martin's Twitter