Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 12th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    • 1,785Posts
    • 9,327Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Does anyone wear a bed jacket?
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:44 AM
    Does anyone wear a bed jacket? 12th Apr 18 at 12:44 AM
    I'm always cold when I get into bed but if I turn up the heating I bake in the middle of the night. I've some old patterns for knitted bed jackets, does anyone still use one? Are they any good?
Page 2
    • caronc
    • By caronc 12th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 23,630 Thanks
    caronc
    I've a very old Primark fleece v-neck that I use on cold nights if reading . I hate a warm bedroom but equally hate shivering if I'm not completely under the duvet. I take it off when I'm ready to sleep (unless it is really cold). I love my heat pads as well on cold nights, one on my feet and one at my back heat the bed nicely but don't stay too warm for too long so I don't over heat.
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £68/£120, Mar £104/£150, Apr £164/£200
    GC YTD - £391/£590
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Apr 18, 8:56 PM
    • 16,178 Posts
    • 40,889 Thanks
    elsien
    I'm always cold when I get into bed but if I turn up the heating I bake in the middle of the night. I've some old patterns for knitted bed jackets, does anyone still use one? Are they any good?
    Originally posted by dandy-candy
    Not sure if I'm missing something, but isn't that what pyjamas are for?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 12th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 1,785 Posts
    • 9,327 Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Not sure if I'm missing something, but isn't that what pyjamas are for?
    Originally posted by elsien
    I don't wear pyjamas as I find them too uncomfortable. My nighties all have short sleeves but rather than replacing them all, I was thinking a bed jacket would bridge the gap.
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Apr 18, 6:22 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 9,808 Thanks
    wort
    I'd want it over the pjs . I'm always cold. But wouldn't put the heating on.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 7,588 Posts
    • 21,679 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I tend not to sit up in bed & read, but would probably drape a fleece or a blanket around me if I did.

Sleep in a jacket!? No thank you, but we're all different.
    • CurlyTop
    • By CurlyTop 15th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 363 Posts
    • 1,980 Thanks
    CurlyTop
    I am always cold in bed. I wear a short sleeved nightie and socks in winter months. When I feel it is cold, I'very bought a pair of primark flannelette pj's and just wear the top overthe nightie for an extra layer. I can always take it off during the night if I get too hot and still maintain warmth through my nightie still being on. Gone are days of me being butt naked
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Apr 18, 11:06 AM
    • 19,678 Posts
    • 52,545 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We've just put away our 10.5 duvet and put on the 4 tog.

I've got a 1 tog duvet for summer.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Apr 18, 11:18 AM
    • 10,869 Posts
    • 28,896 Thanks
    suki1964
    We've just put away our 10.5 duvet and put on the 4 tog.

I've got a 1 tog duvet for summer.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    The 10.5 tog didn't see the light of day this winter , I managed with just a sheet , window open, bare skin and no heating

Just got to love the hot flushes
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 15th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 10,404 Posts
    • 113,366 Thanks
    LameWolf
    I don't wear anything in bed (and haven't done for the last 50 years) - let alone a jacket.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Same here; and Mr LW hasn't worn pyjamas since I moved in with him in 2002.

If I want to sit up for whatever reason and it's chilly, I just chuck my dressing gown round my shoulders.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Judesuk
    • By Judesuk 17th Apr 18, 10:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judesuk
    I always wear a bed jacket when itís cold as I have short sleeved nighties. I donít like a warm bedroom and the window is always open.
    When itís really cold I also have a hot water bottle for my feet, though the cat usually hogs it!
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 18th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 10,888 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    We live in an old property, which is cold and drafty. This winter we haven't bothered with the 10.5 tog duvet just sticking with the 4.5 tog.

If I'm finding it too cold to sit up in bed to read, I wear a shawl a present my friend knitted me, she also lives in a very old house so appreciated the need. The yarn is a wonderful colour and it is very soft, dd calls it my snuggly.
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 18th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 10,888 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    We live in an old property, which is cold and drafty. This winter we haven't bothered with the 10.5 tog duvet just sticking with the 4.5 tog.

If I'm finding it too cold to sit up in bed to read, I wear a shawl a present my friend knitted me, she also lives in a very old house so appreciated the need. The yarn is a wonderful colour and it is very soft, dd calls it my snuggly.
    • wort
    • By wort 18th Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 9,808 Thanks
    wort
    Gosh you lot are hot blooded, !
    My pjs are long sleeved and long pants, and only change into short sleeved in heat waves. My 13.5 tog duvet is on most of the year, again if heat wave then I have 5 tog.
    At the moment I have a thick throw over my duvet too!!!
    I have hot flushes but they don't last that long, the covers are thrown off I get up ,cool down get back in.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • skintscot
    • By skintscot 18th Apr 18, 10:58 AM
    • 39 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    skintscot
    Only in hospital
    That's the only place I've ever used them, as a cover up when you're propped up in bed all day. They are comfier than a cardigan. Wouldn't use them at home though.
    if i had known then what i know now
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 18th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 2,611 Posts
    • 7,606 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    Just had a look at the M&S website and they sell bed jackets.
    Originally posted by THIRZAH
    I know - I got one a couple of years ago from my mother. I know my house is cold but I was only in my 40s not my 80s! DD wore it once when she was home poorly and wanted to read in bed.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 21st Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 20,063 Posts
    • 33,112 Thanks
    Spendless
    I bought a short dressing gown for my Mum a couple of years ago from M&S. She was going into hospital for an op and needed something to wear when she was sitting up in bed that cover her more of a 'cover-up' than just nightwear.
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 23rd Apr 18, 7:50 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    When I'm reading in bed I get in as normal under the covers then i put my dressing gown on back to front ie as if I was going to tie it at my back. It spreads out over the downie so bridges the gap between my shoulders and downie, covers my arms without it slipping down all the time like a separate blanket would but doesn't get all bunched up at my back or where I'm sitting like it used to when I put it on the proper way.

Daisy
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

5,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin