Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 12th Apr 18, 12:22 AM
    • 700Posts
    • 112Thanks
    kuepper
    Cats damaging garden fence and pooing in my garden
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:22 AM
    Cats damaging garden fence and pooing in my garden 12th Apr 18 at 12:22 AM
    I have a ~5' traditional fence with overlap panels but to get between gardens my neighbours' cats scramble to the top of the panels and cling there before jumping down the other side. Through their claws and their weight (and an increase in the cat population in recent months) the panels have become loose and damaged. I don't see the point in replacing them like for like as the same thing will just happen again. Can anyone recommend a cat proof solution that affords reasonable privacy?

I'm also getting sick of the cats pooing in my garden too, any suggestions to deter them welcome!
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 12th Apr 18, 4:22 AM
    • 9,834 Posts
    • 4,956 Thanks
    missile
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:22 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:22 AM
    You could try one of the ultrasonic deterrents ?

Just a suggestion. I have never used one and do not know if they are effective.
    Last edited by missile; 12-04-2018 at 4:25 AM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 12th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 1,584 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:22 AM
    Sit there with your hosepipe and trigger spray ready for action - they soon get the idea

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 26,896 Posts
    • 96,689 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    We have these questions about cats every year.

There are dozens of 'answers,' most of of which don't work, but people try them because they're too daft, poor or lazy to do things that will work.....or maybe the cats aren't really the huge problem they say they are.

I have chickens, badgers and foxes, not all together of course, because if the other two access the chickens, they're gone. So, I don't get any options, except to build a 100% fox/badger proof fence. I have and it works.

You can build a cat proof fence, but I cannot pretend it'll be cheap or pretty.
    Just a bit of bird netting on top of a typical fence would certainly help though.

Failing that, you can create what I have naturally for my cats, which is areas of dry, friable soil where the'd much rather 'go' than on other areas where digging is harder. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's better than an old lemonade bottle half full of water on the lawn, or scattering grapefruit skins around the place!

Oh, and if your fence panels really fall to bits because of cats, I'd hate to think what the force of a 65mph wind would do to them!
    Last edited by Davesnave; 12-04-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    Gardening is cheaper than psychotherapy.....and you get tomatoes.
    • Ant555
    • By Ant555 12th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Ant555
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    I had similar issues a few years back and was only partially successful.

I considered putting something spiky on the fence but decided that was not right so opted for persuading them to toilet elsewhere.
    Wilko had a 'cat repellent' spray that smelt absolutely awful and a bit like garlic that I sprayed every other week over the winter and it did indeed keep them away. Not sure if its still available.

I wasnt able to stop them walking along the top of my fence however it seemed like an amicable solution that I let them use the fence if the went to the loo elsewhere!
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 12th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 3,529 Posts
    • 5,213 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    The best way to keep cats out of your garden - is to get a cat of your own.

Otherwise - try soaking used tea bags in olbas oil and scattering then around the 'poo' areas. Cats hate the smell.
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 12th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    When we moved in to our house, the front lawn was covered in it from the neighbors cat. The smell in the summer walking to my front door was terrible, mowing the lawn was just nasty and was worried about my little boy getting covered in it.

Literally every day with out fail there was something. The worst thing was the cat used to go in the top of our new topiary balls we had planted.

I bought some of the cat scanner off ebay, about £20 each, the day I put them in I had zero mess,.. lasted for about 2 months or so, batteries ran out and immediately we had problems again.

I had about 4, 1 i think is now a bit knackered and the others have run out of battery, so only down side is you do have to keep replacing the batteries which I havent done so much through the winter, but now its getting nicer weather I am going to get them all working again,
    • societys child
    • By societys child 12th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 6,397 Thanks
    societys child
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:40 PM
    you do have to keep replacing the batteries
    Noticed recently that solar powered are now available.

• ITtim
    • By ITtim 12th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 404 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    ITtim
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:02 PM
    You could try one of the ultrasonic deterrents ?

Just a suggestion. I have never used one and do not know if they are effective.
    Originally posted by missile
    I've had good success with these devices. The only thing is I seem to replace them every year but they really keep the cats away
    kicking squealing gucci little piggy.
    • thebigstillmeister
    • By thebigstillmeister 12th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    thebigstillmeister
    Noticed recently that solar powered are now available.
    Originally posted by societys child
    Might have a look,. although I usually bury them in a hedge out of sight, so not sure how much sun they would get.
    • kuepper
    • By kuepper 12th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    kuepper
    "Oh, and if your fence panels really fall to bits because of cats, I'd hate to think what the force of a 65mph wind would do to them!"

They withstand the wind fine, it's the tops of the panels that have been ruined by the cats over the past few months, there's no 'if' about it. I haven't got a cat myself it's my neighbours who have, there was only 1 cat for many years which didn't cause a problem but now there's a few of them. I think they use the tops to sharpen their claws too
    Last edited by kuepper; 12-04-2018 at 5:53 PM.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 12th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    trigger fish
    "Oh, and if your fence panels really fall to bits because of cats, I'd hate to think what the force of a 65mph wind would do to them!"

They withstand the wind fine, it's the tops of the panels that have been ruined by the cats over the past few months, there's no 'if' about it
    Originally posted by kuepper
    In the past I have seen a 'cat prickler.' Rubber strip that you lay on top of fence/wall with 'pricklers' that they don't like treading on.

That's the theory anyway but cats are clever.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 12th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 1,619 Posts
    • 1,601 Thanks
    z1a
    We have these questions about cats every year.

There are dozens of 'answers,' most of of which don't work, but people try them because they're too daft, poor or lazy to do things that will work.....or maybe the cats aren't really the huge problem they say they are.

I have chickens, badgers and foxes, not all together of course, because if the other two access the chickens, they're gone. So, I don't get any options, except to build a 100% fox/badger proof fence. I have and it works.

You can build a cat proof fence, but I cannot pretend it'll be cheap or pretty.
    Just a bit of bird netting on top of a typical fence would certainly help though.

Failing that, you can create what I have naturally for my cats, which is areas of dry, friable soil where the'd much rather 'go' than on other areas where digging is harder. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's better than an old lemonade bottle half full of water on the lawn, or scattering grapefruit skins around the place!

Oh, and if your fence panels really fall to bits because of cats, I'd hate to think what the force of a 65mph wind would do to them!
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    We don't have a problem with cats, but just puzzled about your reference about an old lemonade bottle. What's that about?
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 12th Apr 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,542 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Jonesya
    I bought some of the cat scanner off ebay, about £20 each, the day I put them in I had zero mess,.. lasted for about 2 months or so, batteries ran out and immediately we had problems again.

I had about 4, 1 i think is now a bit knackered and the others have run out of battery, so only down side is you do have to keep replacing the batteries which I havent done so much through the winter, but now its getting nicer weather I am going to get them all working again,
    Originally posted by thebigstillmeister
    Same here with my front lawn, the ultra sonic scare wasn't 100% effective but big improvement over the situation before.

Plus, you can use rechargeable batteries in them.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 26,896 Posts
    • 96,689 Thanks
    Davesnave
    We don't have a problem with cats, but just puzzled about your reference about an old lemonade bottle. What's that about?
    Originally posted by z1a
    One of the things cats are supposed to be afraid of is a half-filled pop bottle lying somewhere conspicuous, like on the lawn.

As a cat owner, I think they might be suspicious of anything new and a little strange-looking, but they're far too smart to stay away for long.

They'll check it out at a distance and gradually move closer when it doesn't 'do' anything. Then they'll ignore it.

It's the same with the cat silhouettes....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Betterware-Weather-Proof-Cat-Scare/dp/B001QV4DW8

The really scary thing about these is that 41% of purchasers thought they were great. I know what my cats would think of them!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Apr 18, 9:04 PM
    • 26,896 Posts
    • 96,689 Thanks
    Davesnave

They withstand the wind fine, it's the tops of the panels that have been ruined by the cats over the past few months, there's no 'if' about it.
    Originally posted by kuepper
    Yes, they will sharpen claws on wood. Mine have a posh scratching post in the house and use it daily, but they still go outside and finish off on the wood around my deep beds!

Those deep beds are 9 years old, and while I can see where they've scratched, there isn't much damage. They also don't scratch in the places where I've added galvanised nails to put string lines across, so there's a clue.

I still I think my earlier suggestion of bird netting about 30cm high fixed along the top of the fence, using something like roofing battens as uprights, would probably help to deter jumping over and scratching. I do something similar on the top of my chicken fencing and foxes won't take it on, because it offers nothing substantial as a foothold.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 12th Apr 18, 9:51 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    trigger fish
    Originally posted by z1a
    They see their reflection and think its another cat.

Doesn't work for long.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 12th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 3,074 Thanks
    trigger fish
    If you really get into cat deterrent there are motion sensor activated water guns.

But it squirts at anything that moves quick enough.

Reminds me of the film aliens.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 12th Apr 18, 11:58 PM
    • 15,322 Posts
    • 13,877 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    Prikka strip
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,246Posts Today

7,131Users online

Martin's Twitter