Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gingyloo
    • By Gingyloo 11th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Gingyloo
    Selling platinum and diamond rings
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    Selling platinum and diamond rings 11th Apr 18 at 11:22 PM
    Hi!

Iíve got platinum and diamond engagement and wedding rings that I need to sell as Iím getting divorced.

Does anyone know where Iím most likely to get the most for my money?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Page 1
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 10,881 Posts
    • 14,324 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:24 AM
    ebay! (Add a reserve.)

I sold mine. Got far more there than I was offered in several jewellers (both local and in Hatton Garden).

Don't expect to get anything like their value though. You'll be lucky to get a quarter - and that's if you have all the paperwork like I did.
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 14,763 Posts
    • 19,981 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    Don't expect to get anything like their value though.
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    You will get their true value, not their replacement cost.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 12th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    74jax
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    ebay! (Add a reserve.)

I sold mine. Got far more there than I was offered in several jewellers (both local and in Hatton Garden).

Don't expect to get anything like their value though. You'll be lucky to get a quarter - and that's if you have all the paperwork like I did.
    I sold my wedding ring and engagement - I had all certificates - to a local jewelers. I got what the certificate stated even though the price of gold had gone up. I was happy with what I got.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 12th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10,881 Posts
    • 14,324 Thanks
    hazyjo
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    You will get their true value, not their replacement cost.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Wrong choice of word lol. Yep, value is what someone will pay. I stand corrected. (I meant 'valuation' as in what was written on the certificate for insurance) but was merely pointing out the valuation wasn't their value (agreeing with you).

I sold my wedding ring and engagement - I had all certificates - to a local jewelers. I got what the certificate stated even though the price of gold had gone up. I was happy with what I got.
    Originally posted by 74jax
    VERY lucky - mine was nowhere near the certificate price. They were platinum with diamonds and cost four figures. Sold for much less!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 12th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 4,751 Posts
    • 6,495 Thanks
    74jax
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:31 PM

VERY lucky - mine was nowhere near the certificate price. They were platinum with diamonds and cost four figures. Sold for much less!
    Mine were gold, they were around 2.5k for 3 rings, but at the time the price of gold was really high, but they just paid the value certificate price from when they were bought (no idea how much they were when New as they were bought by ex). They didn't really have diamonds (of worth) but small ones around a large blue stone. I can't remember what the stone was....

I know my husband now has the certificate for my current rings, no idea if it's paid for price or value price - as surely it would depend on the actual day of sale how much the material and diamonds are worth. But I don't know how it all works really.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 12th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 2,338 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    Hi, it wont apply if you would prefer to have the money now but you could always keep the items and get them recast into another piece of jewellery at some point. You are then not losing any money on the metal and stones.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,863Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin