Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LordDude79
    • By LordDude79 11th Apr 18, 11:05 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 2Thanks
    LordDude79
    Ignored UK Car Park Management Invoice
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:05 PM
    Ignored UK Car Park Management Invoice 11th Apr 18 at 11:05 PM
    Hi everyone,

I have spent the evening trawling this amazing forum but am left with a few questions. First, let me briefly explain my situation.

On the 3/01/2018 I was parked in my allocated parking space outside my flat. A parking company (UK Car Park Management - CPM) had been recently been employed to regulated parking in the area and I had not yet put the supplied permit in my car window.

At no point have I agreed to the rules of the parking company and nowhere in my tenancy agreement was it mentioned that one would be instructed to operate by the facility management company (Pembroke).

I began by ignoring the invoice which I now believe, after reading this forum, I should have actually appealed within the dictated time-frame. I assumed ignoring the scammers was the best approach, just like I do with spam emails.

I have now received a letter from (don't shout at me) Debt Recovery Plus, which I will ignore as per all the advice on this forum.

I have recently moved and updated the DVLA through their online portal. The DRP letter was sent to my new address and the first was sent to my old address.

This post is NOT intended to request advice regarding DRP, but this letter has reignited my annoyance at the situation and I hope someone will be kind enough to answer the following questions and provide relevant guidance.

1) Does anyone know what the traditional sequence of correspondence is when dealing with CPM when consistently ignored?

2) Further to the above question, how long will it be until they leave me alone?

3) As I have clearly missed the deadline for appeal would contacting them do any good?

4) If contacting them might help, is there a template that might fit with my situation?

5) Should I update CPM with my new address? Bare in mind I still have access to mail sent to my old address as my brother still lives there.

Please may I ask, if your kind advice contains reference to any posts in the 'Newbies' sticky that is mentioned all over this board, could you include a link to it. I have found something called Newbies and have read it thoroughly but have found nothing that would help with my situation. I may be reading the wrong thing so a link would be great.

I look forward to your feedback and welcome any suggestions.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 11,362 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    For the NEWBIES thread, you are looking for a thread entitled:
    **NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!

It is always one of the first four on the thread index page - one click of your browser's back button from here - and is currently the third thread.
    • LordDude79
    • By LordDude79 11th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LordDude79
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    Thanks KeithP,

That is defiantly the one that I have read.

Unfortunately, although useful, that post doesn't seem to answer any of my questions listed above.

I hope someone can help as I am not sure how to proceed given my particular situation.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Apr 18, 11:33 PM
    • 9,202 Posts
    • 9,601 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:33 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:33 PM
    Please may I ask, if your kind advice contains reference to any posts in the 'Newbies' sticky that is mentioned all over this board, could you include a link to it.
    Originally posted by LordDude79
    Why..?

You were provided with certain information as part of your signup, which you confirmed having read and understood - Amongst this was clear guidance on how to find and use the stickies in any forum here.

Post one answers your questions completely - try reading it properly.
    Last edited by pogofish; 11-04-2018 at 11:35 PM.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Apr 18, 11:44 PM
    • 11,362 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:44 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:44 PM
    1) As you are receiving debt collector's letters, the next in sequence will be a Letter Before Claim, followed by a Court Claim.
    You may receive many debt collectors letters - maybe from more than one debt collector.

2) The debt collector's letters may go on for some time. They may not. But any court claim must be started within six years.

3) the advice generally here is to not contact the PPC. Now that DRP are involved the PPC will just refer you to them.

4) for the reason given in the answer to 3), there is no template.

5) if you can definitely rely on not missing any mail, then no need.
    However, consider that if your brother moves sometime in the next four or five years, and you forget to update your contact details with the PPC, there is the possibility of you getting a court judgment against you without having the opportunity to defend your case.
    For that reason it would be prudent to write to the PPC advising them of your new address now. Keep a record of having done that - Certificate of Posting from your Post Office.
    Last edited by KeithP; 11-04-2018 at 11:47 PM.
    • LordDude79
    • By LordDude79 12th Apr 18, 12:01 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LordDude79
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:01 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:01 AM
    Why..?

You were provided with certain information as part of your signup, which you confirmed having read and understood - Amongst this was clear guidance on how to find and use the stickies in any forum here.

Post one answers your questions completely - try reading it properly.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    Hi Pogofish,

As I mentioned in my reply to KeithP, I had indeed found the post but was not sure it was the correct one.

My reason for my doubt was that the post is referred to as 'Newbies' but the actual title is '**NEWBIES!! PRIVATE PARKING TICKET? OLD OR NEW? **READ THESE FAQS FIRST!** Thankyou!'.

As this post did not seem to have all of the information I required, I assumed I may be missing something and there was indeed another post called 'Newbies'. Due to this, I thought it would be a good idea to ask for clarification as an after thought to my main post.

I tried to watch the introdction video but the link does not bring me to a video, rather a page titled 'New to the MSE forum?' which also does not contain a video.

Anyway, I have definitely read the 'Newbies' post and would still appreciate a little help if anyone is open to it.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    • 20,410 Posts
    • 25,768 Thanks
    Redx
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    1) Does anyone know what the traditional sequence of correspondence is when dealing with CPM when consistently ignored?

2) Further to the above question, how long will it be until they leave me alone?

3) As I have clearly missed the deadline for appeal would contacting them do any good?

4) If contacting them might help, is there a template that might fit with my situation?

5) Should I update CPM with my new address? Bare in mind I still have access to mail sent to my old address as my brother still lives there.
    Originally posted by LordDude79
    1) DEBT COLLECTOR letters like you get now, sometimes on headed notepaper where it is pretending to be from a solicitors like GLADRAGS

then possibly a REAL gladrags LBC type letter (or formal LBC) with a different reference code

then possibly an MCOL from Northampton CCBC

2) 6 years (when its statute barred)

3) NO

4) NONE , see 3) above

5) YES, keep a copy and free proof of posting , for 6 years

there is no easy fix, no magic bullet , its pay or ignore, but DO NOT ignore any formal LBC or an MCOL from Northampton CCBC (court papers)

you only owe a sum of money if a judge says so , in court , within 6 years

nobody can help you at this moment in time , its stalemate , with neither side budging
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • LordDude79
    • By LordDude79 12th Apr 18, 12:10 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LordDude79
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:10 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:10 AM
    1) As you are receiving debt collector's letters, the next in sequence will be a Letter Before Claim, followed by a Court Claim.
    You may receive many debt collectors letters - maybe from more than one debt collector.

2) The debt collector's letters may go on for some time. They may not. But any court claim must be started within six years.

3) the advice generally here is to not contact the PPC. Now that DRP are involved the PPC will just refer you to them.

4) for the reason given in the answer to 3), there is no template.

5) if you can definitely rely on not missing any mail, then no need.
    However, consider that if your brother moves sometime in the next four or five years, and you forget to update your contact details with the PPC, there is the possibility of you getting a court judgment against you without having the opportunity to defend your case.
    For that reason it would be prudent to write to the PPC advising them of your new address now. Keep a record of having done that - Certificate of Posting from your Post Office.
    Originally posted by KeithP
    Hi KeithP,

Thanks for the information.

I think you are right regarding the change of address. I had not realised it could go on that long.

Am I correct in thinking, basically I should have appealed on time but now my choices are pay it, get Pembroke to instruct them to cancel it or wait it out?
    • LordDude79
    • By LordDude79 12th Apr 18, 12:14 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LordDude79
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:14 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:14 AM
    1) DEBT COLLECTOR letters like you get now, sometimes on headed notepaper where it is pretending to be from a solicitors like GLADRAGS

then possibly a REAL gladrags LBC type letter (or formal LBC) with a different reference code

then possibly an MCOL from Northampton CCBC

2) 6 years (when its statute barred)

3) NO

4) NONE , see 3) above

5) YES, keep a copy and free proof of posting , for 6 years

there is no easy fix, no magic bullet , its pay or ignore, but DO NOT ignore any formal LBC or an MCOL from Northampton CCBC (court papers)

you only owe a sum of money if a judge says so , in court , within 6 years

nobody can help you at this moment in time , its stalemate , with neither side budging
    Originally posted by Redx
    Thanks for the info Redx,

I will be waiting it out I think. If I get anything formal sent through I will post it here for further input.

Thanks again
    • Redx
    • By Redx 12th Apr 18, 12:15 AM
    • 20,410 Posts
    • 25,768 Thanks
    Redx
    yes you should have appealed it on time !!!
    NO , they would not have cancelled it !!!
    why ? - no profit in a cancellation, they have you on the hook
    why appeal then ?- to show you tried , in any future court case

yes those choices are correct, and a landowner cancellation is always the BEST option - regardless , there is nothing better unless the PPC cancels it themselves

once you had appealed it , you would be exactly where you are now , in IGNORE mode like post #4 of that NEWBIES sticky thread says

if they issue court papers, then its serious and you MUST respond - in which case see post #2 of that NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread (3rd thread down)

you are not alone , tens of thousands of people are IGNORING the debt collector chain letters , waiting to see if they get an LBC or an MCOL in the post witin 6 years , hence why you should inform them of your current address for service of papers
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 2,372 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Use the "Search" facility at the top of the page, click on Advanced, input "own space" into keywords and select the radio button POSTS not THREADS. Here is one I found earlier.
    • LordDude79
    • By LordDude79 1st Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LordDude79
    Gladstone LBC
    Hi Everyone,

So, it is 6 months later and I have now received an LBC from Gladstones.

The question is, what do I do now?

They are asking for 160 or threatening to start legal proceedings. I am happy to reply to them but am not sure what to say. I have seen template letters that some people seem to use but all the advice is to rewrite them to fit but I can't get my head around the information in the template.

I believe my defence is to point out the LBC does not contain all of the information that it should do and also, I never agreed to parking regulations and it was not mentioned in my contract. Moreover, the space is allocated to my flat.

Also, they sent it to an old address. I moved to the flat in question around a year ago. I had already updated my new address with the DVLA and after my previous posts here, I sent them an email providing them with my current address. Is this something that may help me?

As the letter was sent to the wrong address, there was a delay in my reading it. It was issued on the 17th Sept and I got to read it yesterday (31st September). It says on the letter I have 30 days to respond.

I am happy to keep fighting it but I am not sure how to go about it.

N.B I have read the 'Newbies' thread but cannot see anything that applies to my exact situation.

Any information would be welcome.

Thanks
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 1st Oct 18, 9:11 PM
    • 11,362 Posts
    • 11,889 Thanks
    KeithP
    What you need to do now is respond to that LBC.

There is guidance on how you might do that, together with examples, in post #2 of the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 1st Oct 18, 10:09 PM
    • 64,896 Posts
    • 77,472 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You cover all this (two main things) in your reply, no need to use a template:

1. I never agreed to parking regulations and it was not mentioned in my contract. Moreover, the space is allocated to my flat.

2. Also, they sent it to an old address. I moved to the flat in question around a year ago. I had already updated my new address with the DVLA and after my previous posts here, I sent them an email providing them with my current address.
    You prove your right to park by showing them an excerpt from the lease about your right to park, and the map that shows it's an allocated space, if there is a map of it.

And you remind them of your address for service and that they have already been told by email on xx/xx/18, so they MUST NOT retain the old address & their client must consider this a Notice of required Erasure of data, and to rectify it to show your current address ONLY.

Don't read 'advice' recently spammed onto this forum by a new poster who is rocking up trying to steer every residential case his way. You'll know what I mean when you start reading other residential LBC cases. Search the forum and read others in your situation, but watch out to be forum savvy about a new poster steering with lengthy templates.

Are you a tenant, or a leasehold owner?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

576Posts Today

5,183Users online

Martin's Twitter