Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stardustjunkie
    • By Stardustjunkie 11th Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Stardustjunkie
    Iphone completely dead - where do I stand?
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    Iphone completely dead - where do I stand? 11th Apr 18 at 9:52 PM
    32gb Iphone 7 on contract with EE. Contract started 7th December 2016, so the phone is 1 year 4 months old.

I did nothing.. the phone was fine. I put it on my bedside table and went to sleep. Woke up in a panic this morning because my alarm hadnt gone off, to discover a dead phone. I took it to a local shop who run some tests and determined it's not the battery or the screen, it's just completely died.

EE told me i can upgrade early for £229 (not a chance), or send it off for repair at an unknown cost. This will take about 2 weeks minimum.

Alternatively Apple do out of warranty repair for about £350 (again, not a chance).

Contents insurance isn't possible as I am lodger and don't want to put it on my housemates insurance, losing her no claims.

Feeling very frustrated and think it's incredibly unfair that this happened at no fault of my own. Am I protected by any laws?
Page 1
    • John-K
    • By John-K 11th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    John-K
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    Protected against your electronics breaking by any laws?

No really. Goods need to be fit for purpose, and of suitable quality, but it!!!8217;s not clear that that means that a phone cannot break if it!!!8217;s had a hard life.

Why not sign up for a session at the Genius Bar, and have Apple have a look? It!!!8217;s free, and they may well fin dit!!!8217;s a simple issue.

Alternatively, have someone like iSmash have a look.
    • Stardustjunkie
    • By Stardustjunkie 11th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Stardustjunkie
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    I would take it to the genius bar, but the nearest bars are about 2 hours away and a £20 train fare. Would also require a day off work.

I wasn't sure if there were some consumer rights laws about this kind of thing. It seems wrong that a phone can be faulty while it's in contract. They can prove it wasn't water damaged etc. The screen is in perfect condition too.
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    d123
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    Have you tried plugging it in to a charger that's confirmed as working and just leave it for 4-5 hours? Preferably an iPad charger if you have access to one.

I've seen earlier iPhones that have been allowed to go dead when the battery totally discharges, sometimes a long charge can kick it back into life.

If that doesn't work I would the take the advice above and make a Genius Bar appointment and let them have a proper look at it.

I would take it to the genius bar, but the nearest bars are about 2 hours away and a £20 train fare. Would also require a day off work.
    Originally posted by Stardustjunkie
    Apple Stores are open 7 days a week and often till quite late during the week.
    ====
    • Stardustjunkie
    • By Stardustjunkie 11th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Stardustjunkie
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    I'm having a chat with Apple right now to see if I can get them to fix it. I have also plugged it in to see if it does anything overnight. I won't get my hopes up!
    • lewishardwick
    • By lewishardwick 11th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    lewishardwick
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    I've had this happen on an iPhone 6. I had to leave it for a few hours on charge using a genuine charger before it would do anything...
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 11th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 702 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:31 PM
    Have you tried a hard reset?

Press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and Volume down simultaneously for 10 seconds.

Nothing to lose by trying.
    • Stardustjunkie
    • By Stardustjunkie 12th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Stardustjunkie
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:40 AM
    Unfortunately a hard reset doesn't work
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 7,923 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    Just because something costs an arm and a leg doesn't mean you can get it repaired free beyond the warranty period (whatever that may be). It's up to you to factor that in and decide whether it's worth the risk - and judging by the number of people appearing on here with similar problems as well as those inside the warranty period whose warranty is deemed to be void because of cracked screens etc. it's an expensive gamble.
    • The Big Bamboo
    • By The Big Bamboo 12th Apr 18, 9:15 AM
    • 138 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    The Big Bamboo
    Have you tried plugging it in to a charger that's confirmed as working and just leave it for 4-5 hours? Preferably an iPad charger if you have access to one.

I've seen earlier iPhones that have been allowed to go dead when the battery totally discharges, sometimes a long charge can kick it back into life.

If that doesn't work I would the take the advice above and make a Genius Bar appointment and let them have a proper look at it.

Apple Stores are open 7 days a week and often till quite late during the week.
    Originally posted by d123
    My wife’s iPhone did exactly that . She charged her phone every night as a matter of course but she never checked the battery status and unbeknown to her the remaining power was draining away slowly when the battery charger failed.

One morning the phone was as dead as a dodo;…however, a known good charger resurrected it,…eventually!

It can be a bit puzzling because the iPhone didn’t even acknowledge the presence of a charger for the first 45mins or so;….it’s easy to give-up in the belief that the iPhone is totally goosed.

However, once fully charged all was well thereafter.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 12th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Aren!!!8217;t you covered by the 2 year eu consumer law?
    I had an 18 month old 5s refunded for this reason.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Kingsd316
    • By Kingsd316 12th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Kingsd316
    This may sound crazy but it worked for an old iphone 4 I had which i needed a photo off of, the phone was completely dead as it had been in a drawer for about 6 month, i charged it over night expecting it to work wouldn't charge at all. I spend about 2 hours on the internet trying to see if anyone had a solution, which they did. I was told to plug the phone in the charger as normal but leave it (attended) on top of a radiator that was on or a hot water tank etc, about half an hour later the phone switched on and started to charge as normal.

Alternately you can heat the phone up prior to plugging it in with a hair dryer for about 5-10 mins and then plug in, it should start charging after about 5 mins

There is some kind of science to this but i cant actually find the forum I found it on
    Last edited by Kingsd316; 12-04-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 12th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 9,614 Posts
    • 7,257 Thanks
    pmduk
    It's as likely that the charger has failed as the phone itself.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    d123
    Aren!!!8217;t you covered by the 2 year eu consumer law?
    I had an 18 month old 5s refunded for this reason.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    There is no 2 year EU consumer law in the UK (it's a myth).

However the OP could have a claim under statutory rights against their retailer, but to get a consumable item like battery seen as such a claim can be difficult.
    ====
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 5,473 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    have you tried clearing out the charging port? Bent paper clip usually does the trick, be surprised the crap that comes out, then try charging again
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 12th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 5,473 Posts
    • 4,661 Thanks
    glentoran99
    There is no 2 year EU consumer law in the UK (it's a myth).

However the OP could have a claim under statutory rights against their retailer, but to get a consumable item like battery seen as such a claim can be difficult.
    Originally posted by d123

If it was bought from Apple then they do replace within 2 years
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 12th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 1,721 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    It is on contract with EE. An Apple Store is worth an appointment, which costs nothing, but the warranty is with EE.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    d123
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    Agreed, but only applies if Apple is the retailer.

OP's phone is from EE.
    ====
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    boatman
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/your-phone-actually-two-year-11178594

If you sell a two-year contract and the handset to go with it, the handset must last the duration of the contract.
    If it doesn't it must mean the handset was not fit for purpose.

Sounds a reasonable argument.
    Last edited by boatman; 12-04-2018 at 9:07 PM. Reason: ii
    • Stardustjunkie
    • By Stardustjunkie 12th Apr 18, 9:00 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    Stardustjunkie
    Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. I've been doing research and speaking to Apple. I'm taking it to a genius bar on Saturday for a free diagnostic test. Once I have that, which should in theory prove that it's not been damaged but is a hardware failure, Apple have advised me that EE should replace the product based on some kind of consumer law. Because the phone wasn't bought through Apple, they can't cover it (but would it it had been bought through them). The question now is whether or not EE will play fair. I'm looking at where i stand with my direct debit too. If they refuse to replace a faulty phone then am I within my rights to cancel my direct debit to them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,069Posts Today

6,952Users online

Martin's Twitter