Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miniminter
    • By Miniminter 11th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 19Thanks
    Miniminter
    What is the worst thing that has happened to you at Work?
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:44 PM
    What is the worst thing that has happened to you at Work? 11th Apr 18 at 9:44 PM
    Or the worst thing you have done at work

I work in a supermarket and while in the warehouse yard while it was icy , I slipped and injured myself.
Page 1
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 6,610 Posts
    • 5,103 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    I bunged up the plumbing.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    • 16,363 Posts
    • 41,336 Thanks
    elsien
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    Being asked silly questions by people who have absolutely no interest in the answer.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 11th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 427 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    I murdered someone.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 11th Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,252 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    z1a
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:24 PM
    Probably killed a lot of people with landmines.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 11th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    If slipping over is the worst thing that's ever happened to you at work then you should probably consider yourself very lucky indeed.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 11th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    • 38,480 Posts
    • 35,149 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:43 PM
    I accidentally / absent-mindedly deleted the folder which contained the address list for our mailing list.

Then, for good measure, I emptied the bin on that computer.

As soon as I'd done it, I realised I had probably been Very Stupid Indeed.

Small charity. I can't remember what our backup systems were, but they were not particularly robust. We didn't have a dedicated server: files were kept on one computer and shared with another.

Once I realised the enormity of what I'd done, I debated resigning, but decided it would be more useful if I tried to redeem the situation. Which, I'm pleased to say, I was pretty much able to do. Honestly, I can't remember now how I did it. I'm sure I had some of the data in different spreadsheets in other folders, and I know I did a bit of googling.

It meant I was able to be SLIGHTLY more tolerant of the manager who managed to seriously mangle a couple of very important spreadsheets by opening them using Word. Well, I was the first time. The second time I was not quite so tolerant, especially as they completely denied having done it. ("Word open, let's look at all the files in this folder, oh yes that's the one I want, yes convert, oh dear now it's not doing what I wanted it to" rather than "oh no I don't want to convert, oh whoops let's try it in Excel" or "Explorer open" and so on)
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 11th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    • 20,137 Posts
    • 33,321 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    I did work cover over the Christmas period for people who had left and not been replaced, were off ill or were taking annual leave to go on hol and to pantomimes. My reward was being told by my ex colleague just after christmas that there was to be an office re-shuffle, I lost my job on New Years eve. Doubt I'll ever forgive or forget that one.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 20,113 Posts
    • 15,828 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    In my first job after graduating, many years ago, I once deleted a production insurance file from a hard drive rather than the test file that I had intended. There was no back up. Fortunately the operating system I was using allowed a file to be created in a specific place on a disk, so I manged to create the file in the place where the data still was before anything else used that space. Very squeaky bum time!
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 12th Apr 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    ALT-CTRL-DEL on OS2Warp. I was used to supporting NT4 (old skool) so when our database server started running slowly I used that key shortcut to bring up task manager.

Except it doesn't do that in OS2. It immediately reboots the server without warning or confirmation.

Cue 3-4 hour production downtime as the indexes rebuilt. Fun day!
    • bap98189
    • By bap98189 12th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 4,797 Thanks
    bap98189
    Filled a room with smoke which set off the fire alarm, caused the building to be evacuated, and 6 fire engines summoned.

I was working as a chemist back then and one of our experiments went a little awry.
    • ChicaBonita
    • By ChicaBonita 12th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 639 Posts
    • 1,376 Thanks
    ChicaBonita
    I worked in fast food and while using the ice cream machine it exploded all over me, covering me head to toe in liquid head to toe at 9am (start of a 9 hour shift). I spent the rest of the day crunchy, crispy, and smelling of stale milk!
    House Deposit:£12,570.12/£14,000 = 89.78% Money Made'17 August: £41.04July:
    £4.95
    June: £5.35 May:£30.30April: £51.09March:£28.25Feb: £120.47 Jan:£14.35
    Total Made '16:£284.60
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 12th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 3,782 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    Getting sacked/made redundant from it.

Which was also one of the best things too
    • CurlySue2017
    • By CurlySue2017 12th Apr 18, 11:26 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    CurlySue2017
    Being asked silly questions by people who have absolutely no interest in the answer.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Yet you just couldn't resist posting an answer.....go figure!
    • Spider In The Bath
    • By Spider In The Bath 12th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 1,208 Posts
    • 4,303 Thanks
    Spider In The Bath
    The building set on fire due to a car in the underground car park going up in flames which resulted in the nearest stairwell acting as a chimney pushing smoke up into the building.

As I was the fire officer and worked on the top floor I was the very last one out of the building - not very nice.
    • Katapolt
    • By Katapolt 12th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Katapolt
    When i was a duty manager in a large supermarket a lady made her way to the knife isle and proceeded to harm herself violently.

By the time i got to it it was like a horror movie.

I was 20 and way out of my depth.
    FTB 2017
    Currently dealing with a Quarter Life Crisis
    • timmy963
    • By timmy963 12th Apr 18, 4:41 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 41 Thanks
    timmy963
    Both instances at the same popular general goods retailer:

1) I was working at goods-in in the evening and the backdoor light wasn't working which resulted in me tripping on the lorry tail flap which left a cut on my right leg and a scar. Also had to go to the doctors because it went black.

I reported it 3 times to 2 different managers beforehand and didn't care, yet they quickly jumped into action after I was hurt because of their negligence.

I came in the next day and the light was fixed... I don't know why I didn't put in a claim.

2) I came in early in the morning with my manager and I proceeded to boot the server up only for it to catch fire and fill the stockroom with smoke and soot. I just casually said to my manager who was on the toilet that the server is on fire.

After it stopped burning I rang I.T support and they refused to come out because it "looked fine on their end" except for the recent high temp flag. They said just get a fan a point it at the server forever more.
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 12th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    • 4,673 Posts
    • 6,371 Thanks
    74jax
    Got the phone call my dad had just hours to live.... I was 2hrs away.

Made redundant.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Apr 18, 9:51 AM
    • 8,329 Posts
    • 6,141 Thanks
    pmduk
    In a word - Customers! (They can also be the best thing)
    Last edited by pmduk; 13-04-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    • WillowCat
    • By WillowCat 13th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 966 Thanks
    WillowCat
    Deleting the production database when I thought I was logged into the test server.

As I finished the command I realised what i'd done. Two seconds later the phones started ringing. Had to go back to previous night's backup and all data entry for that day had to be redone.

I was not popular!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,958Posts Today

6,934Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin