Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 11th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,422Posts
    • 3,798Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    Domestic & General
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    Domestic & General 11th Apr 18 at 9:32 PM
    The Domestic & General service contracts that I have qualifies every service that they offer in exchange for the service charge as follows "(at our option)".

If their option is to do nothing in the case of each service, they appeared to be selling nothing for the money.

Is it correct that every paid for service is at their option?
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19 west of south > 35 pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
Page 1
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 11th Apr 18, 9:49 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 2,197 Thanks
    seashore22
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:49 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:49 PM
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

Despite saying an automatic "no" to every extended warranty we've been offered (I think they are generally a waste of time and money), we did end up with one on our washer/ drier because it's so unreliable. D and G have never failed to come out and repair it when it's broken down. Apparently the spares for our machine are very common and I get the impression that they will be repairing it into the next century if we so wished.

I think they will offer a replacement if the machine isn't repairable, but I doubt that it will give me the washing machine I want and I'm fairly keen to get a decent replacement and ditch the service plan.

Does that help?
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 14th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,422 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    Thank you. My point here concerns a matter of contract. The consumer pays money in exchange for a service. The service provider offers nothing in return for the money that is not at its option.

So if Domestic & General says, "we opt to do nothing" then the contract has no value.

Usually, a contract would offer something concrete in return for the consumer's money.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19 west of south > 35 pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 14th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 9,978 Posts
    • 11,248 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    • 14th Apr 18, 11:02 AM
    It might be that they have that clause in the T&C's to allow them to refuse to repair an item if they think that the damage or failure is intentional because the policyholder wanted a new appliance.

With all of the posts on here where D&G get a mention, I can't remember reading one where they have refused to do anything so it's probably there just in case rather than something they use on a regular basis.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,010Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin