Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Daz1a
    • By Daz1a 11th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Daz1a
    Government Pension-Auto Enrollment, Help & Advice Needed!!!
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    Government Pension-Auto Enrollment, Help & Advice Needed!!! 11th Apr 18 at 8:29 PM
    Hello and thanks for reading.
    I'm not very well educated but I'm concerned that I'm not contributing to any pension and would like some help.

I was auto enrolled by my previous employer when this government pension scheme first started a few years ago, contributions were paid to the pension provider NEST.
    After 11 years I left their employment, I now somewhat regret my decision.

I found alternative employment and have been employed since September 2017.
    After 13 weeks employment I asked about the pension scheme and they replied that I would be enrolled in February 2018.
    It is now April 2018 and I've just received my weekly payslip, we are in week 2 of the 2018/2019 tax year and still no pension contributions have been paid since the start of my employment with this company.
    I would like to be in the scheme, since I started employment I wanted my employer and myself to make contributions into the pension scheme.

To my knowledge, isn't now (As of April 2018) compulsory for employers to enroll employees onto the government pension scheme?
    I understand employees can opt out if they wish to do so.

I have learned through conversations with other employees that the company uses NEST, the same pension provider as of my previous employer.

Also, employees have had pension contributions deducted from their pay but these contributions do not show on their NEST accounts.
    And some weeks no contributions are made.

I have been told that the company has been reported several times by the pension provider but I have no knowledge of any consequences.

I would like to be in the government pension scheme just like I was with my previous employer and that regular contributions are made by me and my employer.
    Please if anybody could offer any help & advice it would be much appreciated.

Kind regards
    Darren
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 93,992 Posts
    • 61,802 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    I was auto enrolled by my previous employer when this government pension scheme first started a few years ago,
    It isnt a government pension scheme. The Govt set the rules. The pensions are not the Govt (unless you happen to work in the public sector). NEST is pension provider generally dealing with the smallest companies at the bottom end of the market. It does seem that, at the moment, the companies focusing on that part of the market are all suffering with poor admin at present. However, some of that is down to employers as well (such as not informing them of leave dates and start dates etc).

If you are not getting what you should be and its not being resolved then make a complaint and follow through to the ombudsman if required.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 11th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    If you are not getting what you should be and its not being resolved then make a complaint and follow through to the ombudsman if required.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    Actually it's one for the Pensions Regulator - they have online forms for reporting where an employer isn't complying with their auto-enrolment duties: http://www.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/individuals/reporting-a-concern.aspx

Understandable that OP calls it a government scheme when NEST has a banner on their homepage saying 'NEST is the workplace pension set up by government'.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 12th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 26,139 Posts
    • 15,496 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    Try here for help

https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 12th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 1,035 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    Why? It's one for the Regulator, using the link given above.
    • squirrelpie
    • By squirrelpie 12th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    squirrelpie
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    Why? It's one for the Regulator, using the link given above.
    Given that the link you gave says: "please consider before doing so.." and then proceeds to give both of the links that xylophone gave to look at first, perhaps that's why.

Daz1a, I don't know what the precise legal situation is (because I'm not in your position) but if I were you I would have a read of the government web pages and see what you understand and then I'd look at the Pension Advisory Service page and contact them to ask just what you should do. They will probably suggest you fill in the pension regulator form https://forms.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/employer-non-compliance-with-workplace-pension-duties/ but can tell you what to write.

You should also probably *write* to your company asking them what pension scheme they offer you and telling them you would like to join a pension scheme. The point is just to have something on record. Again the advisory service can help you with what to write.

Your workmates who are making pension payments but have not had them credited to their pension accounts should fill in the pension regulator form https://forms.thepensionsregulator.gov.uk/missing-workplace-pension-contributions/ as Brynsam suggests. edit: probably the more of them do so, the better.
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,179 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    It isnt a government pension scheme. The Govt set the rules. The pensions are not the Govt (unless you happen to work in the public sector). NEST is pension provider generally dealing with the smallest companies at the bottom end of the market. It does seem that, at the moment, the companies focusing on that part of the market are all suffering with poor admin at present. However, some of that is down to employers as well (such as not informing them of leave dates and start dates etc).

Originally posted by dunstonh
    Just to say I have one with NEST auto-enrolled from a former employer, and another, more recently with my current employer, which is with NOW.

Of the two, I much prefer NEST, its online access is easier, and since I left that employer I have been putting extra into it every month. I check it every couple of weeks and you can see it building up, and they do write to you to confirm things if you change anything, and they send statements, so it seems efficient to me. But then I don't have the complication of an employer being involved in that one any more.

The one with NOW seems very poor, it looks from the payslips like it is just chugging along, but I have no evidence as I haven't heard a peep from them since it started. I've heard from elsewhere that they definitely have admin problems.
    Last edited by Serendipitious; 12-04-2018 at 2:29 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

• Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 12th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 59,556 Posts
    • 52,858 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    Please if anybody could offer any help & advice it would be much appreciated.
    Originally posted by Daz1a
    Speak to you employer. Little point relying on heresay from fellow employees.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

252Posts Today

2,057Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin