Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 11th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    • 964Posts
    • 1,145Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    copies of probate an will
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:39 PM
    copies of probate an will 11th Apr 18 at 7:39 PM
    I swore the oath a couple of weeks ago and sent it back to the probate office about 10 days ago

In the post today I received a envelope wrapped in plastic by Royal Mail as they had opened it to check on the address - seems there was no address on the envelope! I am grateful that they did open it as in there was the grant of probate, 6 certified copies of the grant, one stamped copy of the will and the death cert I sent in.

Royal Mail said to let them know if anything is missing. What I wondered was whether I was supposed to have had more certified / stamped copies of the will i.e. one per copy of the probate - or if they just send the one - does anyone know?
Page 2
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Apr 18, 10:44 PM
    • 10,589 Posts
    • 12,119 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    As.Far.As.I.Know.

The process of probate is, you send them the original will (and three copies, just ordinary ones) and they send you back a copy.

Where it is in statute, i have no idea nor do i care, but good luck trying to argue your case !

I suppose you could lie and say you've lost it which will involve you committing perjury and hold up probate by months

You haven't explained why you think having the original as opposed to a certified copy* would make any difference to your record keeping, indeed its plain it wouldn't and is more likely to cause you issues with HMRC when it becomes clear you arent speaking about the original will but a copy, you having mysteriously lost the original. Who knows what changes you made to the content of the original when you copied it ?

(*again, AFAIK, they send you back one certified copy and you can order others, as indeed can anyone) Though if you have any foresight you'd have had a certified copy made before you sent it off.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Apr 18, 6:53 AM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    AFAIK stands for As Far As I Know. Whatever you may think about the Civil Service the reality is what you have already been told. The Probate Office holds wills in England and Wales. They have an electronicly searchable index of them. Anyone can, for a fee, obtain a certified copy of a will that is embossed with the Probate Office seal. That has EXACTLY the same legal status as the original in any legal proceedings. It therefore follows that you do not need the original. Your worries are groundless.
    • eddyinfreehold
    • By eddyinfreehold 13th Apr 18, 7:08 AM
    • 161 Posts
    • 120 Thanks
    eddyinfreehold
    AFAIK

Thank you.

I wonder where the originals are stored after digitising. The Public Records Office say they don't keep them. Still, thanks everyone for putting me straight.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 13th Apr 18, 8:52 AM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 3,723 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    AFAIK

Thank you.

I wonder where the originals are stored after digitising. The Public Records Office say they don't keep them. Still, thanks everyone for putting me straight.
    Originally posted by eddyinfreehold
    I am not sure but i suspect that PRO may be an outmoded term. www.nationalarchives.gov.uk is, AFAIK, the current term but I could be wrong. This link may help re will locations though all you need is the index to get access to the documents.

https://www.gov.uk/search-will-probate

HTH (Hope This Helps).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

434Posts Today

3,779Users online

Martin's Twitter