Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Willfoy
    • By Willfoy 11th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Willfoy
    Possible scam? UK IT Tech Ltd?
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    Possible scam? UK IT Tech Ltd? 11th Apr 18 at 7:32 PM
    I've just returned home from work to discover my mum has agreed to pay 350 to this company following her being locked out of Outlook multiple times.

The upshot is this company has agreed to support her 'for life' if she ever gets locked out again. (She paid 160 ish last year for the same problem to a different company)

They accessed her tablet remotely and fixed the issue so have technically done the job.

Now we're worried they've done a load of stuff in the background too and ripped her off big time!

She apparently got their details from Microsoft, but I can't see it!?
    Help!
Page 1
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 11th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:35 PM
    oh dear she seems to have been scammed twice
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 11th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 4,421 Posts
    • 1,625 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    Most likely had a virus that was linked to them and got scammed probably was same people last year
    • Willfoy
    • By Willfoy 11th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willfoy
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    So she hasn't paid them but theyve sent an invoice... so we won't pay... but i guess they can cause all manner of issues with her tablet??

Where do we stand legally?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 2,620 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    So she hasn't paid them but theyve sent an invoice... so we won't pay... but i guess they can cause all manner of issues with her tablet??

Where do we stand legally?
    Originally posted by Willfoy
    If they're a legitimate company and she doesn't pay then they'll follow up and pursue her for the money, sending a reminder by mail and a notice demanding payment by mail and you pay the bill or they could take it to court. If they're not a legitimate company and she doesn't pay then they will most likely not contact her again other than to send a speculative email asking for payment.

She needs to change the password to her Microsoft account, she needs to enable two factor authentication so she gets sent a verification code by text to her phone which she will need to enter if she forgets her password.
    • Chino
    • By Chino 11th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Chino
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:57 PM
    oh dear she seems to have been scammed twice
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    Actually this time it appears to be the OP's mother doing the scamming. She contacted a company and contracted it to supply a service. The company supplied the service and submitted an invoice for its work but the OP's mother refuses to pay.
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 11th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    I've just returned home from work to discover my mum has agreed to pay 350 to this company following her being locked out of Outlook multiple times.

The upshot is this company has agreed to support her 'for life' if she ever gets locked out again. (She paid 160 ish last year for the same problem to a different company)

They accessed her tablet remotely and fixed the issue so have technically done the job.

Now we're worried they've done a load of stuff in the background too and ripped her off big time!

She apparently got their details from Microsoft, but I can't see it!?
    Help!
    Sounds like a typical scam unfortunately.

Out of interest when she said she got the details from Microsoft was this Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge via a Google search? I have known people to say that in this case.

So if it is "UK IT TECH LIMITED" this is actually a registered company with two company directors who set it up in Feb 2017. Both directors are around 70 years old, have Indian sounding names and it does not appear to have a VAT number.

The business address is a semi-detached residential property.

What does the Invoice say? Does it mention VAT out of interest?

If they are legitimate and charging that amount of money they should be VAT registered.

Looking at the website associated with, it has various spellings and grammatical issues. It's credit card graphic also includes some US specific ones that we don't generally use in the UK. The domain is registered by Domains by Proxy which effectively anonymises the data. The website itself is hosted in India.

What does appear to be happening these days is that "local" companies are set up in countries to facilitate credit card and other payment transactions on behalf of the Indian scam calling centres. Banks would query transactions if they were made to an Indian company but less likely to do to a UK one.

The charges themselves are ridiculously high for a simple fix and it would be worth mentioning to your local trading standards.

How are they asking for payment?
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 11th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 8,655 Posts
    • 6,535 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    Actually this time it appears to be the OP's mother doing the scamming. She contacted a company and contracted it to supply a service. The company supplied the service and submitted an invoice for its work but the OP's mother refuses to pay.
    Originally posted by Chino
    Get a life, why would anyone agree 350 for a "service" to unlock an outlook email address for a tablet ? Seems to me that the lady found a number on google called them was sucked in.
    Willfoy reset the tablet and set up 2fA on her outlook account and reset the passwords on any of her other accounts
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2,918 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    J B
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:56 PM
    If they are legitimate and charging that amount of money they should be VAT registered.
    Originally posted by ChuckMountain
    That's not strictly true - you don't have to register for vat unless your annual turnover is above 85K

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-maintain-thresholds-for-2-years-from-1-april-2018/vat-maintain-thresholds-for-2-years-from-1-april-2018
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 12th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    >Help!<

Time to talk about you taking financial power of attorney for your mother
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 12th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    That's not strictly true - you don't have to register for vat unless your annual turnover is above 85K

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-maintain-thresholds-for-2-years-from-1-april-2018/vat-maintain-thresholds-for-2-years-from-1-april-2018
    Originally posted by J B
    Sorry I should have been clearer, was assuming they were clearing the VAT threshold of 85k as they would be doing at least one of these per working day.

Unfortunately according to some the average "sales" person on the scam are doing 5 - 6.

So in reality they probably should have a VAT registration, which is again possibly points to a scam and certainly if the are doing over 85k and defrauding the tax man.

To the OP does the invoice state vat and does it have a VAT number (legal requirement) if so you can check to see if it is the same company or not.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Apr 18, 9:02 AM
    • 20,967 Posts
    • 16,749 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You could report it to Action Fraud, if they have had other complaints about the same company it will help them to build a case against them.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/
    • craggybuk
    • By craggybuk 28th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    craggybuk
    This is a scam.

No company would phone you up to tell you you had a virus, etc. For a start, they don't have your phone number and won't even know your name.

Always hang up (unless you want to have a bit of fun with them) but whatever you do, do not give them access to your computer.

I'm an IT manager and have seen so many of these scams. I've just started a Twitter account which will hopefully educate people into the dangers of these scams.

Feel free to follow @TechScammerInfo
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 28th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 20,027 Posts
    • 212,965 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Remove any software she put on the tablet to allow them to remotely access it. It is most likely to be something like Team Viewer, although there is a few others. I may be wrong, but as far as I know there has to be a specific piece of software on it to enable remote access, removing that should lock them out.

There is also Paw Server and Bomgar.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • ChuckMountain
    • By ChuckMountain 28th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    ChuckMountain
    This is a scam.

No company would phone you up to tell you you had a virus, etc. For a start, they don't have your phone number and won't even know your name.
    Originally posted by craggybuk
    Although in this case she rang them.

Still a scamming company though.

Has the OP heard anything more ?
    • Chino
    • By Chino 28th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    Chino
    This is a scam.

Originally posted by craggybuk
    Why didn't you read the original post? If you had, you would have seen that it was the OP's mother that made contact with the company:
    She apparently got their details from Microsoft
    Furthermore, the OP admits that the company resolved the problem:
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

331Posts Today

2,152Users online

Martin's Twitter