Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Endielle
    • By Endielle 11th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Endielle
    GP medical letters
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    GP medical letters 11th Apr 18 at 6:42 PM
    How much are GP surgeries legally allowed to charge for letters you request to prove your medical history for courts? I thought medical letters cost around 15 but today my mother asked her gp to write one as she has been called up for jury service and cannot do it due to her health issues and the courts are demanding proof and the gp wants to charge her 45, which I think is extortionate. It's the courts that want the letter and my mother is an oap and there's not even discount for that. Surely this cost is too high?
Page 1
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 11th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 301 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    keithdc
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    How much are GP surgeries legally allowed to charge for letters you request to prove your medical history for courts? I thought medical letters cost around 15 but today my mother asked her gp to write one as she has been called up for jury service and cannot do it due to her health issues and the courts are demanding proof and the gp wants to charge her 45, which I think is extortionate. It's the courts that want the letter and my mother is an oap and there's not even discount for that. Surely this cost is too high?
    Originally posted by Endielle
    The GP has offered your mother a private service at a price- you are welcome to accept it or identify another doctor to provide that same private service.

Whether the cost should be met by your mother or the court service is for your mother to discuss with the courts.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 8,392 Posts
    • 9,401 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    The GP has to check your mother's records, dictate a letter, get it typed by a secretary, check it and sign it. That will take more than 9 minutes of time, which is what you'd get at the equivalent for a private GP consultation (Bupa charge 70 for a 15 min appointment).

However, a doctor cannot charge for a certificate To establish unfitness for jury service (Juries Act 1974)

Certificates GPs cannot charge for (British Medical Association, updated Feb 2017)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Apr 18, 7:20 AM
    • 20,541 Posts
    • 55,229 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:20 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:20 AM

However, a doctor cannot charge for a certificate To establish unfitness for jury service (Juries Act 1974)

Certificates GPs cannot charge for (British Medical Association, updated Feb 2017)
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Fab bit of research.
    • Cyclizine
    • By Cyclizine 12th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Cyclizine
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:53 PM
    It's not your mother who should contact the GP - Your mother should inform the clerk of the court / court officer that she isn't medically fit. They may then contact the GP or may accept your mother's word. She would not have to pay for this. Simply going to the GP an requesting a letter will be treated as a private service like any other and charged for appropriately.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

7,028Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin