Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BigAl94
    • By BigAl94 11th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,708Posts
    • 955Thanks
    BigAl94
    House Insurance
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    House Insurance 11th Apr 18 at 6:25 PM
    This is a very unfortunate story about a family that have had tragedy at their door before, https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/lisa-dorrians-family-home-destroyed-14518265
    They had no buildings insurance in place at the time of the fire. So many times I see reports such as this, there was another one in Bangor recently.
    In the grand scale of things if you own a property, buildings insurance is not that expensive if you shop around and use comparison sites such as this one. Around £4/5 per week would cover an average house in NI.
    Please make sure you have cover!
Page 1
    • Old Git
    • By Old Git 12th Apr 18, 6:21 AM
    • 4,322 Posts
    • 3,752 Thanks
    Old Git
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:21 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:21 AM
    a few smoke alarms would help as well .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 12th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 2,575 Posts
    • 1,618 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    This is a very unfortunate story about a family that have had tragedy at their door before, https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/lisa-dorrians-family-home-destroyed-14518265
    They had no buildings insurance in place at the time of the fire. So many times I see reports such as this, there was another one in Bangor recently.
    In the grand scale of things if you own a property, buildings insurance is not that expensive if you shop around and use comparison sites such as this one. Around £4/5 per week would cover an average house in NI.
    Please make sure you have cover!
    Originally posted by BigAl94
    I spent £300 on insurance a few years ago. Then the house burnt down and cost £55,000 to repair. Worth paying.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • guiriman
    • By guiriman 12th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    guiriman
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:06 PM
    I had none for about 10 years, saved me circa £2k and never needed it. Now I have it, a bit older and wiser (but hoping still lucky and won't need it).

First thing we got done when we moved was to upgrade the electric panel to the latest standards with hard-wired smoke detectors
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 12th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,575 Posts
    • 1,618 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    I had none for about 10 years, saved me circa £2k and never needed it. Now I have it, a bit older and wiser (but hoping still lucky and won't need it).

First thing we got done when we moved was to upgrade the electric panel to the latest standards with hard-wired smoke detectors
    Originally posted by guiriman
    I’ve been told the risk of house fire per house is approximately once every 900 years. Which, looked at another way, means 0.11% of houses burn down every year.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
    • Coolhandluke
    • By Coolhandluke 12th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 580 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Coolhandluke
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    Always a few money back deals in the form of Amazon or M&S vouchers so check those out and don't auto renew come renewal time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,478Posts Today

6,567Users online

Martin's Twitter