Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kev27
    • By Kev27 11th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    • 360Posts
    • 240Thanks
    Kev27
    Very catalogue Customer died
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:23 PM
    Very catalogue Customer died 11th Apr 18 at 6:23 PM
    Hi i paid my Uncle cash for a fridge/freezer that was on offer from Very as he had debts to pay and needed the cash, and he was gonna pay it off monthly.

Sadly my uncle has recently passed away suddenly and within a couple of weeks of me recieving the fridge/freezer.

He had no savings or anything of worth and never owned his bedsit.

Very have my mobile number and address due to the fridge being delivered to me.

Does anyone know where i stand regarding the fridge/freezer and will i have to send it back to Very or pay for it again even tho i have paid my uncle cash for it?

Thanks for any advice
Page 1
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 11th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    Surely Very should only pursue an account holder for a debt.... or in this case an estate?

Just because it was delivered to your address doesn't mean your responsible for his account. It could have been a gift or anything.

Pass the info on to the person dealing with his affairs so they can notify them along with any other debtors.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 14,021 Posts
    • 13,279 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:02 PM
    Your uncles debts will die with him.

It is nothing to do with you or anyone else.

If enough is left in his estate they will have to apply to it for payment, if there isnt, then they get nothing.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Kev27
    • By Kev27 12th Apr 18, 1:31 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Kev27
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:31 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:31 AM
    Thank you for your replies. That has put my mind at ease as i would be upset if i had to send the fridge back, and i certainly don't have the money to pay for it twice. I will update you on the outcome when we have called Very in the next few days. Thanks again.
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 12th Apr 18, 6:20 AM
    • 12,242 Posts
    • 9,277 Thanks
    fatbelly
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:20 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:20 AM
    It's not your responsibility to contact Very. If your uncle was the account holder then his personal representative (executor) must do it. If that's not you, leave it alone.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Apr 18, 7:58 AM
    • 9,401 Posts
    • 10,384 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:58 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:58 AM
    Agreed, unless you are the executor for the estate don't get involved. Should Very contact you, tell them he has died and who the executor is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,308Posts Today

7,444Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin