Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Norma B
    • By Norma B 11th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Norma B
    why should I be worse off?
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    why should I be worse off? 11th Apr 18 at 5:48 PM
    I was sitting in stationary traffic minding my own business when a woman behind me slammed into my car and shunted me into a big van in front. Police were called because the road was blocked and paramedics came for me cos I was battered and bruised. The woman admitted straight away that she thought we'd started moving and rushed to catch up, she told the police and her insurance that it was her fault and there were several witnesses to that effect. It transpired that we were both with the same insurance company.
    The insurance people appointed a garage to do my repairs but they finally came 4 days later, took one look at it (and dozens of photos!) and declared it a total loss - well I had been the filling in a 3 vehicle sandwich and my shunt into the van wrote THAT off - that's how hard she hit me!. Apparently this meant I wasn't entitled to a courtesy car altho' her insurers (ie mine too) finally said they'd pay for a hire car for me.
    My car was 13 months old with 15k miles on the clock. Today they offered me 9100 but I can't find a like for like car at that price - I found one a couple of hundred miles from me that was 10200 with just over 10000 on the clock so when I asked the insurer if they'd up what they offered to a bit closer to that, the guy I spoke to said he'd found one at 9500 with about 12000 on the clock so I'd be coming out with a better deal (which I shouldn't expect presumably). The garage selling it is over 400 miles from where I live and I HAD seen it and contacted them but they said I'd have to go to them.
    My basic question is I am I being unreasonable? I just got told by a dealer that they would have given me 8500 as a trade in price for my car prior to it (and me) getting squished. I am black and blue with 'classic seat belt injuries' according to my doctor, have had a 4 day headache and am in pain when I move in certain ways, cough or even hiccup but, surprisingly, don't seem to have whiplash and people keep telling me to go for personal injuries but I really don't want to do that.

I'd welcome other people's thoughts on this
    Last edited by Norma B; 11-04-2018 at 8:02 PM. Reason: wrote was instead of wasn't thus changing meaning completely
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 11th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 474 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    Injuries are irrelevant to your vehicle cost / payout.

You are entitled to a like for like car. So they will base their value on the condition of your car, as well as mileage etc and you're entitled to a vehicle the same.

400 miles is too far - unless the insurer is also willing to pay your travel costs to get the car (which you can claim as an uninsured loss).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin