Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • simfield
    • By simfield 11th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    simfield
    ISA contributions for UK employee living abroad
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:12 PM
    ISA contributions for UK employee living abroad 11th Apr 18 at 5:12 PM
    Hi there,

I am a UK employee, currently living in the UK, so definitely a resident and eligible for ISA contributions.

However, since my job is computer-based and I can work from anywhere in the world, as long as there is internet, I want to move abroad permanently.

My question is: Given the fact that my employer and employment is UK based (and I will be paying all applicable taxes as everybody else), can I still make ISA contributions despite the fact that I will be living abroad for most of the time (let's say 11 months)? Also, I am an EU national.

I feel like, I should be able to, but I am wondering if anyone has more input on that

Thanks
    Last edited by simfield; 11-04-2018 at 5:22 PM.
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 12th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3,853 Posts
    • 3,154 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    You would need to be a UK resident for tax purposes:

https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/residence

https://www.gov.uk/individual-savings-accounts/if-you-move-abroad-or-die

Also if you become a resident of another country then they are unlikely to consider your existing ISA as tax free under their rules.

Alex
    Last edited by Alexland; 12-04-2018 at 9:39 AM.
    • simfield
    • By simfield 12th Apr 18, 12:02 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    simfield
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:02 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:02 PM
    Thanks for the links and your advice Alexland,

I guess, what confuses me is the fact that I am paying taxes in the UK and I will continue doing so while living in other countries (so I should be able to benefit from ISA allowances). There should be an option for people who work remotely but may be there isn't.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 16,355 Posts
    • 23,238 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    Thanks for the links and your advice Alexland,

I guess, what confuses me is the fact that I am paying taxes in the UK and I will continue doing so while living in other countries (so I should be able to benefit from ISA allowances). There should be an option for people who work remotely but may be there isn't.
    Originally posted by simfield
    No. I believe that if you move abroad you will become a non-resident and no UK tax will be due.

This seems to confirm my belief.
    https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/working-for-a-uk-company-while-living-abroad

As always, you should take proper advice. At least speak to your company payroll.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 12th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 3,853 Posts
    • 3,154 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:20 PM
    Yes even if you work for a UK employer they would eventually see you as an overseas worker and you would be subject to your local tax regime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,265Posts Today

7,108Users online

Martin's Twitter