Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • strawberry*
    • By strawberry* 11th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    strawberry*
    Connecting flight query
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    Connecting flight query 11th Apr 18 at 4:34 PM
    Hi all

My partner and I recently flew with Qatar Airways, from London Heathrow to Colombo (Sri Lanka). Our first flight from LHR to Doha landed on time, but our second flight was delayed arriving in Colombo around 3.5 hours.

As we bought these two flights on one ticket, with one booking reference, I had assumed that this would be covered under EC261 (although Qatar is not an EU carrier, we were departing originally from LHR). I thought I had seen a case where this siutation had been fought and won but annoyingly I can't locate it now. I made my claim using Resolver. Qatar have now come back to me to say we are not covered as Doha and Colombo are both outside of the EU, and they are not an EU carrier.

Interested in your thoughts...
Page 2
    • JPears
    • By JPears 12th Apr 18, 9:37 PM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    Ah but the arguement would be that the passeneger booked the flight with a certain airline, presumably Emirates?
    If so the laibaility should possibly lie with the airline that booked the journey?
    However I would suggest that your hypothetical journey maybe pushing the envelope on what could be booked as a single flight? Unless you have been on Emirates and looked at the porposed journey as a definitive proposal?
    Regardless, as has been pointed out over many decades, in many aspects of life (and certainly in my profession), when it comes to terms and conditions, legal judgements etc, its not what the autheor/judge intended or intoned by the written statement, its whats actually down in black and white text that is the defining aspect.
    I'm not playing devil's advocate or wishing to argue/get people's backs up here but regard this as a useful discussion.
    Last edited by JPears; 12-04-2018 at 9:40 PM.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • zorber
    • By zorber 13th Apr 18, 1:20 AM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    zorber
    LOL This is interesting. I have read this in both contexts in the past 12 months.
    I flew from Heathrow last year with Delta on a connecting Delta flight via Atlanta to Orlando, first flight was near enough on time, second connecting flight ended up being cancelled. now i complained many times and Delta interpreted the ruling as a non EU carrier departing from a non EU airport so no compensation apart from some worthless money off next flight vouchers which i will never use.

I also read the ruling as as one ticket all the way to Orlando but they wouldnt pay up, with no similar claims in court rulings i have put this on the back burner.

Interestingly though i claimed for 2 parties on the same plane, i managed to get them to payout for the other party of 3 people but they wouldnt payout for the main party of 7 people. when i complained the said it was paid accidentally.

Im now reading this with interest again.
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 13th Apr 18, 8:05 AM
    • 11,179 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    Caz3121
    However I would suggest that your hypothetical journey maybe pushing the envelope on what could be booked as a single flight? Unless you have been on Emirates and looked at the porposed journey as a definitive proposal?
    Originally posted by JPears
    It is a real journey (available to book through Qantas or Emirates) chosen to add to the discussion
    The question remains "who is liable"
    In this situation the "airline who booked the journey" could well be Qantas although none of the flights are on Qantas metal
    • slinga
    • By slinga 13th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,135 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    slinga
    How does a Schengen country come into this.

Transitting in Zurich we moved from landing in Schengen to flying out from not Schengen. How that came about I don't know.

No problems with delays but I wondered what the answer might be if there was a delay.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • JPears
    • By JPears 13th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    It is a real journey (available to book through Qantas or Emirates) chosen to add to the discussion
    The question remains "who is liable"
    In this situation the "airline who booked the journey" could well be Qantas although none of the flights are on Qantas metal
    Originally posted by Caz3121
    A conundrum indeed!
    perhaps if Coby still reads this forum he might give us Bott's view?

• JPears
    • By JPears 13th Apr 18, 10:50 AM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    LOL This is interesting. I have read this in both contexts in the past 12 months.
    I flew from Heathrow last year with Delta on a connecting Delta flight via Atlanta to Orlando, first flight was near enough on time, second connecting flight ended up being cancelled. now i complained many times and Delta interpreted the ruling as a non EU carrier departing from a non EU airport so no compensation apart from some worthless money off next flight vouchers which i will never use.

I also read the ruling as as one ticket all the way to Orlando but they wouldnt pay up, with no similar claims in court rulings i have put this on the back burner.

Interestingly though i claimed for 2 parties on the same plane, i managed to get them to payout for the other party of 3 people but they wouldnt payout for the main party of 7 people. when i complained the said it was paid accidentally.

Im now reading this with interest again.
    Originally posted by zorber
    Have you tried putting your flight/delay details into an online checker such as Botts?

• strawberry*
    • By strawberry* 20th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    strawberry*
    Update
    Hi everyone

Thought I would update you as you helped me. I went back to Qatar following their initial refusal to engage with compensation, quoting the emirates case and stating my argument that my two flights were considered one journey departing from London. Within two days I received an offer of 600eu (our delay was 3.5hours) and it has been received into my bank account this morning.

Many thanks for your help with this :-)
    • JPears
    • By JPears 20th Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 3,662 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    JPears
    Well done.
    Hopefully Emirates have lost the will to fight any further cases and have interpreted the CoA judgement as some of us seem to think.
    Of course many other passengers will be missing out on compensation as they are not aware of the regualtions (and that Emirates should inform them of such...)
    Last edited by JPears; 20-04-2018 at 1:42 PM.

• Tyzap
    • By Tyzap 20th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 1,376 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    Tyzap
    Hi everyone

Thought I would update you as you helped me. I went back to Qatar following their initial refusal to engage with compensation, quoting the emirates case and stating my argument that my two flights were considered one journey departing from London. Within two days I received an offer of 600eu (our delay was 3.5hours) and it has been received into my bank account this morning.

Many thanks for your help with this :-)
    Originally posted by strawberry*
    Hi strawberry,

Good result.

Did they offer you 600 each or all together?
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
    • zorber
    • By zorber 24th Apr 18, 11:57 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    zorber
    Sorry for the delay, im going through a separation process at the minute so i am having to pick my battles and research time carefully.
    Yes both Botts and EUClaim suggested i have a case.
    Reading the last email that Delta sent me they gave details of their dispute resolution provider AviationADR, I guess i should write to them before proceeding with Botts?
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 25th Apr 18, 12:08 PM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 2,071 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Reading the last email that Delta sent me they gave details of their dispute resolution provider AviationADR, I guess i should write to them before proceeding with Botts?
    Originally posted by zorber
    You don't have to but unless you are keen for a speedy resolution there is nothing lost by doing so. Filing a complaint with AviationADR is free-of-charge but don't expect a decision in less than 4-5 months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

803Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin