Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Teatree
    • By Teatree 11th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Teatree
    how long before paid off debt is removed from credit file
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    how long before paid off debt is removed from credit file 11th Apr 18 at 4:16 PM
    I have outstanding mortgage arrears due to selling at a shortfall. It's 11,000. The company have contacted me offering to settle the debt for 3000. I don't have any savings or 'assets', I'm retired and living in a rental home now.
    I have been trying to find somewhere cheaper to live but keep on being refused when the credit check is done and I'm wondering if this is the reason why.
    My family say they may be able to help me with this, but before comitting, I'd like to know if, after paying it off, will it stay on my credit file ? if so for how long ? and will it still be taken into account even though it will have been paid off.
    When applying for a property, credit checks cost a lot of money and I can't keep paying for them.
    I checked my own rating with Experian online, and I was 991 out of 999, now if that's true, I must be a good bet ! not a bad one.
    Any advice/comments please ?
    Thank you in advance.
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 16,431 Posts
    • 17,491 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:31 PM
    The balance would be updated in the next month's report.

The arrears would show for 6 years.

You're not a good bet, because you have mortgage arrears. Unfortunately your credit score is a made up number provided by a company that doesn't lend money.

That's why the credit scores are not seen or used by anyone else.
    • Teatree
    • By Teatree 11th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Teatree
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:36 PM
    Does that mean that even though it would be paid off, it would still appear that I had arrears in a credit search ?
    Last edited by Teatree; 11-04-2018 at 4:43 PM.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 11th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 838 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    Yes that is what it means.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • National Debtline
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    Hi Teatree

If a default has been registered for this debt, it will be removed from your credit file 6 years after the date of the default. That is regardless of how you choose to deal with it now. If no default has been registered, the debt will be removed 6 years after the date the account is closed.

If you make a full & final settlement on the debt the account will be closed, your credit file will show the debt as partially satisfied and a zero balance outstanding.

Also bear in mind when landlords and letting agents carry out a credit check, they only have access to public information, such as if you've had any CCJs or been made bankrupt in the last 6 years. I hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 12th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 597 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    Hi Teatree

If a default has been registered for this debt, it will be removed from your credit file 6 years after the date of the default. That is regardless of how you choose to deal with it now. If no default has been registered, the debt will be removed 6 years after the date the account is closed.

If you make a full & final settlement on the debt the account will be closed, your credit file will show the debt as partially satisfied and a zero balance outstanding.

Also bear in mind when landlords and letting agents carry out a credit check, they only have access to public information, such as if you've had any CCJs or been made bankrupt in the last 6 years. I hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    Originally posted by National Debtline
    Does that apply to mortgage arrears?
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • National Debtline
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    Does that apply to mortgage arrears?
    Originally posted by cjmillsnun

Hi cjmillsnun

The OP states they have mortgage arrears due to selling at a shortfall. It's not clear whether they were already in arrears at the point the house was sold, or they were up to date but they have a debt because the property did not sell at a high enough price to cover all of the mortgage.

If mortgage arrears did exist prior to the sale then these should have been recorded on the credit file, and it is likely a default would have been registered. In some cases a mortgage shortfall debt will be recorded as well. The OP will need to check their credit file with all 3 agencies to see exactly what is showing.

It would also be worth them questioning why they have been declined tenancies to get a better understanding of the situation.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,020Posts Today

8,705Users online

Martin's Twitter