Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sam_r2d2
    • By sam_r2d2 11th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 17Thanks
    sam_r2d2
    Two orders placed 1 cancelled, both delivered!
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:20 PM
    Two orders placed 1 cancelled, both delivered! 11th Apr 18 at 3:20 PM
    I would be very grateful for any advice on this rather interesting situation!

I placed an online order for a mirror on 25th March for 350. Delivery time was estimated to be up to a month

2 Days later the website had a sale where the same mirror was 280. I rang customer services and asked if they would be able to honour the new lower price. I was told they would have to speak to their manager and they would call me back in 48 hours.

This didnt happen so on the 29th I placed a new order, in my wifes name. I emailed them and asked to cancel the original order. They replied stating that I had forgotten to add the order number number and that once I supplied them with that they could cancel the order, so I replied with the order number.

I didnt receive a confirmation so on the 4th April I emailed again asking if the order had been cancelled. I received a reply on the 4th saying that it has been passed on to customer services manager and will be actioned within the next 48 hours and then 3-5 days for money to be back in account.

At 17.55 on 9th April I receive a dispatch email for both orders. The one in my wifes name turns up yesterday no problem, this is the order I want. I tried to ring them yesterday to ask about the 2nd mirror that should have been cancelled but received no answer after trying several times.

I managed to get through to them this morning and the manager was extremely rude she ignored the fact that I had requested cancellation and basically said she wasnt copied in on those emails so she couldnt cancel it and tough luck I will have to pay to have it sent back. I refused delivery when the courier arrived this afternoon.

However, it appears they have swapped the tracking numbers on the 2 orders and attached my wifes name to the expensive order and my name to the discounted one, even though it should have been the other way around. This is all clear in the original order emails!
    So, they are stating that I have signed for the 350 order and sent back the 280 one, although it is due to their error (I suspect it was not an error and a calculated move!)

My question is basically what steps can I take to ensure the refund is for 350 and not 280 Is it better to pursue the fact that they should have cancelled the other order in the first place or that they have swapped the names on the parcel tracking service, essentially tricking me/claiming that I have signed for the wrong one

Thank you for any help
Page 1
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 11th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    The items are the same - doesn't matter which one is the "more expensive".

You have both items - they sent one of them in error. Contact them and ask them to collect the incorrect item and refund your 350.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 16,370 Posts
    • 17,412 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:19 PM
    I suspect it was not an error and a calculated move!
    Originally posted by sam_r2d2
    It will have been an error, not a calculated move.
    • sam_r2d2
    • By sam_r2d2 11th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    sam_r2d2
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:34 PM
    The items are the same - doesn't matter which one is the "more expensive".

You have both items - they sent one of them in error. Contact them and ask them to collect the incorrect item and refund your 350.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    Thanks for your reply - I don't have both, i spoke to the courier when he arrived today with the 2nd one and rejected the delivery.

My concern is that due to their error with the delivery label that they will claim that i have accepted the 350 parcel and rejected/sent back the 280 one, so i wondered if there was any advice on that type of error to make sure i get the 350 back
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 11th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    Thanks for your reply - I don't have both, i spoke to the courier when he arrived today with the 2nd one and rejected the delivery.

My concern is that due to their error with the delivery label that they will claim that i have accepted the 350 parcel and rejected/sent back the 280 one, so i wondered if there was any advice on that type of error to make sure i get the 350 back
    But you asked to cancel the 350. If they labelled them incorrectly and you accidentally sent back the 280 one, they need to re-send that and collect the 350 one.

Or they could let you keep the one you've got and just refund your 350.

Either way, if you gave them plenty of notice that you wanted to cancel the order and they still sent it, you should get your money back. At the very worst (circumstances dependent) you might lose the P&P costs and have to pay for the return postage.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 12,155 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:20 PM

Well from what you've said, you emailed them your cancellation including order number, so that would be pretty conclusive that you cancelled the more expensive order, no?

ETA: what do their terms say about when a contract is formed? With any luck, they will say its formed on dispatch. Which means they could never accept your offer of 350 because you withdrew it before they could do so and made a new offer of 280 (legality is a bit more complex than that, but thats the "in a nutshell" version).
    Last edited by unholyangel; 11-04-2018 at 9:22 PM.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • sam_r2d2
    • By sam_r2d2 12th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    sam_r2d2
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    Well from what you've said, you emailed them your cancellation including order number, so that would be pretty conclusive that you cancelled the more expensive order, no?

ETA: what do their terms say about when a contract is formed? With any luck, they will say its formed on dispatch. Which means they could never accept your offer of 350 because you withdrew it before they could do so and made a new offer of 280 (legality is a bit more complex than that, but thats the "in a nutshell" version).
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Their terms don't say anything about when a contract is formed. I have saved a copy of them in case it goes further

I have emailed them this morning clarifying that it is the more expensive order that should be cancelled, however after the way the customer services manager spoke to me yesterday regarding a minor error on their part i suspect this won't be the end of it!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 12,145 Posts
    • 8,215 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 1:45 PM
    What is the name of the company, I am sure one of the regulars to this forum will find the t&c about contract formation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,497Posts Today

7,423Users online

Martin's Twitter