Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dithedancer
    • By dithedancer 11th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    • 220Posts
    • 82Thanks
    dithedancer
    What is my rights on upvc door order.
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    What is my rights on upvc door order. 11th Apr 18 at 3:14 PM
    I had a problem with my lock sticking and called out a glazing company to give me a quote. They looked at it and quoted me 336 for a new lock with fitting but if I ordered a new door it would it would only be 150 more which seemed at the time more practical so I signed the order. A couple of days later I phoned a locksmith who told me that the price for the lock was excessive and the need for a new door was unnecessary so I phoned the company right away to cancel. Obviously they weren't happy and told me that I would till be billed because the door had already been made. I phoned trading standards who told me that I should have a 14 days cooling off period and to write to them telling them this which I did right away.Will this be the end of the matter or will I be billed for material and man hours making the door which was a standard upvc fit.
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 11th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 7,240 Posts
    • 6,770 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    Where did you sign the order?
    In your house or on the seller's premises?

Did you sign anything explicitly allowing the seller to start work immediately?
    Did the document you signed clearly say that be allowing them to start work immediately your would be waiving your cancellation rights?

Time to read that document you signed methinks.
    • dithedancer
    • By dithedancer 11th Apr 18, 4:22 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    dithedancer
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:22 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:22 PM
    It was an invoice I signed on the doorstep. Nothing was explained to me regarding if I needed to cancel. Nothing on the invoice either. If I need to pay well so be it, but I think I was misquoted and also in a state because I darn't lock my door.
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 11th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 15,275 Posts
    • 13,790 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:20 PM
    335 for a new lock??? Was it diamond encrusted???
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin