Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maxine1010
    • By maxine1010 11th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    maxine1010
    Mothercare Franchise Issue
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:09 PM
    Mothercare Franchise Issue 11th Apr 18 at 3:09 PM
    Hi,

I am looking for advice. My parents purchased a gift from Mothercare in Gibralter. They specifically asked at the point of purchase if it could be returned in stores in mainland UK and the store assistant said yes.

I have since tried to return the item (dresses, too small) in my local store only to be informed this was not possible. I have had correspondence with Mothercare Customer Services who have stated the Gibralter Mothercare store is a franchise and so they have no responsibility or liability in this instance.

Is this correct? Is there anything I can do? It is extremely frustrating as there is nothing in the Mothercare branding or on the items/ receipt to suggest the Gibralter store is any different to anywhere else. Surely the Mothercare Customer Services team should cover all Mothercare issues irrespective of where purchased?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    • 10,601 Posts
    • 8,823 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    You have no right to a refund

1. Because your parents purchased the items not you. So only they would be entitled to any refund under UK consumer law.

2. Unless Mothercare have a policy for "change of mind" or "wrong size" returns, there is no right of refund.

If Mothercare say the Gibraltar store is a franchise and this is correct, then there is probably no direct financial involvement between the UK and Gib operations.
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 11th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 1,631 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    Return the items to your Mother in Gib. for her to sort out the issue as she is the actual customer.
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 11th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 3,525 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:20 PM
    Return the items to your Mother in Gib. for her to sort out the issue as she is the actual customer.
    Originally posted by foxtrotoscar

And given some of the recent 'whispers' do it quickly
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 11th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 35,944 Posts
    • 46,294 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    I would probably just try selling them on.
    As you didnt pay forvthem you have no monetary loss.
    Little white lie to parents saying you got a bit more than you did wont harm
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,821Users online

Martin's Twitter