Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ruralrelic
    • By ruralrelic 11th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ruralrelic
    End of life policy for Chromebooks
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    End of life policy for Chromebooks 11th Apr 18 at 3:03 PM
    Your Chromebook (device) will cease to function properly five years from the date of manufacture.
    For further information search Chromebook end of life policy

It is underhand that manufacturers and retailers do not advise you that chrome devices have just a 5-year lifespan, and that is from the date of manufacture not the date you purchased the item.

We have several chromebooks in our family, the oldest is a Samsung purchased in March 2012. Last few days we received notices from Google re end of life policy, and now to all intense and purposes that chromebook has died!

Retailers should be obligated to inform perspective customers of the Google end of life policy for Chromebooks
    Last edited by ruralrelic; 12-04-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 20,143 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    It's not an 'end of life', it's an 'end of auto updates' policy. And it's now 6.5 years. Your Chromebook will carry on working even after this. Read this

https://chromeunboxed.com/googles-end-of-life-policy-for-chromebooks-gets-updated/
    • ruralrelic
    • By ruralrelic 11th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ruralrelic
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    Many thanks for your reply and link.
    Yes, I do understand this clarification.
    However, the Chromebook in question has always functioned without fault.
    Following the 'end of updates' notice from Google , it ceased to function, even after a power wash to restore the original factory settings.
    My post is therefore just my observation, the notice arrived from Google and the Chromebook has now ceased to function..
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 11th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    stragglebod
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    Following the 'end of updates' notice from Google , it ceased to function, even after a power wash to restore the original factory settings.
    Originally posted by ruralrelic
    No, following whatever it was that caused it to stop functioning, it ceased to function.

Your observation is simply wrong.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 11th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    No, following whatever it was that caused it to stop functioning, it ceased to function.

Your observation is simply wrong.
    Originally posted by stragglebod
    No .. OP's observation is merely a comment based on their experience. Perhaps the Chromebook failing was coincidental with the EOL notice, but perhaps it wasn't - none of us here can know for sure. None of this makes the OP's observation wrong.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 20,143 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:31 AM
    No .. OP's observation is merely a comment based on their experience. Perhaps the Chromebook failing was coincidental with the EOL notice, but perhaps it wasn't - none of us here can know for sure. None of this makes the OP's observation wrong.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Are you suggesting that Google are including something in their notices that causes a Chromebook to stop working? Seems a bit far fetched to me.
    • ruralrelic
    • By ruralrelic 12th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ruralrelic
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    Thank you DoaM for your correct and reasoned reply.

Response to 'agrinnall,
    'No, I am not suggesting anything of the kind, merely making an observation that may be of interest to other Chromebook users.
    As suggested it may be a coincidence that this particular Chromebook has ceased to function after receiving the Google policy notice

My main point is that it would be appropriate to be informed of the .'end of updates' policy at the time of purchase, and certainly for prospective purchasers to know this policy will be introduced by Google on a set date from the time of manufacture, not purchase ( In my case 5 years).
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 20,143 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:42 AM

Response to 'agrinnall,
    'No, I am not suggesting anything of the kind, merely making an observation that may be of interest to other Chromebook users.
    As suggested it may be a coincidence that this particular Chromebook has ceased to function after receiving the Google policy notice
    I never said that you did, it was in response to DoaM's post.

My main point is that it would be appropriate to be informed of the .'end of updates' policy at the time of purchase, and certainly for prospective purchasers to know this policy will be introduced by Google on a set date from the time of manufacture, not purchase ( In my case 5 years).
    Perhaps Google didn't know 5 years ago when they would cease to issue updates. As far as I'm aware Microsoft didn't tell users of their Operating Systems (up to Win 10) when they will stop updating them at the time the OS was released, only at a later date.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:54 PM
    Are you suggesting that Google are including something in their notices that causes a Chromebook to stop working? Seems a bit far fetched to me.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    No I'm not suggesting that they ARE doing this. I'm also not suggesting that they AREN'T doing this ... none of us can know for sure.

Wasn't that clear from my previous post?
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 12th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 4,330 Thanks
    DoaM
    As far as I'm aware Microsoft didn't tell users of their Operating Systems (up to Win 10) when they will stop updating them at the time the OS was released, only at a later date.
    MS have well-published support cycles and the information comes out quite quickly after the OS version has its full release. In OP's case the model of Chromebook was already well-established (months or even years prior to OP's purchase, not days or weeks) so why wasn't the EOL support notified much earlier? That's OP's complaint.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • maisie cat
    • By maisie cat 12th Apr 18, 1:03 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    maisie cat
    I'm not the paranoid type, but it would not surprise me in the least. Building products with a long repairable lifespan is not in the interests of a non social business.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Apr 18, 2:18 PM
    • 20,143 Posts
    • 15,870 Thanks
    agrinnall
    In OP's case the model of Chromebook was already well-established (months or even years prior to OP's purchase, not days or weeks)..
    Originally posted by DoaM
    Was it? According to Wikipedia the first Chromebooks went on sale in June 2011, so the OP's oldest one was only bought 9 months after that. While that is indeed 'months', don't you think it's feasible that an end of updates cycle hadn't been decided on that close to initial launch?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 12th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 2,064 Thanks
    Tarambor
    We have several chromebooks in our family, the oldest is a Samsung purchased in March 2012. Last few days we received notices from Google re end of life policy, and now to all intense and purposes that chromebook has died!
    Has it? So it doesn't turn on, you can't go online, you can't use it? Or is it a case that you can but it's just not going to get any more updates?

Stuff breaks, the Chromebook dying was coincidental. Nobody anywhere on the internet has reported Chromebooks having a kill switch. 5 years for a budget laptop is quite good going so you've done well if its survived that long.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

452Posts Today

5,531Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin