Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 11th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 99Thanks
    I am spartacus
    A pint, thatís nearly an armful!
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    A pint, thatís nearly an armful! 11th Apr 18 at 3:00 PM
    Hi,
    Donít know if this is the right thread to post on, but Iím sure one of the lovely site moderators will move it if itís not!

Just done my ďgood deadĒ for the day, as per thread title and donated some of my ďClaretĒ

Really just a ďheads upĒ to all of the site users, the NHS always could do with more willing victims!

If you have not given before just visit the web site:-
    https://www.blood.co.uk/
    Check if you are eligible, and give it a try!

As a confirmed needle phobic myself, my advice unless you are a masochist donít look at the needle.

Also as the words of wisdom state, you never know if you or your loved ones might one day be in desperate need of a blood transfusion.

Itís good to give, to paraphrase a JFK quote ďAnd so, my fellow Britainís: ask not what your NHS can do for you; ask what you can do for your NHSĒ

And donít forget you get free tea and biscuits afterwards, Iíve been donating many years now, but I missed out on the Guinness they used to dish out to blood donators!

Take Care, Spartacus.
    I am, therefore I think.

Page 3
    • panagia
    • By panagia 13th Apr 18, 8:04 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    panagia
    I donated 10 times but they said not to bother coming back as my blood type wasn't worth the effort. Story of my life . . .
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    My blood type is only compatible with a couple of percent of the population. They would rather have the high compatibility types like Type 'O'.
    There was an interesting documentary on the radio a while ago, I can't remember what it was called now, but basically someone had a really really rare blood type, as in, only a handful of people in the world have this blood type. (Rhesus null I think it was). If someone else with that blood group urgently needed blood they phoned him and he donated there and then and the blood was sent by courier to the recipient!
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 7,982 Posts
    • 24,052 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I can only donate to someone on the same anticonvulsants as me, as well as blood type, so they have declined my blood.

Instead I go around encouraging others to donate by offering to buy the first pint after they've donated. (Hits you harder, I'm told.) It got to the stage where tutors would see me grinning from the door & ask who to expect next week?
    I'd cook up a tank of meaty stew for the hungry, shepherd the lambs to the medics, (& walk them back if they wanted) & make their excuses to their tutors, then stand the first round at the union bar that night. All good clean fun & if I can't donate, I sure can recruit!
    • barbiedoll
    • By barbiedoll 13th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    • 4,900 Posts
    • 13,453 Thanks
    barbiedoll
    Quick question folks - do they check your weight or do they take your word for it?
    I used to donate years ago but had to stop when they upped the lower weight limit. I'm now closer to it than I was but still too small although perfectly healthy.
    Worth going along anyway, do you think? I average 7 10 and they want you to be 7 12 apparently.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Iíve never had my weight checked and although Iím around 8st now, I have donated when I was probably a tiny bit under the weight limit.

I didnít suffer any ill effects but I did feel absolutely knackered after donating one morning then going off to work afterwards. I now book a late afternoon appointment and use it as an excuse to loaf around for the rest of the day!
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
    • Biker*Chick
    • By Biker*Chick 13th Apr 18, 11:48 PM
    • 9,703 Posts
    • 1,116,292 Thanks
    Biker*Chick
    Nothing wrong with feeling good about it if thats all it is its the wider meaning behind feeling good about it as if it ticks a box.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    I think you're infering to people's motives to donate blood. Obviously, I can only speak from my experience and, for me, it wasn't a 'tick box' exercise.

As I said, it had been on my mind for quite a while and it was probably just fear of the unknown that stopped me before. I've got really easy veins (they literally pop up nice and juicy like ) and a fairly high pain threshold so that aspect didn't bother me. However, I was quite concerned that I might lack the necessary iron, being a vegetarian. Thankfully the pin-p rick test at the start showed my iron levels were fine and it all went very smoothly after that point. A bit of waiting around but I'll be far less nervous the next time I go. The booklet they get you to read at the beginning before you donate clearly says that if at any time you decide not to go through with it, at any point, then there is no pressure to stay. The day after I did feel a bit drained and off-colour (not unwell just a bit 'meh') but I was back to normal within 48 hours.

I would never judge anyone who chooses not to give (their reasons are their business) or, in many cases, can't give. However, if just one person reads this thread and it prompts them to consider making a blood donation then surely that's a good thing?
    Contessa Biker*Chick of the Alphabetty thread

=^._.^=
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Apr 18, 11:57 PM
    • 4,568 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    There was an interesting documentary on the radio a while ago, I can't remember what it was called now, but basically someone had a really really rare blood type, as in, only a handful of people in the world have this blood type. (Rhesus null I think it was). If someone else with that blood group urgently needed blood they phoned him and he donated there and then and the blood was sent by courier to the recipient!
    Originally posted by panagia

And that I would do,

And to other people who may assume I am, I give a honest good for you for doing so, what I have a problem with is purely the expectation of giving just because regardless of if it helps someone hence why I would donate out of the kindness of my heart not because its the right thing to do as that would feel fake to me and tick box exercise.

I think back to when I was much younger and on a New Deal course, two army guys came in one day and did a talk and at end of it went around the table and went "why don't you join the army, its a good thing to do" anyone who wasn't keen got a response that basically told them like don't believe the negative press, people in countries they are deployed in love them, how excellent the wages are, then again repeated "why dont you join the army" until the person said they would think about it (until I stopped them in their tracks telling them I thought they were being pushy and one sided, I was last in the line and they instantly shut up)

Like with blood I have respect for people who do it but don't like a situation where if you don't agree you are pushed to change your stance (even subconciously)I was aware how it may come across as agressive but I was trying to be as direct as possible whilst seeming as agressive as little as I could which is hard.
    • Biker*Chick
    • By Biker*Chick 14th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 9,703 Posts
    • 1,116,292 Thanks
    Biker*Chick

Like with blood I have respect for people who do it but don't like a situation where if you don't agree you are pushed to change your stance (even subconciously)I was aware how it may come across as agressive but I was trying to be as direct as possible whilst seeming as agressive as little as I could which is hard.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    I, myself, wasn't 'recruited' in any way to give blood. I totally agree that anyone who is given the 'hard sell' for whatever it is should not feel under ANY pressure to do something they are not comfortable with. If someone had tried to 'persuade' me to give blood then I might well not have done so, who knows! However, I don't think this thread is aimed at putting any pressure on people, it is just a way to share experiences and let people make up their own mind about whether it is for them or not. Awareness-raising is not the same as recruiting IMHO
    Contessa Biker*Chick of the Alphabetty thread

=^._.^=
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 14th Apr 18, 12:11 AM
    • 4,568 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I think you're infering to people's motives to donate blood. Obviously, I can only speak from my experience and, for me, it wasn't a 'tick box' exercise.

As I said, it had been on my mind for quite a while and it was probably just fear of the unknown that stopped me before. I've got really easy veins (they literally pop up nice and juicy like ) and a fairly high pain threshold so that aspect didn't bother me. However, I was quite concerned that I might lack the necessary iron, being a vegetarian. Thankfully the pin-p rick test at the start showed my iron levels were fine and it all went very smoothly after that point. A bit of waiting around but I'll be far less nervous the next time I go. The booklet they get you to read at the beginning before you donate clearly says that if at any time you decide not to go through with it, at any point, then there is no pressure to stay. The day after I did feel a bit drained and off-colour (not unwell just a bit 'meh') but I was back to normal within 48 hours.

I would never judge anyone who chooses not to give (their reasons are their business) or, in many cases, can't give. However, if just one person reads this thread and it prompts them to consider making a blood donation then surely that's a good thing?
    Originally posted by Biker*Chick

Its hard to get my wording out which I assume has rubbed people up the wrong way, as I have said before I don't have a problem with the idea of people giving blood, its the idea that people are expected to on some level because even the responses on here seem to be you should do it just because you can, hence one of the replies being theres so much people can do to change or save someones life why only focus on one specifically especially knowing that much of the general public won't put their money where their mouth is in other situations only one that has been drilled into us to be acceptable.

I don't want to do it for the sole reason to basically be told good for you and patted on the back, I want to help someone with no strings attached even subconciously

One of the above posters proves people get shamed for not donating, I don't even think I can donate with my health issues

Another way to write it is the politics behind donating, it should be a case of someone thinks they can help so donates quick in quick out, if that makes them feel good than fair enough, if they want others to know fair enough, if someone is interested but scared, encourage them fair enough, but at no point it should be someone either says no be it because of nerves or not shouldnt then be told "but you can help someone" their wishes should be respected

If its a friend who was unsure is asked on a later occasion and still says no, fair enough to say are you sure again and that you enjoy it but again should be left at that rather than asked non stop until the person backs down and does it (even if they then decide they didn't mind)

Theres just too many fine lines though,

I have had blood tests done in the past where they have taken large samples, so I could tolerate the discomfort but I wouldnt just donate hence why I say in past lets say I witness an accident, or hear about some campaign about someone with a rare blood type that needs regular donations I would do it no questions asked, not to get anything out of it but because I am doing so because I can help directly there and then.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 14th Apr 18, 6:38 AM
    • 37,630 Posts
    • 139,286 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Time for another blood joke...............

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 14th Apr 18, 10:04 AM
    • 14,388 Posts
    • 27,389 Thanks
    onlyroz
    I'm not allowed and have never been allowed. Shame really.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 4,313 Posts
    • 15,520 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Having donated over 200 times and never thinking about who was going to get it or why, I also never thought about the thanks from the donor suite staff either, in fact we had such a good relationship that I amost felt like one of them and I missed them more when I had to stop than I did the actual donating.

My reason for starting donating in the first place were as simple as they could be, my mum asked me to go along with her just after my 18th birthday and I looked on it as time alone with her that we never got at home. The reason that I carried on all the years that I did was simple as well, I got the blood for nothing (it came with the body) and it cost me nothing to give it away.

When it came to the presentation for my 250th donation, I refused to go to the ceremony at the Caird Hall in Dundee and also for my picture to go into the local paper and there were exactly 5 people there when I got my award, me, 3 nurses and 1 donor attendant, just the usual crowd.

I had 1 occasion where I was called on urgently where a patient in Edinburg that was waiting for a bone marrow transplant and a donor had been found, I was second in line for the marrow donation but only my platelets were used during the operation as my match was just not good enough for the bone marrow, it meant a 120 mile round trip for me because of the location I was working in at the time but my boss was very understanding and didn't even deduct the time from my wages.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 85.6
    Total so far - 2567.2
    • panagia
    • By panagia 14th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    panagia
    Some countries pay blood donors, I think for example the U.S. does. Ditto sperm donations, I think they get 50 dollars a time.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 14th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Genuine question for people who donate: I've always wondered that since I lived in New Zealand for a year and been to Mrs MbW's home city multiple times in the last 20 years or so (and it's been exposed to Soviet nuclear bomb fallout and chemical pollution), would I still be able to become a blood donor?

I ask because the New Zealand Blood Service, for example, place a restriction that you have to be a New Zealander to donate blood there.

Or are these things they check for when you go for your first appointment?

(I don't even know my blood type.)
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th Apr 18, 8:06 PM
    • 4,313 Posts
    • 15,520 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Genuine question for people who donate: I've always wondered that since I lived in New Zealand for a year and been to Mrs MbW's home city multiple times in the last 20 years or so (and it's been exposed to Soviet nuclear bomb fallout and chemical pollution), would I still be able to become a blood donor?

I ask because the New Zealand Blood Service, for example, place a restriction that you have to be a New Zealander to donate blood there.

Or are these things they check for when you go for your first appointment?

(I don't even know my blood type.)
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    There are a number of countries on the 'no-give' list if you have visited them, probaly a list on the website, the given rule that I remember was below the equator was a no-give area but I'm not sure if that extented to Australia/New Zealand
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 85.6
    Total so far - 2567.2
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 14th Apr 18, 8:58 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    There are a number of countries on the 'no-give' list if you have visited them, probaly a list on the website, the given rule that I remember was below the equator was a no-give area but I'm not sure if that extented to Australia/New Zealand
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    New Zealand is okay, Mrs MbW's region in Russia's okay too (the regions either side of hers are not between certain dates).

I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Ames
    • By Ames 14th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 17,437 Posts
    • 30,708 Thanks
    Ames
    Interestingly, in some countries people who spent time (I think it's a few months) in the UK during the BSE years aren't allowed to donate.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 15th Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 7,293 Thanks
    avogadro
    Interestingly, in some countries people who spent time (I think it's a few months) in the UK during the BSE years aren't allowed to donate.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Yes, Germany is one of them. The prion was believed at the time to have a potential incubation period of up to 30 years before symptoms appear.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 15th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 37,630 Posts
    • 139,286 Thanks
    Pyxis
    A rare gem indeed!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Heh, presumably a Bloodstone, Pyx

Excellent!

And rather appropriate as bloodstones are purported to have healing qualities!

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Apr 18, 6:20 PM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 19,814 Thanks
    Sleazy

Excellent!

And rather appropriate as bloodstones are purported to have healing qualities!
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Would it cure baldness?

Ultimus Romanorum
    Descendit Sed Ex
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 15th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 12,421 Posts
    • 16,777 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Would it cure baldness?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Can it make Tories human? Or am I just asking for the impossible?

• Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 15th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 10,876 Posts
    • 19,814 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Can it make Tories human? Or am I just asking for the impossible?
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    Probably
    Not that I really trust the other side either although they have a different agenda ...

Ultimus Romanorum
    Descendit Sed Ex
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

621Posts Today

6,571Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin