Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • I am spartacus
    • By I am spartacus 11th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 99Thanks
    I am spartacus
    A pint, thatís nearly an armful!
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:00 PM
    A pint, thatís nearly an armful! 11th Apr 18 at 3:00 PM
    Hi,
    Donít know if this is the right thread to post on, but Iím sure one of the lovely site moderators will move it if itís not!

Just done my ďgood deadĒ for the day, as per thread title and donated some of my ďClaretĒ

Really just a ďheads upĒ to all of the site users, the NHS always could do with more willing victims!

If you have not given before just visit the web site:-
    https://www.blood.co.uk/
    Check if you are eligible, and give it a try!

As a confirmed needle phobic myself, my advice unless you are a masochist donít look at the needle.

Also as the words of wisdom state, you never know if you or your loved ones might one day be in desperate need of a blood transfusion.

Itís good to give, to paraphrase a JFK quote ďAnd so, my fellow Britainís: ask not what your NHS can do for you; ask what you can do for your NHSĒ

And donít forget you get free tea and biscuits afterwards, Iíve been donating many years now, but I missed out on the Guinness they used to dish out to blood donators!

Take Care, Spartacus.
    I am, therefore I think.

Page 2
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Not a guilt trip at all, just my own Life experience, as Fruitcake (post #9 states) even if the extra donations helps one person is that not worthwhile (even if they are private care?)

But as Voltaire / Evelyn Beatrice Hall is quoted "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,"
    Originally posted by I am spartacus

That is still a guilt trip, what do you think helps people more? Being nice/giving a helping hand to that person in great need who has been rejected by the world or give blood then feel good as its your good deed done for the day.

For the private thing, the point was they were taking your blood, selling it on for profit rather than giving it to the NHS and to people who could afford the best treatment that means people in genuine need will lose out.

Im of the process that if someone is in say an accident and I can be the difference between life and death or even make sure someone stays concious before ambulance arrive id do that and as part of that they may need some blood, but id not donate just because its expected as the right thing to do as it creates a us and them sittuation.

As a saying goes "theres no such thing as a selfless act"
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 12th Apr 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 5,583 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Just let's hope you are never in need of a pint or two.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Apr 18, 8:57 PM
    • 37,583 Posts
    • 138,989 Thanks
    Pyxis
    That is still a guilt trip, what do you think helps people more? Being nice/giving a helping hand to that person in great need who has been rejected by the world or give blood then feel good as its your good deed done for the day.

For the private thing, the point was they were taking your blood, selling it on for profit rather than giving it to the NHS and to people who could afford the best treatment that means people in genuine need will lose out.

Im of the process that if someone is in say an accident and I can be the difference between life and death or even make sure someone stays concious before ambulance arrive id do that and as part of that they may need some blood, but id not donate just because its expected as the right thing to do as it creates a us and them sittuation.

Originally posted by dekaspace
    Deka, I haven't heard of the NHS selling blood to the private sector, but if that were the case, it might be that a certain amount of blood stock is nearing the end of its storage life, in which case, better that it be sold on to be used, than wasted and thrown away, wouldn't you say?

I really cannot see how donating blood creates a them and us situation. Most operations cannot be done without there being blood stocks available, and when someone is injured, they may need loads of blood, so how can giving blood in advance possibly not be helping someone in genuine need?

I really do not believe that the NHS sells blood if there is a chance their stocks will run low, but as I said before, if there is a large surplus, then it makes perfect sense.

If you don't feel able to give blood, for whatever reason, then that is fine. Lots of people find they cannot when it comes down to it.....fear of the needle or whatever........ nothing wrong with that.

And just because someone gives blood, it doesn't mean they don't help people out in other ways. It's not an either/or thing....... you can do both!
    I would have thought that people who give blood are the sort of people who would help others in all sorts of situations.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 16,904 Posts
    • 42,672 Thanks
    elsien
    Quick question folks - do they check your weight or do they take your word for it?
    I used to donate years ago but had to stop when they upped the lower weight limit. I'm now closer to it than I was but still too small although perfectly healthy.
    Worth going along anyway, do you think? I average 7 10 and they want you to be 7 12 apparently.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 12th Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    I once "sold " a quantity of blood. No idea how much they drained out of me.
    It was a back street clinic in Athens but the payment was worth having especially because I was pretty skint at the time.
    Spent it on Retsina and Suvlakis and a boat ticket to Crete
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 9:52 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    Don't like guilt trips, id help anyone in serious need in everyday life than a token gesture

And tea and biscuits are not free if the requirement is to give blood! (and not to get into it but know cases where donated blood has been sold on or only used for private patients, not hearsay but someone in the know locally)
    Giving blood is not a token gesture. Maybe English is not your first language, but it is the very opposite of a token gesture, it is a genuinely important gift that saves lives.

And the fact that you think people should not get blood based on being private patients is just messed up. I know that we have people here who resent anyone doing better than them, but thatís pretty low.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Deka, I haven't heard of the NHS selling blood to the private sector, but if that were the case, it might be that a certain amount of blood stock is nearing the end of its storage life, in which case, better that it be sold on to be used, than wasted and thrown away, wouldn't you say?

I really cannot see how donating blood creates a them and us situation. Most operations cannot be done without there being blood stocks available, and when someone is injured, they may need loads of blood, so how can giving blood in advance possibly not be helping someone in genuine need?

I really do not believe that the NHS sells blood if there is a chance their stocks will run low, but as I said before, if there is a large surplus, then it makes perfect sense.

If you don't feel able to give blood, for whatever reason, then that is fine. Lots of people find they cannot when it comes down to it.....fear of the needle or whatever........ nothing wrong with that.

And just because someone gives blood, it doesn't mean they don't help people out in other ways. It's not an either/or thing....... you can do both!
    I would have thought that people who give blood are the sort of people who would help others in all sorts of situations.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Nope, from what I remember it was some semi third party taking donations which fooled people into thinking they did it direct who then sold it privatly that and they kept encouraging the people who donated because they claimed there was short supply even phoning people if say they couldn't do it one time and getting agressive, it happened to my father, it happened to other people I and he knows and was told by more than one person who worked for them how they walked out as they were encouraged bear in mind this was in Scotland too.

I mean you just went and tried to find a postitive spin on it rather than assume maybe it does happen

It only takes the person above to show how it does become a us and them situation by like they did which was guilt tripping because I don't donate.

(and they ignored the part where I said I would donate if someone was in direct need)

Im of the belief that help needs to be given without reward and without expectation for no other benefit than helping someone in need, that example of it being sold on was just an example of how its not just a case of donating blood, just as I mentioned the selfless thing it becomes about someones own personal buzz (and im not saying they intentionally do it)

It becomes a case of where do we draw the line, if someone helps their elderly neighbour with shopping, is there for a friend or stranger for a shoulder to cry on on multiple occasions, fights to help someone in need, but doesn't donate blood that means they don't deserve medical treatment if they need it?! Likewise say someone who gives blood and not very often but is a nasty piece of work who steps on others and mocks people who are in a bad place deserves it just because they give blood, where do we draw the line?

I have no doubt people do help others but no one is perfect you get people who think they do a lot but not only do next to nothing, and people who give a lot in relative terms despite what they give being next to nothing (as I say its what they can give rather than how much they give)

People don't mean it to be a us and them thing but like on organ donation debates thats how it turns out, all about politics

Thats why I will honestly say I will help a person in need but do so out of care not because its expected of me morally.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    I was just looking at your ďan update on meĒ thread.

Given your attitude on this one, youíd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Karma some people call it.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Apr 18, 10:03 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I was just looking at your ďan update on meĒ thread.

Given your attitude on this one, youíd have to have a heart of stone not to laugh.

Karma some people call it.
    Originally posted by John-K

Must be so nice to sit up high and judge other people thinking yourself superior, people who do that have sad lifes indeed.

By the way im a he so massive fail from you!

(notice again how you missed out how I would help someone in need, now would YOU do that or just sit back and let others do it and act like you are the one in the right)
    • EasyAs123
    • By EasyAs123 12th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    EasyAs123
    Quick question folks - do they check your weight or do they take your word for it?
    I used to donate years ago but had to stop when they upped the lower weight limit. I'm now closer to it than I was but still too small although perfectly healthy.
    Worth going along anyway, do you think? I average 7 10 and they want you to be 7 12 apparently.
    Originally posted by elsien
    They make you drink a pint of water which weighs around a pound. If you asked for a second one (which i sometimes do just because i'm thirsty and they never mind) then you'd weigh 7 12 anyway
    • John-K
    • By John-K 12th Apr 18, 10:15 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    Must be so nice to sit up high and judge other people thinking yourself superior, people who do that have sad lifes indeed.
    It is, actually. Having lived a good life so far, helped people out, and being in a good place myself makes me very happy.

Earning enough to help out my family, supporting myself and my loved ones, and still finding time to mentor some of the younger staff at work, and yes, to give blood, also makes me feel that I am doing something good.

I can always do better, and do more of course, so I do keep trying.

Itíks Not clear though what you have done that leads to your sneering attitude that you display. You too seem to think that you are better than everyone else, but itís hard to see why, exactly.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    It is, actually. Having lived a good life so far, helped people out, and being in a good place myself makes me very happy.

Earning enough to help out my family, supporting myself and my loved ones, and still finding time to mentor some of the younger staff at work, and yes, to give blood, also makes me feel that I am doing something good.

I can always do better, and do more of course, so I do keep trying.

It!!!8217;ks Not clear though what you have done that leads to your sneering attitude that you display. You too seem to think that you are better than everyone else, but it!!!8217;s hard to see why, exactly.
    You are the one sneering actually.

And I just have your word at your "good life" but if your attitude on here is anything to go by I doubt it especially if you spend your free time online trying to find someway to feel superior to another person andfrom your comments like claiming I think I am better than anyone else that makes you seem agressive just as you think because you donate blood it makes you a good person.

Now do you help someone who had a mental breakdown who got sectioned after his mum died of cancer and he himself had serious health problems that lead to him having 2 strokes then his brother died? Were you there for them when they turned to drink and legal highs to get rid of the pain?

Thats just one person I helped at expense of my own mental health, I was there for a relative when they were thinking about suicide again at expense of my own mental health.

I was turning up for work after a relatives murder making my own mental health worse.

I grew up being told I would amount to nothing at and one point was helping build an orphanage abroad and won award for it, I used to mentor local disabled people again before my own mental health got worse after the murder.

You seem to have a set idea and want me to justify myself to you, which is just justification of your own attitude that it seems you think you are better than me.
    Last edited by dekaspace; 12-04-2018 at 10:28 PM.
    • Biker*Chick
    • By Biker*Chick 13th Apr 18, 12:05 AM
    • 9,703 Posts
    • 1,116,235 Thanks
    Biker*Chick
    I'd been meaning to 'give' for a while and finally did so at the end of March I've booked the next one in July and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

I was so chuffed when I got a txt a couple of days ago to say which hospital my blood had been sent to, so I knew it was useful to someone The https://www.blood.co.uk/ nurses were excellent throughout the process and made me feel very comfortable. I went because I just felt I wanted to contribute something to the wider society and the decision came from an altruistic place. Yes, I also felt good doing it, but what's wrong with that?
    Contessa Biker*Chick of the Alphabetty thread

=^._.^=
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I'd been meaning to 'give' for a while and finally did so at the end of March I've booked the next one in July and will continue to do so for as long as I can.

I was so chuffed when I got a txt a couple of days ago to say which hospital my blood had been sent to, so I knew it was useful to someone The https://www.blood.co.uk/ nurses were excellent throughout the process and made me feel very comfortable. I went because I just felt I wanted to contribute something to the wider society and the decision came from an altruistic place. Yes, I also felt good doing it, but what's wrong with that?
    Originally posted by Biker*Chick
    Nothing wrong with feeling good about it if thats all it is its the wider meaning behind feeling good about it as if it ticks a box.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Giving blood is not a token gesture. Maybe English is not your first language, but it is the very opposite of a token gesture, it is a genuinely important gift that saves lives.

And the fact that you think people should not get blood based on being private patients is just messed up. I know that we have people here who resent anyone doing better than them, but that!!!8217;s pretty low.

I didn't say people shouldn't give blood, tell me where I said that, or are you are stupid as you claim I am?

It shouldn't be expected but thats not the same as shouldn't give blood give blood all you want but don't act superior to those who don't then bully people because they don't then choose what truths you believe to be the only truth.

Maybe you should go back to school and look at yourself in the mirror as you are obviously not as clever or as happy in life as you believe yourself to be.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 13th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 2,120 Posts
    • 5,583 Thanks
    Loanranger
    I got a text too, bikerchick, saying my pint had gone to Macclesfield General Hospital. Glad to have been able to help somebody in a bad way. Bikerchick, you did a very good thing that day.
    If you are able to donate blood I cannot see any valid reason why anyone would not want to help someone else who is in dire need.
    Giving blood and doing other good deeds are not mutually exclusive.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 4,564 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I got a text too, bikerchick, saying my pint had gone to Macclesfield General Hospital. Glad to have been able to help somebody in a bad way. Bikerchick, you did a very good thing that day.
    If you are able to donate blood I cannot see any valid reason why anyone would not want to help someone else who is in dire need.
    Giving blood and doing other good deeds are not mutually exclusive.
    Originally posted by Loanranger

If you have disposable income I cannot see any valid reason anyone would not want to help someone else who is in dire need.

See the point there is it becomes a expectation and judgement is given on people who don't as others on this thread have proven.

The point with what I was saying earlier was the judging part dismisses what else the person does in life by validating everything on if someone gives blood its making people justify why they don't whilst acting like doing so is the only right choice.

Id rather help someone directly in need than go through a third party that may mean if need be I donate regularly but I would not do it because I am expected to give blood just because as it becomes all about morals again which has been proven by other peoples responses.

You can be the nicest person, hard working, go out of your way to help everyone but shamed for not giving blood.
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 13th Apr 18, 4:00 PM
    • 37,583 Posts
    • 138,989 Thanks
    Pyxis

Originally posted by Biker*Chick
    Next time you go, would you give a pint for me as well, seeing as how they won't have mine? Many thanks!

Time for a joke............

[]
    Last edited by Pyxis; 13-04-2018 at 4:03 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 13th Apr 18, 5:32 PM
    • 24,679 Posts
    • 98,557 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    I've donated in the past - I didn't know what it involved at first, as the people around me at work were mostly conspiracy theorists or racists that reckoned they should be able to dictate the ethnicity of any recipient before donation/receipt.

I never expected to get free food afterwards, but the little old ladies that volunteered insisted on feeding me up with lots of crisps, cake, biscuits and tea before letting me go, as I looked a bit pale (my natural colour, but they weren't to know - or just wanted to be certain).

I didn't care who got the end result, as wherever or whomever they were, they'd have needed it. As I very nearly did some years later.

It's not particularly uncomfortable, just a tiny drop taken to establish you're not anaemic and a quick chat to establish you aren't in a high risk group for passing something on/have a medical condition that could make you unwell, a quick scratch and a nice sit down for a while, then there's the snacks afterwards - definitely feels like it's appreciated when they could just tell you 'thanks very much - the door's that way'.

Then just a few hours later, it's all been tested for safety, typed and processed and ready for use over the next month.

It's such a small thing for one person to do - you're just going to make some more, after all - but for the recipient, it's a massive thing.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 7,814 Posts
    • 14,058 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I can donate blood but I donated twice. I felt so sick, unable to use my left arm much and I was pouring with sweat during the donation. I had the drink and biscuits after.

Thought it was a one off - so went again five months later. Same problems again. Dad suffered the same symptoms as me.

Would like to donate blood but I know I sound selfish, my health is important
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,569Posts Today

9,349Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin