Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 11th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    • 77Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    Sign new Tenancy Agreement or benefits will be suspended?
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:26 PM
    Sign new Tenancy Agreement or benefits will be suspended? 11th Apr 18 at 2:26 PM
    Hello.

Got a letter from my landlords agent on 10th March
    stating that 'they will no longer be the agents from 1st April 2018.

The new agents will contact you from this date.'

Got a letter today from new 'landlords' stating that 'your landlord should have informed you about the sale of this property.You will be dealing with this letting agent in future.

If you are on HB / UC you need to sign the tenancy agreement asap. If you do not your benefits will be suspended by the council.

If you are a private tenant cancel any standing orders with yr previous landlord.

It is imperitive you sign asap.'

I don't want to sign a new AST because I'm looking for another place, I've been offered a flat by a crappy housing association but am more hopeful of getting a house nearby but it's taking a while to come on the market.

My rent gets paid by council direct to landlord with top ups paid by standing order this week.

It's a long while since I signed a tenancy agreement, I've been at this address for 6 years, so it must be a periodic.

I'm pretty sure my landlord owns both the old and new letting agents.

Could be paranoid but I wonder if the housing association got in touch with original letting agents for a reference and they have gone - hang on we need to keep this chap - or maybe it's coincidence.

I need time but it's the bit in bold as per thread title that concerns me most.

If I sign it then I'll be bound to stay for however long it's for.
    If I don't then they say the council will stop my benefits.
Page 3
    • Mr Gnu
    • By Mr Gnu 17th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Mr Gnu
    IF you sign a new tenancy you need to make sure it is water tight in allowing you to give notice and leave at any time.

You can't just "add in a clause".

You could be tied into another 6 months. Do not just take your 'LL word for it.
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    If the council are (rightly or wrongly) insisting on a new AST ask for a contractual periodic tenancy.
    Originally posted by Pixie5740
    Really wary of signing it now.

Just got off phone to shelter, no need to sign a new AST ! everyone except the silly person who suspended my HB agrees on this.

The shelter chap said to get a letter of proof of ownership from LL/agents letter with bank details on it,and take it to council and get CAB involved.

I asked the agents yesterday and today for an email with the bank details for top ups to be paid but they still haven't sent one.

EDIT UPDATE :
    Weds 18th April.

Been on phone to CAB and welfare rights both said to sign a new AST otherwise things will get worse.Phoned ESA to see if I will still get paid but got automated message saying wait and see.

Phoned new LL they are coming round tomorrow with a AST with a break clause. I'll take that to council on Friday.

The agents say they don't do periodic tenacies.
    Last edited by Mr Gnu; 19-04-2018 at 5:21 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,013Posts Today

7,030Users online

Martin's Twitter