Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • learnedrobb
    • By learnedrobb 11th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    learnedrobb
    RBS delaying my claim?
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    RBS delaying my claim? 11th Apr 18 at 2:23 PM
    So, today was the 8 week deadline for my PPI claim against thr RBS for a credit card I had with them about 7 years ago.

Having heard nothing from them, rather than escalate straight to the FO, I thought I would contact them first to see if i could get an answer.

According to the guy I spoke to, they only have to have assesed my case by close of business today, and it may be another week to 10 days before I recieve notification of their decision. Surely that isn't right?

Their own website states that you will recieve an answer "within the 8 week deadline", and I'm sure the FO and FSA rules state this as well.

Any help?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Apr 18, 2:24 PM
    • 16,413 Posts
    • 17,465 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:24 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:24 PM
    They're doing it as fast as they can. Be patient.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 11th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 4,290 Posts
    • 2,513 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:28 PM
    FOS (not the Foreign Office) will accept the case after 8 weeks but means the bank will stop looking at it.

Remember half the country has been chancing their arm on PPI complaints, even people who never had it, so there is always a backlog of work
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 11th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 92,172 Posts
    • 59,339 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:51 PM
    Their own website states that you will recieve an answer "within the 8 week deadline", and I'm sure the FO and FSA rules state this as well.
    It is an objective. Not a rule that requires it. Remember it wasnt too long ago that PPI complaints were taking 2 years.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • learnedrobb
    • By learnedrobb 11th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    learnedrobb
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    So basically they cam take as long as they want.
    • Partridge89
    • By Partridge89 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Partridge89
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    As long as you!!!8217;re prepared to give them, but no real incentive for them to drag things out as the statutory interest element of the redress increases as time goes by. As an earlier poster has pointed out, you do have the right to refer to FOS but this may cause a longer delay. Also, they have 8 weeks to issue their letter, you don!!!8217;t have to receive it within 8 weeks.
    • learnedrobb
    • By learnedrobb 11th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    learnedrobb
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:33 PM
    The thing is, their website and the email they sent on reciept of my complaint both explicitly state that they will have the decision with me "within the 8 week deadline". If they only intend to have made the decision by the end of the 8 weeks, surely they should state this instead?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 11th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 16,413 Posts
    • 17,465 Thanks
    zx81
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    They won't know for sure, due to the huge volume. May be a day, may be 6 months.

8 weeks is the guidance
    • Partridge89
    • By Partridge89 11th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Partridge89
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    I donít work for RBS (or any other lender) so no vested interests and canít speak on their behalf but Iíve just checked the FCA site and they require the response to be issued within 8 weeks, not with you. Mind, I donít see why it should take as long as youíve been quoted to reach you.
    • Farmerbob
    • By Farmerbob 11th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    Farmerbob
    I made a claim in October, got my redress offer end of Dec then cheque beginning of Feb its a waiting game with increasing complaints due to the deadline and plevin cases. Just bide your time a bit longer theyll get there.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 20,000 Posts
    • 10,981 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I!!!8217;ve just checked the FCA site and they require the response to be issued within 8 weeks
    Originally posted by Partridge89
    The banks are allowed to consider complaints for eight weeks. If the Bank doesn't fully respond within this guideline then the complainant then has the right to refer the complaint to the Ombudsman.

However, if the Bank fail to answer simply because they are snowed under due to the volume of extra complaints, the complainant will gain nothing by referring to the Ombudsman other than then entering yet another queue.

its a waiting game with increasing complaints due to the deadline and plevin cases. Just bide your time a bit longer theyll get there.
    Originally posted by Farmerbob
    Exactly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Follow Martin