Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grudz1980
    • By grudz1980 11th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    grudz1980
    Best savings for 12000 ish
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:15 PM
    Best savings for 12000 ish 11th Apr 18 at 2:15 PM
    We have around 12k we are looking to put in a savings account (or current account). We've both had the Nationwide 5% Flex-Direct ones in the last year. What options are there for us now to maximise the interest we can get? Thinking about a Tesco current account where we would put 3k in now and the 750 a month for the next 11 months (which in my reckoning would give us 1080 in interest - is that really correct?!). What other options are available to us? TIA
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 11th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 8,041 Posts
    • 8,958 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    Thinking about a Tesco current account where we would put 3k in now and the 750 a month for the next 11 months (which in my reckoning would give us 1080 in interest - is that really correct?!).
    Originally posted by grudz1980
    No - the Tesco current account pays 3% per year (on up to 3K, i.e. about 90) not 3% per month!

You can have multiple accounts with them so four between you would absorb the 12K nicely, as long as you can find (or create) 12 direct debit mandates, and pay in 750 to each of them every month.

Other than that, you're obviously familiar with the principle of using current accounts for savings and where to find info about how to do this, so the relevant articles (such as https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/which-saving-account) should tell you all you need to know, at least up to the point at which you review the actual product Ts & Cs before committing of course!
    • grudz1980
    • By grudz1980 11th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    grudz1980
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    Doh! I did wonder about the 3% but no matter how many times I read it I couldn't see it for looking!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,083Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin