Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 11th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 639Posts
    • 486Thanks
    Rich2808
    Pension credit inheriting second property abroad
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    Pension credit inheriting second property abroad 11th Apr 18 at 1:53 PM
    My mother currently receives pension credit. She is about to inherit a property in Ireland from her brother his house was his only asset. The property valuation for the estate is 50,000 euro and after solicitors fees/Irish inheritance tax/funeral costs the net benefit is around 38,000 euro.

She intends to sell the property but it could take time as it is in a rural area.

My question is really how is this translated into the assumed savings income for pension credit purposes:

Is it the net benefit she receives used for the calculation (i.e. 38,000 euro after fees/taxes/funeral costs) or the total property value of 50,000 euro
    What conversion rate is used to translate it into sterling is it a fixed reference date linked to the date of probate?
    Is there a disregard period I saw somewhere that a second property is disregarded for 26 weeks if there is an intention to sell it and it is unoccupied?

Any thoughts on this would be welcome. As her savings are below 10,000 and she gets full pension credit (including the disability uplift as she gets higher rate attendance allowance) I am assuming she would still qualify for some guaranteed pension credit?
Page 1
    • Wizardly18
    • By Wizardly18 11th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Wizardly18
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    Any property here or aboard is normally required to be declared, so on that assumption, I'm guessing any actual property will effect entitlement.
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 11th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    Any property here or aboard is normally required to be declared, so on that assumption, I'm guessing any actual property will effect entitlement.
    Originally posted by Wizardly18
    I agree it will affect entitlement. It's really how it will that I am interested in - when it's an inheritance of a property outside the UK (E.g. valuation and currency conversion issues). While the DWP may be up to speed on UK prices how do they value properties abroad - probate value or current value and who does the valuation for them?

I assume the 26 week disregard is from the probate date or is it when the property deeds are transferred into your name.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 5,277 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:22 PM
    Any disregard would be from the date that ownership/title to the property legally transferred. What I'm not sure about is any period of disregard for a second property. There is a disregard period if the main residence is sold and the intention is to purchase another property, but that doesn't cover the situation here.
    With regard to valuation, DWP will initially want to see evidence that the property is being marketed and would probably take the initial valuation from that. In the UK they can access Land Registry information for similar properties to get an approximate value.
    There is a phone number for the Pension Service Help Line so it may be worth giving them a call to get some clarification.
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 22,295 Posts
    • 10,913 Thanks
    lisyloo
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:16 PM
    Is there a property disreagard when one joint owner gains a property via survivorship (so no probate).
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 5,277 Posts
    • 5,829 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    Is there a property disreagard when one joint owner gains a property via survivorship (so no probate).
    Originally posted by lisyloo
    If the property in question is the main residence it is permanently ignored. If you mean a second property then it should have been declared at the start of any Income Related claim anyway as it would be classed as capital.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 11th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    • 15,861 Posts
    • 22,590 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:02 PM
    There is no upper capital limit for Pension Credit but you may receive a reduced amount if you have more than 10,000 of capital. For every 500 or part of 500 of capital over 10,000, you'll be treated as having 'deemed income' of 1 a week. This is added to any other income you have, such as a pension.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/how-your-benefits-are-means-tested/

EUR 38,000 is about GBP 33,000, so the deemed income would be GBP 46 a week.

The actual numbers will depend on how much is received when the property is sold and the estate distributed.

I believe that the there is a disregard which applies for 28 weeks or until the property is sold.
    Last edited by antrobus; 11-04-2018 at 6:04 PM.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Apr 18, 6:18 PM
    • 26,139 Posts
    • 15,487 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:18 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:18 PM
    https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs48_pension_credit_fcs.pdf
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 11th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:42 PM
    There is also an extremely complex guide here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/687298/pension-credit-detailed-guide-pc10s.pdf

It explains the policy on overseas assets in detail:

Overseas assets
    [Legislation 37a]
    If your customer holds property or other assets outside the UK:
    the asset will be valued at its sale (or surrender) value in the country
    of origin if there is no law to stop them transferring money from there
    to this country
    the value of the property will be the sale value in the UK if your
    customer is not allowed to transfer money from the country of origin to
    the UK
    In both cases:
    we will ignore 10% of the assets current market value if there are any
    costs involved in the sale (for example, estate agents or
    stockbrokers fees).
    [Legislation 38]
    if the asset is held in a currency other than sterling, we will allow a
    deduction for any banking charge or commission payable to convert
    the currency to sterling
    we will deduct any outstanding debts or mortgages secured on the
    assets
    • tboo
    • By tboo 11th Apr 18, 7:42 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 4,076 Thanks
    tboo
    My mother currently receives pension credit. She is about to inherit a property in Ireland from her brother his house was his only asset. The property valuation for the estate is 50,000 euro and after solicitors fees/Irish inheritance tax/funeral costs the net benefit is around 38,000 euro.

She intends to sell the property but it could take time as it is in a rural area.

My question is really how is this translated into the assumed savings income for pension credit purposes:

Is it the net benefit she receives used for the calculation (i.e. 38,000 euro after fees/taxes/funeral costs) or the total property value of 50,000 euro
    What conversion rate is used to translate it into sterling is it a fixed reference date linked to the date of probate?
    Is there a disregard period I saw somewhere that a second property is disregarded for 26 weeks if there is an intention to sell it and it is unoccupied?

Any thoughts on this would be welcome. As her savings are below 10,000 and she gets full pension credit (including the disability uplift as she gets higher rate attendance allowance) I am assuming she would still qualify for some guaranteed pension credit?
    Originally posted by Rich2808

She may not have the capital counted if she has an Assessed Income Figure (AIF) period but please contact the pension service for guidance.
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    Youre only here for a short visit. Dont hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way. Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Apr 18, 8:38 PM
    • 22,295 Posts
    • 10,913 Thanks
    lisyloo
    If the property in question is the main residence it is permanently ignored. If you mean a second property then it should have been declared at the start of any Income Related claim anyway as it would be classed as capital.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    It is no longer a main residence since the death.
    The sole owner is permanently in a nursing home.

I cannot now remember why i asked becuase the pension credit unit said they would not take it into account initially but would send letters to get updates (the sole owner lacks capacity and no power of attorney is in place so it will take time as we need to apply to the court of protection which we will start after the funeral).
    • susieb
    • By susieb 13th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,493 Posts
    • 1,059 Thanks
    susieb
    Does she have an assessed income figure? For her pension credit
    Always on the hunt for a bargain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,094Posts Today

8,986Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin