Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 11th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 445Posts
    • 227Thanks
    Deastons
    Empire Cinemas - tickets non-refundable
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    Empire Cinemas - tickets non-refundable 11th Apr 18 at 1:42 PM
    Tickets booked at Empire Cinemas are non-refundable and non-exchangeable. Well, clearly that's not true - they could refund and exchange them if they wanted to. They just choose not to allow it.

Legally, can they deny you a refund? Are they allowed to not offer any sort of cooling off?

And from a business point-of-view, why be so harsh? I get not allowing a refund/exchange less than, say, 24hrs before the film, but why a flat "NO". It doesn't give a very good impression to customers. And in these modern times, surely it's no additional work - it's all done by computers.
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 4,495 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    I would't expect a cinema ticket to be refundable or exchangeable. Theatre tickets aren't either.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 6,374 Thanks
    waamo
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    Yes they can deny a refund if it is simply a case of you changing your mind.

I have no idea why they would do this, it's not the best customer service but is perfectly legal.
    This space for hire.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 4,495 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:52 PM
    ... if you can no longer attend an event or you've simply changed your mind about going, you're rarely entitled to a refund, despite tickets often being purchased months in advance.
    https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/can-i-get-a-refund-on-my-ticket
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 11th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 13,066 Posts
    • 10,415 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:04 PM
    If the tickets were for a specific screening, theres no right to a refund or exchange.

If however you purchased them online and they're not for a certain screening, then you should have the right to cancel under the Consumer Contract (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • foxtrotoscar
    • By foxtrotoscar 11th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 1,869 Thanks
    foxtrotoscar
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    If the tickets were for a specific screening, theres no right to a refund or exchange.

If however you purchased them online and they're not for a certain screening, then you should have the right to cancel under the Consumer Contract (Information, Cancellation & Additional Charges) Regulations.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Empire Cinema tickets are for a specific screening.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 10,707 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    Odeon and Cineworld don't refund either. I generally go to our local Odeon and always book online - throughout the process they make it clear that tickets are non refundable.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 11th Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    Odeon and Cineworld don't refund either. I generally go to our local Odeon and always book online - throughout the process they make it clear that tickets are non refundable.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Empire made it clear, too. Very clear. Red wording, bold, over and over again. But it just made me wonder why they don't offer refunds/exchanges. As I mentioned, it's largely online/automated, so why is it such an effort to allow people to change their mind, or decide to go to an earlier/later screening?

The only plus I can see for the cinema is they get to keep the 10-or-so per ticket for anyone that changes their mind/has an emergency/has to stay late at work. The negative is they don't get to re-sell the tickets and don't then make profit from the associated confectionary sales.
    Last edited by Deastons; 11-04-2018 at 3:04 PM.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 11th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Deastons
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    Yes they can deny a refund if it is simply a case of you changing your mind.

I have no idea why they would do this, it's not the best customer service but is perfectly legal.
    Originally posted by waamo
    Quite. In this case I chose to not book - we'll just get the tickets when we go there. This also saves me 2.10 in booking fees.

But this also opens-up the ability for us to change our mind without any second thought. Or go to a different cinema. If anything, it seems to me that they should offer a slight discount for booking online.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Apr 18, 3:14 PM
    • 4,925 Posts
    • 6,374 Thanks
    waamo
    Quite. In this case I chose to not book - we'll just get the tickets when we go there. This also saves me 2.10 in booking fees.

But this also opens-up the ability for us to change our mind without any second thought. Or go to a different cinema. If anything, it seems to me that they should offer a slight discount for booking online.
    Originally posted by Deastons
    2.10 booking fee for paying online. Someone is having a giraffe.
    This space for hire.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 11th Apr 18, 6:36 PM
    • 1,646 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Empire made it clear, too. Very clear. Red wording, bold, over and over again. But it just made me wonder why they don't offer refunds/exchanges. As I mentioned, it's largely online/automated, so why is it such an effort to allow people to change their mind, or decide to go to an earlier/later screening?

The only plus I can see for the cinema is they get to keep the 10-or-so per ticket for anyone that changes their mind/has an emergency/has to stay late at work. The negative is they don't get to re-sell the tickets and don't then make profit from the associated confectionary sales.

Isn't it obvious? Once they've got your money, why would they want to give it back? They can't be sure of re-selling your tickets.
    • Deastons
    • By Deastons 12th Apr 18, 9:22 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Deastons
    Isn't it obvious? Once they've got your money, why would they want to give it back? They can't be sure of re-selling your tickets.
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    I gave the answer to that a few posts ago:

The negative is they don't get to re-sell the tickets and don't then make profit from the associated confectionary sales.
    This could also impact surrounding businesses - fast food joints, restaurants etc.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 4,254 Posts
    • 10,895 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime

2.10 booking fee for paying online.
    Never again will I moan about the 3.50 (2.50 in the week) and 30p booking fee at my local cinema again!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 11,075 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    It's certainly not a technology issue - Cineworld offers cancellation of Unlimited bookings up to 2 hours before the screening. (Indeed, they ask you to cancel your booking(s) if you know you definitely won't be going). I suppose in that instance, there is no downside to them - they can potentially re-sell those seats.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Apr 18, 11:01 AM
    • 4,495 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The problem with allowing cancellation would the same one the airlines have on (very expensive) fully flexible tickets. People could book tickets for three different films and then decide at the last minute which ones they didn't want, leaving the cinema with unsold tickets.

Even worse, people could maliciously buy hundreds of tickets and cancel them at the last minute in order to damage a business.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 12th Apr 18, 1:00 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 10,707 Thanks
    LilElvis
    2.10 booking fee for paying online. Someone is having a giraffe.
    But you do get the benefit of not having to queue at the box office only to find that it's sold out, you can't sit your group in adjacent seats or that the only ones remaining are the crap ones.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Apr 18, 1:17 PM
    • 11,075 Posts
    • 11,702 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Cineworld now have an upgraded membership scheme (separate to Unlimited) that includes the option to cancel online.

https://www.cineworld.co.uk/help/other-questions/q20
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Apr 18, 2:38 PM
    • 21,741 Posts
    • 17,623 Thanks
    agrinnall
    But you do get the benefit of not having to queue at the box office only to find that it's sold out, you can't sit your group in adjacent seats or that the only ones remaining are the crap ones.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Although of course some of those seats that are supposedly booked already may well have been booked by Unlimited type customers who have no intention of turning up and the seats will remain empty.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,950Posts Today

7,523Users online

Martin's Twitter