Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • vennersje
    • By vennersje 11th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    vennersje
    Credit card payment made when card had expired 1 year ago.
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:04 PM
    Credit card payment made when card had expired 1 year ago. 11th Apr 18 at 1:04 PM
    This sounds crazy,well it does to me, My Halifax credit card authorized a payment of 500 to an insurance company on a set of card details that had expired 12 months ago. I was issued a new card but can anyone tell me how the bank can do this. They say that they have to because its a subscription but I bought a 1 year insurance policy and cancelled the new policy before the renewal.

The best bit is the insurance company the were unable to refund the money to the card as it had expired.
    The bank say they have done nothing wrong!
    Are they correct?

Many thanks for listening
    Jon
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Apr 18, 2:07 PM
    • 8,261 Posts
    • 10,543 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:07 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:07 PM
    Continuous payment authority means a payment to an expired card will be authorised on an open account.

The bank are correct. It's for you to manage your CPAs if you want to cancel them.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 19,941 Posts
    • 15,657 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:10 PM
    Forget the bank, it hasn't done anything wrong.

But the insurance company may have, if you told them that you did not wish to renew the policy before the renewal date (it's not entirely clear from your post if you did). Have they now refunded you in some other way, or are you asking for advice on how to proceed with them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

282Posts Today

3,817Users online

Martin's Twitter