Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ryderboy24
    • By ryderboy24 11th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ryderboy24
    Data protection
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    Data protection 11th Apr 18 at 12:48 PM
    I drive a lease car from Volkswagon, which means I dont own the car and I don't have the V5 registration document. VW hold my details. My question is, I got a parking fine from a private car parking company. This company obviously contacted the DVLA who told them VW own the car. VW have then given my details to the car parking firm and then passed them to a debt recovery company. (no way was I paying a fine to a cowboy company). What rights do VW finance have to disclose my details to a third party who are not a government body. I am sure that under the data protection laws a company should not be giving out personal details (name and address) of a customer without first speaking to the customer. VW by passing on my details have enables a third party to gain access to my details. It would be nice to know if anyone has approached VW about this.
    Last edited by ryderboy24; 11-04-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Page 1
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 11th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,941 Posts
    • 4,651 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:55 PM
    So you'd rather VW had paid the PCN, billed you for it and you'd have lost your opportunity to appeal?

Have you looked at the lease agreement you signed, it no doubt addresses the issue of parking tickets and other traffic infringements and says what they will do if notified of any you incur.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,571 Posts
    • 2,647 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    Did you read the smallprint of your contract?

They are also covered by Section 56 and Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 (POFA) - if you are not the driver you are obliged to tell the parking enforcement company of the identity of the driver and if you're a hire company if you don't notify the landowner of a copy of the agreement within 28 days you're liable. Guess what VW Finance are going to do?

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/9155/guidance-unpaid-parking-charges.pdf

12.1: A person or organisation hiring a vehicle from a hire company is
    responsible for any parking charges during the hire period if they have
    signed an agreement with the hire company accepting liability. In those
    circumstances the hire company cannot be liable for unpaid parking
    charges during the period of hire if they provide a copy of the relevant
    hire agreement documents to the landholder within 28 days of receiving
    a notice to keeper in the post.

If you fail to do so then the registered keeper has to pay so what do you think the chances of VW Finance doing that are going to be?

All lease and hire companies, if they don't pay the tickets and bill you, pass on the details of the person who has leased/hired the vehicle when incoming fines and parking tickets turn up.

Could be worse, they could have paid it on your behalf and charged you an admin fee for doing it. From VW Financial Services:
    It is your responsibility to pay any fines you get in your vehicle, such as congestion charge, bus lane fines, speeding and parking fines. However for Contract Hire agreements, as we are the registered keepers of the vehicle, we may have to pay the fine on your behalf. If we do, we will invoice you, plus an administration fee plus VAT.

If you want to get compensation from them because it ended up with a debt recovery then best of luck because the only reason it ended up with a debt recovery company is because you decided you weren't going to pay.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 11-04-2018 at 1:08 PM.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 11th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 4,266 Posts
    • 5,605 Thanks
    waamo
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    VW have the right to pass on your details. In future appeal the tickets as some companies will take you to court for the money.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,907Posts Today

8,186Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin