Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lynseys
    • By lynseys 11th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    lynseys
    non standard construction/spooner home?
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    non standard construction/spooner home? 11th Apr 18 at 9:55 AM
    i went and viewed a house yesterday that i was advised by the estate agent is of non standard construction - timber frame with brick skin. it's price is good (obviously haha) and location also perfect. I'm buying following breakdown of my marriage, i have 2 children and a small deposit so my range of houses is very small and at the moment i feel like im just going over and over whats been on the market for months that no one else wants! although this one hasnt been on for an awfully long time

i emailed my mortgage advisor today so waiting a response. just wondered if anyone had any experience of buying this kind of property? it won't be my forever home, im in a new relationship now so expect that in a couple of years time we will be in the position to move into a more long term home i just need something that will hpuse me and my two kids in the meantime.

thanks in advance xx
Page 1
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 11th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 1,304 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    dunroving
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:34 AM
    i went and viewed a house yesterday that i was advised by the estate agent is of non standard construction - timber frame with brick skin. it's price is good (obviously haha) and location also perfect. I'm buying following breakdown of my marriage, i have 2 children and a small deposit so my range of houses is very small and at the moment i feel like im just going over and over whats been on the market for months that no one else wants! although this one hasnt been on for an awfully long time

i emailed my mortgage advisor today so waiting a response. just wondered if anyone had any experience of buying this kind of property? it won't be my forever home, im in a new relationship now so expect that in a couple of years time we will be in the position to move into a more long term home i just need something that will hpuse me and my two kids in the meantime.

thanks in advance xx
    Originally posted by lynseys
    If money is tight, I'd think the properties in bold would be the ones to go for, as you have a better chance of negotiating down from the asking price. If the non-standard house is new to the market, the seller is unlikely to negotiate down at this point.
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 7,197 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    It can be difficult to secure a mortgage on a non-standard house, which is why the EA warned you about it.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 11th Apr 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1,059 Posts
    • 1,310 Thanks
    ProDave
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:13 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:13 AM

thanks in advance xx
    Originally posted by lynseys
    That does not sound at all non standard.
    • lynseys
    • By lynseys 11th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    lynseys
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:33 AM
    what makes you say that? i sort of thought the same tbh sounds like how all houses are built. Google had a lot of horror stories but the fact its brick makes me think its a lot better than a typical prefab :/ but im not a builder haha
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 8,530 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    A Spooner house is a particular type of non-standard construction with implications on mortgageability. You will require a surveyor with knowledge of this specific construction type.

https://www.cml.org.uk/documents/non-traditional-housing-in-the-uk-a-brief-overview-report/pdf_pub_misc_NontradhousingBR.pdf.pdf

(Figure 10 page 12)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 3,961 Posts
    • 7,197 Thanks
    Smodlet
    It sounds as if it could be of concrete construction on a timber frame with a brick skin added later to protect the structure. Is it ex council? Some councils add brick skins to their non-standard properties to protect them. Perhaps ask the EA as they seem to know about it, or ask the vendor.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 11th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    • 8,530 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    A Spooner house is a particular type of non-standard construction with implications on mortgageability. You will require a surveyor with knowledge of this specific construction type.

https://www.cml.org.uk/documents/non-traditional-housing-in-the-uk-a-brief-overview-report/pdf_pub_misc_NontradhousingBR.pdf.pdf

(Figure 10 page 12)

Sorry, double posted
    Last edited by Owain Moneysaver; 11-04-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: double posted by accident
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,280Posts Today

8,055Users online

Martin's Twitter