Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Devonbiker
    • By Devonbiker 11th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Devonbiker
    Credit Score Insight please
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:46 AM
    Credit Score Insight please 11th Apr 18 at 9:46 AM
    Hi,
    So my credit rating seems to be dropping every time I look at it lately and I have no idea why.
    I am on the electoral roll, havent moved around a lot, I have been in two jobs in the last 7 years, I have had credit that has been paid on time, no defaults, I still have credit (not lots) that I pay on time and not just the minimum and have cancelled unused cards and closed unused accounts.
    I recently came into some money and paid off a personal loan in full and currently have no outstanding debt, apart from a PCP on a bike that I pay on time every month, I also use a personal credit card for work expenses, which I reclaim and pay off regularly.
    Just reading the reasons your credit rating may not be great, I dont fit any of the criteria. It would seem that I should have a great rating.
    Any insight please?
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:57 AM
    Because the scores and ratings are made up and are to be ignored.

Just concentrate on the history and raw data on your file.

Check your report with all 3 CRA's as well
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 11th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:36 AM
    From what you have written there does not appear to be any adverse information on your credit files. Stop worrying about this number. If you experience actual problems with credit applications then start to look into what might be the problem.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 11th Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 710 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    Hi,
    So my credit rating seems to be dropping every time I look at it lately and I have no idea why.

I am on the electoral roll, havent moved around a lot, I have been in two jobs in the last 7 years, I have had credit that has been paid on time, no defaults, I still have credit (not lots) that I pay on time and not just the minimum and have cancelled unused cards and closed unused accounts.

I recently came into some money and paid off a personal loan in full and currently have no outstanding debt, apart from a PCP on a bike that I pay on time every month, I also use a personal credit card for work expenses, which I reclaim and pay off regularly.

Just reading the reasons your credit rating may not be great, I dont fit any of the criteria. It would seem that I should have a great rating.

Any insight please?
    Originally posted by Devonbiker
    Hi Devonbiker,

Sadly the credit reporting agencies (CRAs) do not tell you everything. There have been numerous reports on this site of credit scores falling after doing something positive like repaying loans early or cancelling unused cards.

It appears that any change to your credit history will result in a reduced credit score. Hence the advice on this site is to ignore the score. It is not reported to lenders and only benefits the CRAs by generating interest in their products.

The CRAs do charge for their premium products which update every day but you can also get them free of charge as follows although they are only updated monthly.

1) Experian via MSE Credit Club
    2) Equifax via Clearscore
    3) Callcredit via Noddle

You can also access your Callcredit report free from GiffGaff without any GiffGaff product and this updates every day.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,732Posts Today

8,045Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin